From the History Channel...Star Trek Auction...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lost-in-North-Dakota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

From the History Channel...Star Trek Auction...

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

Forgive me if someone has already posted this here.

I was watching the History Channel, and they had a documentary about Star Trek and the 3-day auction at Christy's of all props, costumes, models, etc., related to the show.

The flute/whistle that Picard "played" in two episodes, with its box, went for $40,000. They showed a few seconds of Patrick Stewart commenting about the flute, and said, "It doesn't play, it's not a real flute."

Just a bit of flute/whistle trivia. If the History Channel plays the show again, the flute is shown in the last half hour of the 2-hour show.

Lost

P.S. The large model of the Enterprise from Star Trek-The Next Generation, went for $500,000.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

i quit watching once i saw what the whistle went for. i was hoping someone from here got it. although i have to admit, 40,000 for a non-working whistle, that's nuts. even the nuttiest of us have more sense than a bunch of trekkers.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
celtic_lass

Post by celtic_lass »

I was watching that show last night with my dad. That was insane! And they thought it might go for $800-1200. What a bummer that the whistle doesn't even work.
Sara
Jesus is the bridge beneath my strings, and the breath that blows my whistle.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Other items included:
Voyager-styled tricorder,
Vulcan Ears
USS Pegasus Model
Kazon Fighter Model
Enterprise E Model
Type 2 Phaser

(none of these were working either :))
dlovrien

Re: From the History Channel...Star Trek Auction...

Post by dlovrien »

Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote:They showed a few seconds of Patrick Stewart commenting about the flute, and said, "It doesn't play, it's not a real flute."
Next you'll be telling me the phasers didn't really stun either. Dang.
David Lovrien - 5 Second Rule & Trinity Hall Session Players - Dallas, TX
peeplj

Re: From the History Channel...Star Trek Auction...

Post by peeplj »

dlovrien wrote:
Lost-in-North-Dakota wrote:They showed a few seconds of Patrick Stewart commenting about the flute, and said, "It doesn't play, it's not a real flute."
Next you'll be telling me the phasers didn't really stun either. Dang.
It's ok. Really.

Who needs phasers?

Every part of the ship from the engines all the way down the to spoons and the toilet seats could be programmed to emit a particle beam. :boggle: :lol: :party:

We don't need no stinkin' phasers. 8)

--James T.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I think THIS sums it all up nicely. ;)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Brian Lee wrote:I think THIS sums it all up nicely. ;)
Here is the flipside:

http://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cgi?f ... erThanKirk

Live long and perspire,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yah, that Capn Kirk really played the recorder in that Star movie thing. Yeah. Goood tune too. Sounded like the Aran Boat Song, but not as good.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

Looking closely at the whistle he played, it actually looks like a well-decorated Clarke. The straight, angled fipple looked just like it; however, for the Inner Light theme, it actually sounds like a feadog or generation from some of the distortion inbetween some of the notes in the higher register that are reminiscient of manufactured whistles.

Here's a nice montage/music video someone made of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUKsNM15W0
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
FearNot

Post by FearNot »

So, the question still remains... is there some way to get a copy of the music? The video is.. incredible. I'd love to have a copy of it also.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

The Weekenders wrote:Yah, that Capn Kirk really played the recorder in that Star movie thing. Yeah. Goood tune too. Sounded like the Aran Boat Song, but not as good.
Recorder? You mean like that thing Milli Vanilli used? That's so 80's! But they weren't allowed to show fipples on TV back then anyway, so that's why they went with that little feral flute thing or whatever. Anyway, that show sucked after Dr. Smith got kicked off over that thing with Penny. Good thing it turned out OK with the obelisk and everything. Cool show.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
FearNot

Post by FearNot »

Regarding the recording on YouTube... what key whistle is used? Being VERY new to this I haven't developed the knowledge or ear yet to pick it out. It sound high to be a soprano D. Just curious.
BEC

Post by BEC »

Quite a bit more about it all here: http://users.pandora.be/geert.bonte/tre ... flute.html

I just tried playing along with a couple of the links on this page on a D and it does not work. I seem to remember when I was looking into this some time ago that it's actually on an Eb on the show. I will have to try that tomorrow.

There are several versions of the song out there....
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

BEC wrote:Quite a bit more about it all here: http://users.pandora.be/geert.bonte/tre ... flute.html

I just tried playing along with a couple of the links on this page on a D and it does not work. I seem to remember when I was looking into this some time ago that it's actually on an Eb on the show. I will have to try that tomorrow.

There are several versions of the song out there....
The keys for the first four audio links on that page are Eb, D, Eb, D. Set your phasers on 3rd octave D though (i.e., to kill).