flute case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

flute case

Post by tin tin »

In my experience good, inexpensive simple-system flute cases are a little hard to come by, so I thought I'd pass on this recent find.

I've been keeping my flute in a basic plastic Doskosport pistol case, which works fine, but I've been looking for something more secure (where the flute doesn't just sit on the foam) and perhaps a little more stylish. Here's what I found last week at a sporting goods store:

http://www.vanguardusa.com/vgp.htm

The VGP 3201 is just big enough for a keyed flute with a split midsection, hygrometer, and cork grease. No messy foam cutting necessary; the diced foam is great--it can be plucked out to create slots for the various flute sections, so the flute is in the foam and not on it. And it looks more like an instrument case; people no longer think I'm bringing Allen wrenches to the session. I found it for $30, but I've seen it online for less.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I have a Vanguard case for my border pipes and it is great (VGP-13 or 13s). I will probably look for one for my GHB if I ever fly anywhere that requires me to check my pipes below. I had my eye on Vanguard cases for a while when one popped up on eBay ended up being less than $20 with shipping.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I've got a vanguard case for my flute as well, #GDS-7230C, although mine is branded Winchester. It's got plenty of room for my GLP, along with the cleaning rod as well as two compartments for cork grease, humidifier, etc. Mine has the eggcrate foam in it. I keep intending to replace the foam with the other type, and seem to forget to as often as I remember to. :boggle: Great cases.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

My keyless Murray showed up in one of those cases; it's great! Thanks for the line on where to find another -- I've wanted one for my keyed flute for a while.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

The Doskicil SPORT pistol case holds a Pratten-body flute perfectly.
Cost: $10 or less.

I love them.

dave
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yeah, but the Vanguards look sooooo cool. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

lol
makes you wish you could play the case, too, eh?

:D

you want cool cases? THESE are cool.....also expensive!!
I thought of commissioning one (Andrew Crawford is his name) a few years back......but way, way too much for me.
I LOVE the two-sided case holding the Quantz flute!

Want more?
http://www.fine-boxes.com/pages/nsfset_fc.html

nice fellow, too!

dm
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Yah ! Now those are cases...but don't forget the "Otter Box" sealed pistol cases....they can be used as humidors as well.....got a couple w/ the Gallagher...real nice...
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
sturob

Post by sturob »

The flute in the second case . . . anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

That's my boxwood Olwell in its new house, courtesy of Andrew.

I had no idea the pic was up on his site!

Stuart
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

My German friend, the master cabinet maker, almost has a flute box finished, Oak with a inlayed top and octagonal sides. The lid will be gasketed, with felt or leather. Stay tuned... I will post a photo if he ever finishes one!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

They are lovely boxes... trouble is if you went anywhere you'd be fretting about the box and the flute! So you end up with a case for a case as in the picture. Andrew does courses in box making as well which are rather tempting.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

treeshark wrote:They are lovely boxes... trouble is if you went anywhere you'd be fretting about the box and the flute!
I had the same thought; I'd be afraid it'd be sort of like having a Porsche Boxster ... thieves would just assume there's a Bose stereo system inside.

Of course, I've also wondered about having a pistol case or even a cool case like the Vanguards. Does it suggest contents far more attractive to a thief than the reality --- a warped wooden flute?

But wow, those are absolutely beautiful. Works of art, indeed.

On the other hand, maybe we should design a stealth case. Sort of like those black keys Maurice Reviol's putting on his flutes ... On a blackwood flute on stage, would anyone know that those blazing F naturals are assisted?? ;-)
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I inquired once to Andrew Crawford about making a case for me, but he said I'd have to send him my flute in order for him to fit it properly, and I didn't want to risk it...sending it overseas to England and then him sending it back. I asked if I could just send a scan but he seemed reluctant. So I went elsewhere...actually a very nice fellow in Texas named Matt McCullough ended up making one for me and I'm very happy with it. Patrick Olwell saw it last summer and said, "wow, who made that gorgeous case?" He loved it (as do I). There's info on Matt at the bottom of this page:

http://www.firescribble.net/flute/cases.htm
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

treeshark wrote:They are lovely boxes... trouble is if you went anywhere you'd be fretting about the box and the flute! So you end up with a case for a case as in the picture. Andrew does courses in box making as well which are rather tempting.
Can anyone here recommend a good flute case case maker? I'd like to get something in mahogany. Also, does anyone know of any sturdy ATA-style flute case case case brands?

Oh, and what are some good fabrics (e.g. Nylon, leather), for a flute case case case cover?
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

dpmccabe wrote:
Oh, and what are some good fabrics (e.g. Nylon, leather), for a flute case case case cover?
Good question, but wouldn't you need a flute case case case case cover to protect the fabric? :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.