whose the king of the cheapies?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

whose the king of the cheapies?

feadog
28%
generation
24%
susato
12%
acorn
2%
oak
9%
clarke
25%

Total votes: 129

MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

The Weekenders wrote:That recorder that Capn Kirk played on the star movie, that's what.
Since the "Ressikan flute" ended up selling at Christie's auction for $48,000, I'm not sure it counts as a cheapie! I do like the tassel, though. Got to get me one of them tassels. :-)
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jonharl »

The Acorn I have isn't very good, but it was cheap.
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

I voted Feadog since it's what I started on and really all I know at the moment. And it came with not only a book, but a cd.
bubbledragon

Post by bubbledragon »

I'll vote feadog, but I've only got a walton's. It's quite nice. I'll play it until I'm good enough to determine whether quirks and tweaks and squeaks are my own doing or the whistle's!
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I don't think of a Susato as a cheapie -- a high D adjustable runs about $38 at Whistle and Drum. That's in more of an intermediate price range where you also find the less expensive Dixon Trad ($25) and Hoover Whitecaps. All whistles I really, really like, but it's not fair to compare them with $5 to $12 whistles.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I was thinking that Dixon should be on the list if Susato is. The Dixon Trad would probably be my first choice. If it needs to be cheaper ... a Clare 2 piece, which is also not on the list. So many whistles - so little time .... :D

Judy
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

The Feadog is a very good tin whistle and I´ve got a couple which I play with great enthusiasm from time to time. But there is something about the Clarke whistles... Especially the original Clarke model. It has that perfect tin whistle sound. Unfortunately it takes a lot of air, so I usually end up playing my Sweetone.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

My wife once said that I am the king of the cheapies.... hey, wait... that's not a compliment is it?
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
wannabwhistlechic

Post by wannabwhistlechic »

i like feadogs, nice sound and a good irish whistle
Andre

Post by Andre »

I voted Feadóg.
I really like the sound of the Sweetone, but my black Feadog really beats it and my Waltons (at least for me). :)
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

My Sweetone D&C with MEG heads are awesome (the original headpieces tend to squeak a bit more when pushed).

My Generation Bb and C are also very nice.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Clare.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Impempe. It's the same priceclass as Susato. Beautifully made, expensive looking and a VERY professional sound. It's my king!
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I love my Feadog. It's always the first whistle I grab.
Strom

Post by Strom »

This is just the 2 cents worth of a newbie but I have 9 whistles (Clark-Original, Sweetone D and C, and Meg, Feadog-Brass and Pro D, Generation in D, Walton in D and a Dixon non-tunable poly. All of these were less than $10 except for the Dixon which was $20. Now out of everything I have the Dixon is the one I reach for everyday. Being new I can't give you a "technical" answer as to why, but will tell you that to me it just sounds and feels right (or better, if you will) when compared to the other whistles that I have. I don't know all the diffrences in sound as well as many of the other posters but I do know this, the Clarks (Sweetones, Meg and Original) do have a very breathy sound. The Walton and Feadog both have a low D that is so atrocious that if I play in the yard every dog in the neighborhood runs for cover. The Generation seems average even though they get alot of mixed reviews. Anyway, I said all that to say this. Best for under a Twenty, Dixon non-tunable poly. Hope this helps but keep in mind that this is all subjective stuff from a new guy.

Strom