Anyone else with an allergy to certain woods?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
franco
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone else with an allergy to certain woods?

Post by franco »

I know this isn't a medical forum, but I thought it the best place to ask. I developed an allergy to blackwood some years ago when I owned a Sam Murray flute. I was only starting out and done some incredibly ridiculous things in trying to continue playing even when the area below my bottom lip was red raw after the skin had peeled away.

My question for those of you who have had such an allergy is does the skin ever flair up for any other reason? I find that when my immune system is down and I have a cold or something, the part just under my lip kind of gets a bit of an itchy rash and three or four tiny scabs on the skin, just the same way you might get a coldsore.

I was told by a GP that allergies are not specific to any particular body part, but that is just not borne out by the symptoms I get. Whatever my body has learned in reponse to blackwood it seems to give special attention to that area just below my lip.
Flute for thought.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

franco wrote:I was told by a GP that allergies are not specific to any particular body part, but that is just not borne out by the symptoms I get.
We've had some long discussions about this. I've called it sensitisation rather than allergy as I thought the two were different, and yet those here with the knowledge have mentioned that sensitisation is no different than allergy and can be called such. I don't know, so I have to accept that. It's entirely probable that your average GP is unaware of the implications of topical exposure to exotic hardwoods. It's not exactly a commonplace health issue, after all.

Oh, and yes, I have this problem, too. I must have lip plates set in the headjoint now, as I dislike a beard and a soul patch makes me look silly.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
franco

Post by franco »

I got a few more hits on Google using the word "sensitisation", but I still can't get my head round the reason for my immune system having the memory to target this particular area of skin just below my lip even when no material has come into contact with it. I have not played a wooden flute for years, or a silver flute for weeks.

The only possible thing I can come up with is that I am allergic to my own hair growing out of that part of my face, but that also sounds like a stupid theory. Like the GP said an allergy should not be to a specific area :-?
Flute for thought.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't fully get it either. Apparently the skin of the fingers is resistant enough compared to that of the lip area. Thickness, or less porosity, perhaps? I can tell you that my finger pads have a sort of thickening of the skin that I suspect is due to the contact, but no irritation. If I rub the area below my lip after playing wood flute, I'll feel a slight burn, but it's nothing like the direct contact effect.

One thing about sensitisation contact allergy is that apparently once you've got it, it only gets worse with repeated contact. So, you either need to grow facial hair, get a lip plate, play boxwood or synthetic, or go all metal.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
franco

Post by franco »

I went all metal years ago, although bamboo or boxwood do not have a very adverse effect. For some reason bamboo causes chapping of the skin on my fingers, but not much of a reaction on the face.

That was another thing a GP told me which proved him ignorant. He said that I should also get the same allergic reaction with hands, and the underside of the forearms, but that was wrong. It seems to me that the area where the flute makes contact with the face is some of the thinnest skin on the human body. It seems to be thinner than the lower arms and hands.
Last edited by franco on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flute for thought.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Another option may be Cooktown ironwood. Several makers use it, and I haven't read of anyone having an allergy to it. Great wood, too, although I could be biased. I really like my ironwood glp.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

thats right. the lip area is the thinnest part of skin of your whole body.
hence the red colour!

but why that is the place that is most sensitive to wood allergies, is beyond me.

berti
cocusflute

Dweezil rocks

Post by cocusflute »

If I shave my beard I get a local irritation from the flute against my lower lip. As soon as I grow it back the irritation lessens. The beard keeps the area from reacting- I think it's more a local irritation caused by pressure rather than an allergy to cocus or blackwood.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

In addition to the thin nature and sensitivity of the mouth area there is also moisture involved. This amplifies and facilitates contact. Your finger tips are pretty tough (thick) and dry. Hence you'll have fewer problems there.

The condition is called allergic contact dermatitis.

I'm allergic to some rosewoods but not blackwood. My reaction however is not of the contact dermatitis ilk, but rather, a respiratory reaction.

I choke and swell up in my throat and lungs....nice.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
scheky

Post by scheky »

I have the same problem as Doc does. My Blackwood Thin Weasel actually made me unable to play for months (prolonged contact as I didn't even consider that it could be the cause).

At this point, I simply avoid all woods to be safe. Metal whistles and delrin flutes work great for me.
franco

Post by franco »

Although the issue for me is why this rash decides to show up on that area of skin below my bottom lip when I have not played any flute for weeks?

It seems to be related to the immune system being low, but that is not supported by the evidence medically which says allergies don't cause these types of rashes without contact with the offending material. Right now I have a cold, a coldsore, a sore on my tongue, and this "flute rash" which I haven't had for years.

I'm going to try and find a dermatologist on line to get an answer.
Flute for thought.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

My bottom lip would become irritated whether I played on wood or composite either one. I started shaving that area with an electric razor insted of a blade. Pretty much took care of it. :swear: :boggle: :moreevil: :oops: :-? :D :( :o :wink: :P :party: :devil:
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

franco wrote:Although the issue for me is why this rash decides to show up on that area of skin below my bottom lip when I have not played any flute for weeks?

It seems to be related to the immune system being low, but that is not supported by the evidence medically which says allergies don't cause these types of rashes without contact with the offending material. Right now I have a cold, a coldsore, a sore on my tongue, and this "flute rash" which I haven't had for years.

I'm going to try and find a dermatologist on line to get an answer.
I know that it is against the rules to give medical advice, but I can't help myself in this particular instance. Your problem seems apparent. Your name is Franco, and you live in London, England. I may be mistaken, but I think that if you return to France your problems will begin to subside. I once read about a similar condition to yours in a novel. I think the main character in the book also became allergic to London.

On a more serious note, I am guessing that in addition to your blackwood allergy or sensitivity you may be sensitive to a number of other things in your lifespace (things that you eat, touch, smell, or breathe). If you are suspicious of a possible offender, I would try to eliminate that for awhile and see if your condition improves. That is not medical advice; that is just common sense.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Go see a dermatologist.

In my experience, once skin has had a serious bout of this sort of contact dermatitis it's just loooking for an excuse to flare up. It may be that the herpes virus from the cold sores has taken advantage of the compromised nature of that part of your lip.

Could be the shaving thing is aggravating it too. One could try an electric razor. This is not medical advice. It's shaving advice. :)

Go see a dermatologist or a good veterinarian.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Yeah, at this point it looks like franco's issues are NOT due to exotic hardwood contact at all. After some days with no contact, irritation should go away completely. So, we're talking something else here.

Pretty much ends the conversation unless someone wants to cover contact allergy re: flute playing some more.

Just to mention that while some people are prone to contact irritation due to friction and pressure, the allergic dermatitis is something else, and pretty knowable for what it is. As symptoms increase over time, you get a burning sensation, redness - sometimes purpleness - little blisters, and seepage. It's not unlike poison ivy rash. If the condition is advanced enough, you'll feel the burn almost instantly even after a couple of years of noncontact. It sucks, and it hurts, but it goes away so long as you have no direct contact.

I'm glad I don't have Doc Jones' reaction, though. I would have expected that only if one played a flute that came from the shop uncleaned of its wood-dust. Which reminds me: mine did. It wasn't obvious, but the cleaning it had been given was no more than a dry wipedown, which would be fine for most people. I didn't think of the possibility and so I got a reaction even with the lip plate until I wised up and cleaned - CLEANED - every frickin' surface from case exterior to cap screw with a vacuum cleaner, soft damp cloth and cotton swabs. You couldn't see the stuff, but the cleaning-rag definitely told the tale. Took about three runs at it until I was satisfied. No trouble, now.

Clean your new flutes, people. Just in case.