Ebay -- "In original box"

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pazziato
antispam: No

Ebay -- "In original box"

Post by Pazziato »

Do you think they still have the receipt?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Uilleann-Ireland-Ba ... dZViewItem

Any idea who made these pipes? Do you think they are a product of our friends across the Indus?

Have a good week folks.
Nilihism is best left to the Professionals.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

They look too intricately made to be of Middle-Eastern origin.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

"I am sorry, I don't know much about Bagpipes, so if you have any questions, let us know."

:D

Ya think?
brianc

Post by brianc »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:They look too intricately made to be of Middle-Eastern origin.

Edited.... I no longer think they're from Pakistan.

Note the "H" style bass drone... I don't know of any Pakistan-made pipes that have this, though I could be wrong. And the wood - especially in the bellows, isn't typically found in Pakistani-made pipes (they typically use rosewood, almost throughout, IIRC).
Last edited by brianc on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

If it is indeed from someone who had it from 1980 onward, there's no chance it's pakistani. Maybe Wilkinson & McCarthy (They did like those frilly bags and my first set had indeed a bagcover looking exactly the same) or maybe a Leon Rowsome or something like that. It would be worth asking if the set is stamped at all with a maker's name.
Last edited by Cayden on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billh

Post by billh »

Doesn't look the Mid-East products I've seen before... brianc, what makes you so sure? Did M-E M change over from trumpet style bass drones, and get the stop key length right?
brianc

Post by brianc »

billh wrote:Doesn't look the Mid-East products I've seen before... brianc, what makes you so sure? Did M-E M change over from trumpet style bass drones, and get the stop key length right?
I've corrected my post - these are not by M-E-M.

It was tough to see, but I was initially looking for the almost knife-length drone switch. The materials, though, are what have me changing my mind.

I really do like the case, though - I'm thinking making one of my own, but the wood looks a bit thick, and that has me wondering if that case doesn't weigh quite a bit.
Last edited by brianc on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Q: Hi, Do you have a buy it now price? And would you ship them to New Zealand? Thanks

A: On the box latch it says Cheney and there is a copper coin used as a washer that says New Pence. Thanks Diane
Don't think its much good asking the seller any questions !!!!!

M-E-M = "Middle Eastern Maker" ?

John
brianc

Post by brianc »

Elmek wrote:
Q: Hi, Do you have a buy it now price? And would you ship them to New Zealand? Thanks

A: On the box latch it says Cheney and there is a copper coin used as a washer that says New Pence. Thanks Diane
Don't think its much good asking the seller any questions !!!!!

M-E-M = "Middle Eastern Maker" ?

John
M-E-M = Mid-East Manufacturers.... makers of uilleann and highland bagpipes, and many other instruments...located in Pakistan. They also do business under the name Mid-East Ethnic Instruments online.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That was informative. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

The British decimal two pence (2p) coin – often pronounced "two pee" – was issued by the Royal Mint on 15 February 1971, the day the British currency was decimalised. In practice it had been available from banks in bags of £1 for some weeks previously.

The coin was initially minted from bronze, but since 1992 it has been minted in copper-plated steel except for a few months in 1998 when bronze was used again. As copper-plated steel is less dense than bronze, post-1992 coins have been slightly thicker. The coin weighs 7.12 grams and has a diameter of 25.9 millimetres.

The reverse of the coin, designed by Christopher Ironside, is the Badge of the Prince of Wales: a plume of ostrich feathers within a coronet, above the German motto ICH DIEN ("I serve"). The numeral "2" is written below the badge, and either NEW PENCE (1971–1981) or TWO PENCE (from 1982) is written above. However, a small number of 1983 "New Pence" coins exist. These coins are rather rare, and are considered collectors' items.

:P
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

That means it was a British coin not an Irish one (they always use p I recall). Does that point to a British (I guess including NI) maker or do the Pakistanis's use pennies?
Simon
brianc

Post by brianc »

simonknight wrote:That means it was a British coin not an Irish one (they always use p I recall). Does that point to a British (I guess including NI) maker or do the Pakistanis's use pennies?
These are not Pakistani-made pipes. I have a hunch as to who owns thse pipes, but without confirmation, I'd rather not continue in the rumoring.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

I see more photos have been added but right click disabled so cannot post them here

A "British" coin on "Irish Pipes" - is this a case of 'The empire strikes back' :devil:

John
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

josh perkins wrote:The British decimal two pence (2p) coin – often pronounced "two pee" – was issued by the Royal Mint on 15 February 1971, the day the British currency was decimalised. In practice it had been available from banks in bags of £1 for some weeks previously.

The coin was initially minted from bronze, but since 1992 it has been minted in copper-plated steel except for a few months in 1998 when bronze was used again. As copper-plated steel is less dense than bronze, post-1992 coins have been slightly thicker. The coin weighs 7.12 grams and has a diameter of 25.9 millimetres.

The reverse of the coin, designed by Christopher Ironside, is the Badge of the Prince of Wales: a plume of ostrich feathers within a coronet, above the German motto ICH DIEN ("I serve"). The numeral "2" is written below the badge, and either NEW PENCE (1971–1981) or TWO PENCE (from 1982) is written above. However, a small number of 1983 "New Pence" coins exist. These coins are rather rare, and are considered collectors' items.

:P
But, can you tell me in which years the Queen's head on the obverse of the coin changed from young and slender-necked, to middle aged, to downright mature?

The first change was some time between 1980 and 1986, the second between 1997 and 1999.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing