My fun for the afternoon!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:Are you calling me...French? *gasp*

;)
moi? :o
harpmaker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by harpmaker »

Brings back a line from an old Billy Joel song:

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners
Than cry with the saints.
The sinners are much more fun...."
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Denny wrote:Image
Oh, my goodness! What in the world?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

Cberry wrote:I may look crippled, but beware: I use my cane as a weapon like an old lady uses her purse.
Apparently, they use their canes, too.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

djm wrote:
Cberry wrote:I may look crippled, but beware: I use my cane as a weapon like an old lady uses her purse.
Apparently, they use their canes, too.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ional/home

djm
The 52 yo man couldn't bring himself to move over and let the 76 yo woman pass ... and he's offended ... cripes, but what a situation! I dare say I'd have cacked him myself!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

A boob by any other name ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cranberry wrote:Not all judgement is bad. For example, when I look out the window to see snow, I reasonably judge that it's cold enough for my heavy coat. When I see a person outside on that same day without any clothes running around screaming, I judge that there's something wrong with that person.

Judgement in and of itself is not what God condemns. It's judgement which is harmful ("Burn, fag!" type of proclamations) and serves no real purpose except to harm the other person. God judges (and forgives) over and over in the history of Israel and in the New Testament and if you believe that humans are supposed to be like God, that necessarily involves judgements of many sorts. But there is a difference. And it's not even that subtle of a difference, but so many people don't understand it. All those of us who believe can do is pray for them, and in turn try not to pass the same kind of harmful judgements onto them, it seems.
I wonder whether the judgment of them who "don't understand" and us "who believe" qualifies as anything but harmful. But never mind.

Anyway, good luck, Cranberry.
/Bloomfield
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bloomfield wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Not all judgement is bad. For example, when I look out the window to see snow, I reasonably judge that it's cold enough for my heavy coat. When I see a person outside on that same day without any clothes running around screaming, I judge that there's something wrong with that person.

Judgement in and of itself is not what God condemns. It's judgement which is harmful ("Burn, fag!" type of proclamations) and serves no real purpose except to harm the other person. God judges (and forgives) over and over in the history of Israel and in the New Testament and if you believe that humans are supposed to be like God, that necessarily involves judgements of many sorts. But there is a difference. And it's not even that subtle of a difference, but so many people don't understand it. All those of us who believe can do is pray for them, and in turn try not to pass the same kind of harmful judgements onto them, it seems.
I wonder whether the judgment of them who "don't understand" and us "who believe" qualifies as anything but harmful. But never mind.

You know what I'm getting at, Bloomfield.

It's nice to see you posting more again.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cranberry wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:

Actually, I don't.

I think we both don't want to start a religious debate. So just do me the favor and listen when I say that I have seen too many arguments that started from the premise "obviously it can't mean all that it says [whatever that is]" and then progress through seemingly innocuous nibbles until suddenly the truth is eaten up, or at least the spiritual thrust of an insight is consumed, with only a hollow distinction left in its place; some sort of distinction that condones doing what we've always done and that removes the uncomfortable sting of the original insight: it is always about us, not about them; it is about the beam, not the mote.
It's nice to see you posting more again.
Sorry, gotta run. ;)
/Bloomfield
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bloomfield wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: I wonder whether the judgment of them who "don't understand" and us "who believe" qualifies as anything but harmful. But never mind.

Actually, I don't.

I think we both don't want to start a religious debate. So just do me the favor and listen when I say that I have seen too many arguments that started from the premise "obviously it can't mean all that it says [whatever that is]" and then progress through seemingly innocuous nibbles until suddenly the truth is eaten up, or at least the spiritual thrust of an insight is consumed, with only a hollow distinction left in its place; some sort of distinction that condones doing what we've always done and that removes the uncomfortable sting of the original insight: it is always about us, not about them; it is about the beam, not the mote.
But it's not always about the "us." That's where the tension lies. If it were only about "us," there would be no "them" to cause conflict with. We have to acknowledge the other people as well as ourselves.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bloomfield wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: I wonder whether the judgment of them who "don't understand" and us "who believe" qualifies as anything but harmful. But never mind.

Actually, I don't.

But it's not always about the "us." That's where the tension lies. If it were only about "us," there would be no "them" to cause conflict with. We have to acknowledge the other people as well as ourselves. I don't think I understand what your "favor" is at all.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

No matter. Good luck, anyway.
/Bloomfield