Mac geek help needed!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mac geek help needed!!!

Post by izzarina »

I'm at my wits end here. I did something to iTunes, and I can't for the life of me figure out what.

Yesterday, I received an iPod as an early birthday present ( :party: my dad felt badly because he had gotten one for my sister, so he got me one too...gotta love guilt ;) ) . Anyway, it was dead, so I plugged it in and all of that, let it charge for a while, and bought a tune off of iTunes. Nothing big. It was still charging, but I figured that I could still put a few tunes on it (according to the resident iPod experts in Casa Izz, which would be the teenagers :P ), so I did try to drag them onto my iPod, only to have this message pop up telling me this:
Horrifying Message from iTunes wrote:The song could not be used because the original file cannot be found. Would you like to locate it?
:o What in the WORLD did I do? Yes, I am totally computer illiterate (even on a Mac...just think of how bad it would be if I had a PC), so I have NO idea what to do to fix this, and when Mr. Izz comes home, I am sooooo dead for breaking iTunes. I did a search for mp3s and there seem to be none on the whole darn computer. There has to be a plausible, and easily fixable, explanation for this....please say that there is.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Mac geek help needed!!!

Post by fearfaoin »

izzarina wrote:I did a search for mp3s and there seem to be none on the whole darn computer.
iTunes saves files as .m4p files. Search for some of those.
Does the song show up in your playlist? Can you play it with iTunes?
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

It could be that you are logged in under a different user name than the one that the files were downloaded under. Look in /Users/username/Music and see if the files are there.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Your iPod is supposed to update automatically; you never have to drag files to it...that's the wrong way to do it.

In fact I bet the songs you bought are already on your iPod...transferring just one song takes a second or two and it probably happened so fast you didn't know it.

Dragging files to your iPod accomplishes nothing, unless the iPod is in disk mode, and even then if you drag music files to it you can't listen to them with the iPod. The only way to make it work is to let iTunes automatically update your iPod. Repeat: do not drag files to the iPod.

Just plug in your iPod and wait...iTunes will launch automatically and will updatate your iPod automatically. While this is happening your iPod will flash a warning that says "do not disconnect." Heed that warning, otherwise Bad Things will happen.

If this doesn't work, reset your iPod (different iPod models reset differently, so you should go to the Apple website, look for the support page, and you'll see instructions there for resetting your iPod) and try this procedure again: plug your iPod into the Mac and just wait, do nothing. It should update automatically, transferring any songs that are in your iTunes to the iPod. Just wait til that's finished (i.e. wait for the "Do Not Disconnect" message to disappear from your iPod's screen) before disconnecting your iPod.
izzarina

Re: Mac geek help needed!!!

Post by izzarina »

fearfaoin wrote:iTunes saves files as .m4p files. Search for some of those.
Does the song show up in your playlist? Can you play it with iTunes?
The tune I downloaded IS there. Plus it seems that there are a few, select other tunes there (for example,almost all of one cd, but not all of it), which ARE mp3 format. But there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it.

One other thing here...when you click on the song in iTunes (this apart from my iPod entirely), just to play it, you get that little window that I was talking about, AND then an exclamation point appears next to the tune, which looks like an error exclamation point type thing. What in the HELL does that mean???? :boggle:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

bradhurley wrote:Your iPod is supposed to update automatically; you never have to drag files to it...that's the wrong way to do it.

In fact I bet the songs you bought are already on your iPod...transferring just one song takes a second or two and it probably happened so fast you didn't know it.
I did know that is automatically transfers everything once you plug it in...I had to do the whole initial registering since it was new. But, my daughter said that you don't want to have iTunes do it for you (there is a TON of other stuff in there, like A Tale of Two Cities, Lord of the Rings, and other misc. music that I find to be disagreeable :P ), so she clicked something that made it so I would have to do it manually. Could this be the problem? See, I'm not even sure if it had to do with my iPod or not...that was just when I noticed the problem. Is there anyway that it could have been something to do with my download (maybe I unauthorized something I shouldn't have?). The darn thing worked a couple of days ago, but I didn't use iTunes at all yesterday until I went to put stuff onto my iPod. AAAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! I'm going to lose my mind!!!
:P
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

You should get a Windows PC.
/Bloomfield
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Bloomfield wrote:You should get a Windows PC.
I wanted to post that but didn't want to sink to their level :D
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

chrisoff wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:You should get a Windows PC.
I wanted to post that but didn't want to sink to their level :D
I've no qualms. And I've posted "buy a Mac" so many times, I'm entitled. :)
/Bloomfield
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Yeah, fine, have a hearty laugh over my plight. :P You guys are sooooo mean .

