place name tunes-- love 'em or hate 'em?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

place name tunes-- love 'em or hate 'em?

Post by Jennie »

I've been wondering about this one for a while...

When folks get off the tour bus at the Cliffs of Moher with their tin whistles and play that jig, do the locals roll their eyes and plug their ears? Do people in Ennystimon clamor for their namesake or run away when someone begins it? How cliche do these tunes get near their places of origin?

I learned the Glenn Allen reel and taught it to my neighbors up the road in Glennallen, Alaska. So far nobody's complained. But I'm planning a trip to a family wedding in Ireland and I want to make sure not to start a tune that will get the same kind of reaction as "Kum Ba Yah."

Any discussion appreciated!

Jennie
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I guess it would depend on if they actually do hear it all of the time. I wouldn't know.
Would a Canadian get sick of hearing "O Canada" or an American hearing "O Say Can You See"? I would imagine that any tune would get old when heard repeatedly (especially if played poorly repeatedly) regardless of the name.

I know that I get sick of hearing my national anthem sometimes... especially since folks tend to drag it out.

On the other hand, if it's a tune/song that a nation or community holds dear then maybe they wouldn't get sick of it?

Interesting question, Jennie.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Well, when I lived in Dingle, people played "The Dingle Regatta" often enough and didn't seem to get (too) sick of it. The tune that did drive musicians nuts there (and in many other places as well) was the Kesh Jig. Whenever some unknowing tourist would pull out his whistle and start warbling through that one, everyone else would stop playing and roll their eyes...There was a nice "localized" version of the Kesh Jig that they'd play instead though, sometimes in G, sometimes in A. Begley & Cooney play it on the "Meitheal" album.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: place name tunes-- love 'em or hate 'em?

Post by MTGuru »

Jennie wrote:When folks get off the tour bus at the Cliffs of Moher with their tin whistles and play that jig, do the locals roll their eyes and plug their ears?
As I recall, the Irish authorities have teams of "pushers" standing by for just this situation. These are similar to the guys who push commuters into the train cars on the Tokyo subway/metro. As soon as someone launches into "Cliffs of Moher" on the whistle they just purchased at the visitor centre gift shop, these teams rush forward and propel the vile miscreant over the edge onto the rocks below. As a side benefit, I understand that combing the base of the Cliffs at low tide is a great way to satisfy the most ardent case of WhOA.

:-)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: place name tunes-- love 'em or hate 'em?

Post by anniemcu »

MTGuru wrote:
Jennie wrote:When folks get off the tour bus at the Cliffs of Moher with their tin whistles and play that jig, do the locals roll their eyes and plug their ears?
As I recall, the Irish authorities have teams of "pushers" standing by for just this situation. These are similar to the guys who push commuters into the train cars on the Tokyo subway/metro. As soon as someone launches into "Cliffs of Moher" on the whistle they just purchased at the visitor centre gift shop, these teams rush forward and propel the vile miscreant over the edge onto the rocks below. As a side benefit, I understand that combing the base of the Cliffs at low tide is a great way to satisfy the most ardent case of WhOA.

:-)
Thou cad! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Actually, one of the (slightly inane) fun aspects of traveling around Ireland is recognizing familiar place names on road signs, maps, etc. "Wow, there's Lisdoonvarna!", that sort of thing. And those around you who are not members of the ITM secret society wonder what you're so excited about.

I was talking to an Irish non-musician I met here in San Diego once, when the phone in his pocket suddenly started blaring out "The Bucks of Oranmore" as a ringtone. So I asked him if he was from Oranmore, and he looked at me as if I were the Amazing Kreskin. :-)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The worst place to live would be in Danny Boy, County Meath.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

FJohnSharp wrote:The worst place to live would be in Danny Boy, County Meath.
What a horrible fate! :lol: That must be one of the levels of hell.

MTGuru, what's a Kreskin?

Jennie
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

MTGuru wrote:I was talking to an Irish non-musician I met here in San Diego once, when the phone in his pocket suddenly started blaring out "The Bucks of Oranmore" as a ringtone. So I asked him if he was from Oranmore, and he looked at me as if I were the Amazing Kreskin. :-)
Hah!

That reminds me of something similar: a friend of mine and I were playing a concert near Poultney, Vermont, in a little museum. One of the tunes we played was The Rolling Wave, and my friend introduced it by its other name, The Humours of Trim. He said, "we're not sure where Trim is exactly, but it's somewhere in Ireland," and a voice piped up out of the audience, "I'm from Trim!" It turned out this fellow was indeed from Trim and was visiting some relatives nearby for the week; he just happened to show up at our concert that night.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jennie wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:The worst place to live would be in Danny Boy, County Meath.
What a horrible fate! :lol: That must be one of the levels of hell.

MTGuru, what's a Kreskin?

Jennie
Here you go, Jennie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreskin

He's also got an official website if you're so inclined ... but careful, they'll try to sell you a video. (Of course, I already knew that. ;-))
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

You could always try "The Coast Of Austria" :lol:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think I'll rename the reel "Don't Bother Me" as "The Humors of Minneapolis".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

flanum wrote:You could always try "The Coast Of Austria" :lol:
I never really got the joke about the coast of Austria. Yes, I know Austria is landlocked, but it has not always been so. Trieste has been Austria's main seaport on more than one occasion. And it's a nice tune. It makes me think of Trieste.

I wonder how often they play the Cúil Aodh jig at Cúil Aodh?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Coming from Ballymun, on the northside of Dublin, the "Ballymun Regatta" kills me..realy kills me.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I'd imagine listening to nonmusical tourists blow through probably shoddy whistles would drive one crazy after a while regardless of what they were playing. Probably someone playing an even over-played tune well would be less likely to considered annoying than someone playing really badly.

And tourist behavior can be bizaar on more levels. I recall that the last time I was in Ireland, while standing in the rental car place parking lot, I saw some other tourists proudly taking pictures of their rental car...