I have a musical dog

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I have a musical dog

Post by Redwolf »

I've discovered something fun about Wiley...he sings! Whenever I play the whistle, he joins in. The fun thing is, he clearly tries to match the ups and downs/shorts and longs of the tune I'm playing. When I'm done, he prances and wags his tail, as if he's very proud of himself!

I guess he really IS a California Curly Coated Coyote!* My old poodle never howled (though he would bark at the whistle). The downside is, I never get any practice in because a) I'm worried about disturbing the neighbors and b) I'm usually laughing too hard to play!

* Yes, I'm joking!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: I have a musical dog

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:I've discovered something fun about Wiley...he sings! Whenever I play the whistle, he joins in. The fun thing is, he clearly tries to match the ups and downs/shorts and longs of the tune I'm playing. When I'm done, he prances and wags his tail, as if he's very proud of himself!
Trying to match tones? Now that's cool. Get thee to the David Letterman show. That's not a dog, that's a meal ticket. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I always wonder about the intelligence of dogs that submit their extra sharp hearing to high pitches just to show companionship. He might be saying in dog talk "pleasestopouchpleasestopouchpleasestopouch"
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I can remember prancing and wagging my tail after a tune. Ah, but I was so much older then...I'm younger than that now.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
missy

Post by missy »

our boxers don't really mind the whistle too much, unless it's a high note. However, play the harmonica and they'll howl along with it, and keep on afterwards.
Our Wyley really likes bass however. A friend was over playing washtub bass, and Wyley laid down right next to it, touching it!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

This is all a great mystery to me.
We had a Boston Terrier that howled (pain? singing?) when my son played trumpet. But he was ambivilent to the fiddle, whistles, banjo, guitar, etc...
A friend's dog (very smart) spoke up regularly about my fiddle playing. (Very loud, howled compliments? Not likely.)
We now have a beagle that really doesn't care about any of them, except for the fact that they tend to steal away my attention.

I really do hope it's an ingrained pack instinct and not some excrutiating form of torture! :-?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Are you going to get one of those arrangements of old-style car-horns, so that Wiley can bite the rubber squeeze-ball and sound the notes?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mmccabe

Post by mmccabe »

My cat can't stand me playing my whistle, he lies on the end of my bed whilst I practice and gives me evil glares.

He also fidgets a lot; turning away from me...like that will make the sound quieter haha.
-Maddy
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Dogs that howl when you play an instrument or sing aren't expressing pain...they yelp or run away to express that. A dog that didn't like your playing would leave the room, or attempt to, and would quickly become frantic if the noise was painful and he couldn't get away from it. Among canines, the howl serves a social purpose...it "binds the pack" so to speak (or, when a dog is separated from the pack, it calls the pack to him). It's the same thing that wolves and coyotes do. Essentially, it's what humans do when they sing!

Dogs that howl at sirens are answering another pack. You'll see that among coyotes and wolves as well...in fact, if you're anywhere near a pack of coyotes and start to howl, they'll often answer you! (try that sometimes...it's fun!). The really interesting thing with wild canines is each animal takes his own note. If you start to howl along on a note one of the wolves has chosen, he will typically stop and then take a different note.

Redwolf the dog nerd
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

We had a little female miniature Schnauzer for 14 years. She was really my wife's devoted friend. My wife sings in the church choir and her little dog would sit in her lag and sing along when she practiced her music. She did a respectable job of changing pitch with my wife. Damnedest thing you ever saw. A number of our friends were amazed. The dog seemed to really enjoy this.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Glad to hear that your new buddy is really bonding! I've had very few dogs over the years that would react to music. My skye now apparently enjoys the piano since she comes and lays near whenever I play.

The funniest one is our dachshund mix who use to have a real running"fit" when I'd play Brown Haired Maiden on GHBs. Only that tune- none of the others did a thing. But as soon as I started that one up here he'd come and race all around the yard as long as the tune lasted. Then he'd go on back to what ever he was doing before. I haven't played them in a while, I oughta try it when the weather is nicer and see if he'll do it again.

The skye I have now will do her best to "talk" to us.I've never had one try so hard. All it takes is to talk to her and she really tries- she'll mimic whatever sound I'm making to her-if it's high, she's making whining type sounds, if it's regular conversation tones, she does them, so I can easily imagine how Wiley would make music with you.

Dogs are wonderful!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

The funniest one is our dachshund mix who use to have a real running"fit" when I'd play Brown Haired Maiden on GHBs. Only that tune- none of the others did a thing. But as soon as I started that one up here he'd come and race all around the yard as long as the tune lasted.
My husky did something like that today! I played the Brown Haired Maiden on my smallpipes, and she stared at me the whole time. Then when I finished (this was in the living room), she started running around the room, jumped on and off the couch, then bounded back into the kitchen. Crazy.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
The funniest one is our dachshund mix who use to have a real running"fit" when I'd play Brown Haired Maiden on GHBs. Only that tune- none of the others did a thing. But as soon as I started that one up here he'd come and race all around the yard as long as the tune lasted.
My husky did something like that today! I played the Brown Haired Maiden on my smallpipes, and she stared at me the whole time. Then when I finished (this was in the living room), she started running around the room, jumped on and off the couch, then bounded back into the kitchen. Crazy.
OK, someone needs to get a grant to study what it is about "Brown Haired Maiden" that gets dogs so hyper. Hmmmm, or maybe it's the obvious- a brown haired maiden perhaps? :P
John Foster West
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Well, it is the easiest 2/4 march I can think of. See how they respond to 'High Road to Gairloch.'
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cofaidh wrote:Well, it is the easiest 2/4 march I can think of. See how they respond to 'High Road to Gairloch.'
High Road doesn't do it for Floyd, only the Brown Haired.
John Foster West