:wink:
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

izzarina wrote:Yeah, fine, have a hearty laugh over my plight. :P You guys are sooooo mean .

:wink:
If it's any consolation I had a similar problem with my Sony Walkman, but that's more due to Sony's awful software than anything I did. Lost a whole heap of stuff I'd downloaded or ripped.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Izz,

I'm on PC with iTunes, but no iPod. The tunes go on my mobile phone. There is an automatic update, but there are too many tunes in my library for the phone - it's only got scope for 100 tunes.

So what I do is create a playlist. It's "My favourite 100 tunes" (from what I have).
(I do this so seldom that I can't remember what I need to do. I just listen to my favourites over and over again...)
But you tell it to load the playlist. I don't know what it does on the mac, but it can't be THAT different. It's the same application (or should be...)

...I'd agree with the others that it's likely to be an ownership/permissions/identity problem. Your itunes may not be your daughter's itunes.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

izzarina wrote:
bradhurley wrote:Your iPod is supposed to update automatically; you never have to drag files to it...that's the wrong way to do it.
I did know that is automatically transfers everything once you plug it in...I had to do the whole initial registering since it was new. But, my daughter said that you don't want to have iTunes do it for you (there is a TON of other stuff in there, like A Tale of Two Cities, Lord of the Rings, and other misc. music that I find to be disagreeable :P ), so she clicked something that made it so I would have to do it manually. Could this be the problem?
iTunes is set up by default to automatically synch up its contents with the contents of the iPod whenever the iPod is connected to the computer. Not unlike a database replication, if you know anything about that. If you don't, don't worry about it. What that means is that anything that's on the iPod but not yet in iTunes will be moved to iTunes, and vice versa. (The movement of new music files from iTunes onto the iPod is the most common path; probably the only time you'd ever have anything on your iPod that's not already in your iTunes would be if you use your iPod as a recording device - as I do.) I do have to caveat what I've said, though, by pointing out that I don't have any experience with using iTunes in a multi-user mode, as it sounds like you may be doing together with your daughter, i.e. feeding more than one iPod from the same instance of iTunes on one computer. But my guess is that the way it would work would be to only move files from your library in iTunes onto your iPod, and from your daughter's library to her iPod. This would be based of course on how you set up your accounts in iTunes and your personal iPods in the first place.

But, as you have noticed, the default setup is to move the entire contents of the iTunes library onto the iPod, and there are apparently files in iTunes that you don't want on your iPod. There is a way around this, however, as I found out myself because I had the same problem. I can't give you the details of how to do it, though, because i'm not sitting at my Mac right now. But if you go into the iTunes online help, the instructions are there - that's how I found them. You can select particular music files and/or playlists to be replicated or not whenever the automatic updates happen. You make the selection manually, but the update still happens automatically when you plug the iPod into the computer. You don't drag and drop anything while the iPod is connected. If your daughter knows about this, chances are she knows how to do it - or if not, she will be able to figure it out a lot quicker than you will because kids always understand computer stuff better than us old fogies do. So ask her to show you how it's done.

One other thing. If you already have stuff on your iPod that you don't want there, you can delete it directly from your iPod on a file-by-file basis via the iPod's click-wheel control, and you should do it before you plug the iPod back into your computer, not while it's plugged in.

(BTW, Bloomfield, I'm pretty sure this all works the same whether you're running iTunes on a Mac or on a Windows machine. And if for some reason it doesn't, unlike most software it should run better on the Mac than on Windows, because iTunes and the iPod both come from Apple and not from Bill Gates. But you probably already knew that, didn't you?)
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

iTunes only automatically updates you Ipod if you have your iPod set up to do that. When you first plug your iPod in, the first screen that comes up gives you the option to have it manually synched or auto synched. When I first set up my iPod, I chose to do it manually because I have stuff on there that I don't need to have on my iPod such as videos and pictures. If you do change it to manual sync then it will empty everything off of your iPod and you'll have to manually drag everything over that you want on there.
Note: I use a PC so I don't know if the Mac interface is different.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Turns out it wasn't me, it wasn't the iPod and wasn't even really iTunes at all (yay! I didn't do anything! :party: ). The problem seems to be in one of the hard drives...the computer can't "find" it or "recognize" it or whatever. That's not a good thing, I'm sure, but at least it wasn't me who did it :P