$100 for whistles and I'm stumped...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Duckrasta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Duckrasta »

So I currently have some money which I naturally would like to spend on whistles. But I don't know what to get. On one hand, I am thinking about taking the plunge into high-end whistles, possibly a Burke. The idea of finding the "perfect" D is very appealing. On the other hand, this may be my chance to try the low d. At this price range, it would most likely be a Dixon. On the third hand (how does that work??), perhaps I should wait and get a high-end low whistle, like an Overton or a Burke. So there is my dilemma. I hope some of you C&F folks will give me some advice. Of course, you can't really go wrong with whistles.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Get yourself a good high d whistle. A Burke d of any design is a reliable choice. Low D can wait...it will hurt your hands at first. Another option would be a Water Weasel from Glenn Schultz. Good luck.

:smile:
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Or you can buy a whole truckload of Generations and look for "that perfect whistle"! :smile:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-10-11 14:12, fiddling_tenor wrote:
Or you can buy a whole truckload of Generations ...
Not if you buy them at Shanna Quay, you can't. :smile:
/Bloomfield
C4

Post by C4 »

I wonder if one could spray paint those ugly water weasels??? Has anyone tried??? :razz:
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Careful Bloomfield....:wink:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

weasels ugly ???
Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.
My water weasels are pieces of art. Some maybe see "The Ugly Duckling", but I see the beautiful Swan....
The more plumbing type lettering on them, the better.
When I'm occasionally asked about that "flute" thing I'm playing wiht the beautiful sound, I quite enjoy telling people about its humble & modest beginning as a piece of plumbing. I particularly enjoy this when I've just been playing duet with the flautist next to me with the $2,000 instrument, accompanied by the guitarist with the $3,000 6-string, and the keyboard player with the $5,000 Yamaha claviwhatever.
Fortunately haven't yet had anybody outside my family with nerve enough to say that what I play coming out of it is very close to what plumbing pipe normally carries.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-10-11 14:35, bob baksi wrote:

Fortunately haven't yet had anybody outside my family with nerve enough to say that what I play coming out of it is very close to what plumbing pipe normally carries.
We have a local plumbing firm called 'Danny Boy Plumbers'. Their slogan: the pipes, the pipes are calling.
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

This is kind of hard without knowing what type of whistle you like, but I'll share my choices. My wife has said that I can get $100 of whistles for Christmas, so here is my current list.

1. Hoover Brass D
Dixon Low G
$97
I've heard awesome things about the Hoovers, and would like a quiet whistle for playing at home. The Hoover is also supposed to be very pure and non-chiffy, which is what I happen to like. I also would like to start getting into low whistles, and the Dixon Low G seems like a good choice. It gets good reviews for sound, and is an easy way to head towards a low D.

2. Burke AlPro D
$100
Burke whistles are all good, from what I hear. If you're going to play, why not play a superb whistle. Pure sound with medium volume is what I seem to have surmised.

3. Silkstone PVC
Dixon D
$101
I listened to some samples on Clips 'n Snips, and I LOVED the sound of the Silkstone PVC. So pure and sweet. They have a "Goldring" which is supposed to be quieter, but I've heard it is not that much quieter. The Dixon D is because I've wanted one for a while and I had $15 left to go to reach $100.

4. Parkhurst Copper D
$80
What a great looking whistle! And it has a nice sound. For $35 more, you can add a C body, which if I ordered I would probably do.

There is my wish list. We'll see how Santa treats me.

John Mac
C4

Post by C4 »

Well all I have is a clark in high D...So what do I really know??? Actually I cant decide whether to get a Water Weasel or one of those Elfsong whistles...Its between a really pretty one and an ugly one...But which one sounds best??
but alas, I am but a poor housewife and have to beg money from my dh..So it will be awhile yet before I can buy anything......
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Well, my only Hoover D is a narrow bore. Pure tone, VERY, VERy, VEry, Very quiet. I love it to death as a practice whistle, but probably wouldn't buy it as my first high-end D, because it IS so quiet and also because it's minimal air requirements make it hard for me to hit the lower D/E when descending or playing very fast.

I tried the same bit, the first part of Sheebeg, Shemore on a Silkstone PVC D, Parkhurst D and a Water Weasel D. To tell the truth, I can't see much difference. Tone is very pure on all three. The Weasel and Silkstone are a bit louder. The other "advantage" they might be said to have on the all-copper, wooden-plugged Parkhurst is that they aren't as finicky about being warmed up first.

The only advice I'd offer between them is if you're going to play outdoors or with others, the plastic whistles would probably be a better choice, but if you're playing is alone and indoors, the less expensive Parkhurst would look very attractive. And if you're nice, Dave might even agree to engrave your initials on it - which is sorta cool all by itself. At least he did for me all those many months ago.
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

c4, in case you didn't know it, elfsongs are running a special this month and next where you get a combo set of two whistles for the price of a single. looks like a great deal. tempting, eh? (the eh added because Sandy is Canadian)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Is the Elfsong special two whistles for the price of one, or is it two bodies and one mouthpiece?
Reasonable person
Walden
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Duck, there's no such thing as the perfect whistle. The whole reason for WhOA is that there are many whistles that are almost perfect. And, I think for every JessieK, who's has a single favorite whistle for quite some time, there's a chas, who sometimes has two favorites, sometimes many more.

The question is: do you have a high-D whistle that you really really really like? If not, you'd probably do to get a really good high-D before you branch into other keys.

That said, I would concur with the several other posters who say Burke. Aluminum if you like a pure sound, wide bore brass if you like something with a little chiff.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Get a Hoover AND a Dixon and you'll still have money left over (plus two good whistles).
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato