For fans of The Quiet Man..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

For fans of The Quiet Man..

Post by brewerpaul »

A trip to a local used bookstore last week turned up a book called The Quiet Man And Other Stories by Maurice Walsh. I had always assumed the movie was an original, but I guess not. Mine is a paperback, printed in 1992.
The story of The Quiet Man in this book is very different from the movie: Hollywood used it as the bare-bones idea for a film and went hog-wild (and I don't mean that as a criticism, 'cause I love the movie). Many of the movie characters don't even exist in the short story and the ones that do are quite different. There are 4 other longish short stories in the collection, and they share characters freely between them. A real Irish flavor ties everything together and I enjoyed the stories immensely. This seems to be a fairly rare find, so good luck in your search.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tril Bluejacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

Thanks, brewerpaul. The book is available at Amazon. I'm going to send for it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Man-Other-S ... 1570981396

It's also available at AmazonUK
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Old editions of this book are rare. Take a look on amazon.com to see what used book stores are asking for these. You may be pleasantly surprised!
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

swizzlestick wrote:Old editions of this book are rare. Take a look on amazon.com to see what used book stores are asking for these. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Oops! Didn't notice at first that you said paperback. Still a great find!
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Please tell me that Trooper Thornton is still Trooper Thornton. Any specific mention of Ward Bond or Barry Fitzgerald? :lol:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

swizzlestick wrote:
swizzlestick wrote:Old editions of this book are rare. Take a look on amazon.com to see what used book stores are asking for these. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Oops! Didn't notice at first that you said paperback. Still a great find!
Especially for $3.95!
Ward Bond was the priest, right? No, no mention of him. There IS a character named Micheleen O'Flynn, but he bears no resemblence in any way to the Barry Fitzgerald character. I kept waiting for those two terrific characters to appear and was disappointed when they didn't. In most ways, I really like the movie better than the short story,but as background and for a good feel of Ireland during and after the Black and Tan wars, the book is excellent.
Got wood?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Paul, I hope you realize that your subject line has likely excluded Dubhlinn from what is, in truth, a literary discussion and therefore right up his alley. :wink: :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I have great memories of The Quiet Man. My wife wouldn't watch it simply because she thought it was "just another John Wayne movie." Then on our first overseas trip together (to Ireland, naturally), we were in our B&B in Glendalough on a cold rainy night and there was a VCR in the room, with lots of movies to pick from. Since she had nowhere else to go, she watched the movie with me and ended up loving it. Now we watch it every September, and remember that wonderful rainy night in Ireland.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

blackhawk wrote:I have great memories of The Quiet Man. My wife wouldn't watch it simply because she thought it was "just another John Wayne movie." Then on our first overseas trip together (to Ireland, naturally), we were in our B&B in Glendalough on a cold rainy night and there was a VCR in the room, with lots of movies to pick from. Since she had nowhere else to go, she watched the movie with me and ended up loving it. Now we watch it every September, and remember that wonderful rainy night in Ireland.
Darvis, that's a wonderful story. And it reminds me that I should rent it to watch with my own wife - I haven't seen the movie in years, and she never has.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I wrote a poem with a reference to The Quiet Man in it.

Thought I'd share.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

DCrom wrote:
blackhawk wrote:I have great memories of The Quiet Man. My wife wouldn't watch it simply because she thought it was "just another John Wayne movie." Then on our first overseas trip together (to Ireland, naturally), we were in our B&B in Glendalough on a cold rainy night and there was a VCR in the room, with lots of movies to pick from. Since she had nowhere else to go, she watched the movie with me and ended up loving it. Now we watch it every September, and remember that wonderful rainy night in Ireland.
Darvis, that's a wonderful story. And it reminds me that I should rent it to watch with my own wife - I haven't seen the movie in years, and she never has.
Thanks, Dana, I bet your wife would really enjoy the movie as well. Hey, it's a cultural experience. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

It's definitely the most "un John Wayne-like" John Wayne movie I've ever seen.
Got wood?
bubbledragon

Post by bubbledragon »

I love John Wayne. Reminds me of my grandfather. They've been playing that movie a lot recently, I think because of the lead up to the awards last night.

I read the wikipedia article on it a while back, and the price the rights for the short story sold for was something obscene like $10 or something!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

At the risk of annoying Dub (as if he's likely to look at this thread!), I love that movie.

**buddhu dons troll hat**

Rural Ireland is, quite often, exactly like a mixture of The Quiet Man and Father Ted. :P

**Furtively slips troll hat back in pocket**
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.