Who is the best high-end whistle maker in your opinion?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

who do you think makes the best high-end whistles?

Copeland
11%
O'Riordan
15%
Schultz
8%
Sweetheart
6%
Busman
8%
Burke
19%
Abell
11%
Overton
23%

Total votes: 53

Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

If you had Humphrey listed, then that's what I probably would have voted for. As I mentioned in other threads, I also really like my Hudson Winds whistle too. Both for overall playability, sound, and looks.

For pure beauty you can't beat Copeland and Abell, they're almost perfect. They play really well too, if you can handle the pressure needed on the highest few notes.

-Brett
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Re: Who is the best high-end whistle maker in your opinion?

Post by Bretton »

The Whistle Collector wrote:ok guys, i just wanted all of your opinions on some of the most used whistle makers out there. i know it is really hard to say that, but i mean what is your favorite and most perfect whistle for you?and why?i would really like to know more about you and all of your styles. if i forgot one that you like, please state which one it is.(this is just for some of the most known whistles)
Another take on this...

I've been playing whistle for about seven years now. I've tried 80% of the available whistles on the market in high D (low-end and high). I tried one, found it lacking in some way (sometimes a very minor way) and moved on to the next one. I did this for years!

When I started playing Humphrey whistles, I stopped searching (mostly). For the past three years or so I've played a Humphrey RetroFit Head on an Oak body, a Humphrey PVC whistle, and a Humphrey brass whistle (this last one has been my only high D for almost two years). I've been very satisfied with these whistles. They are, for me, the best balance in playability, sound, looks, and price. YMMV!

-Brett
WhistlingArmadillo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

I'll have to vote Humphrey too, although my whistle collection is mostly cheapies (so I don't know much about most of the high-end ones). I do like my Burke narrow bore brass, but I keep coming back to my Humphrey for most of my playing.
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I will state my opinion on my higher end whistle favorites. The two top whistles are Alba Q1 and Humphrey pre-stealth D. That said I play my Feadogs, Generations and Waltons as much as these. My favorite low whistle is a Casey Burns Folk Flute.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

Wow. When I first got involved with this board (about 6 or 6.5 years ago), Copeland would've gotten more than 3 out of 35 votes (the tally at the time of my post). The obvious reason is that some of the others didn't even exist then, but I think that the general feeling used to be that Copeland was the best of the best.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

No Reyburn, Lon Dubh, Silkstone, Rose or Greenwood.

All should be included in that list to make it a real horse race.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

wow, i need to look up Humphrey and Hoover too, this is really what i wanted, just some new whistles to look up and research on. i am sorry if i didnt add your whistle of choice, thank you for some new whistles to look at. :)plus, i am shocked also that some of these whistles didnt get as many votes as i thought they would. and i would add all those whitstles in that i am hearing of, but i cant edit the poll.
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

patrickh wrote:No Reyburn, Lon Dubh, Silkstone, Rose or Greenwood.

All should be included in that list to make it a real horse race.
...and O'Brien. Forgot how much I like that new D in Zebrawood...
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

We should start a new thread with all the different makes listed, Sindt, Humphrey, etc. I wonder how it would change the overall count.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

blackhawk wrote:We should start a new thread with all the different makes listed, Sindt, Humphrey, etc. I wonder how it would change the overall count.
i think i am going to do that, great idea blackhawk :thumbsup:
actually, i tried that and it wont let me do that becaues there isnt enough room to add a few more :( sorry for not adding them, because i did look up all the ones posted on here that i didnt mention or really know about, and they were truly lovely.
Last edited by pipersgrip on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Reyburn!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Another high quality maker that I haven't seen mentioned here yet (I haven't read all the posts, so I may have missed it) is Alba. Those are some of the best whistles made today.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I play Low Whistles, and love Copeland, Burke, Overton...and recently have been really learning the MK Low D. What a wonderful whistle! Can be reedy tender or notch it up and really wail. After a couple of months of steady playing (and comparing) I've gotta say the MK is a very high-quality musical instrument. Thank you Misha. (And hats off to ALL these great makers!!!)
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?