Our doggie

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Our doggie

Post by Flyingcursor »

My favorite pet, a little hairy thing I think is a poodle, has an impacted bowell. He's 15 years old. I'm quite sad because I can't imagine things around here without him so I've decided that if they need to do surgery I''ll gladly pay the price. He's a very happy dog and other than cataracts and stupidity he has lots of life left in him. We've had him for 12 years and he was already 3 when we got him. His name is Pangy (soft G, i.e. panjy). My wife wanted to name him Benji and I thought that was idiotic so I suggested Pangy. That's idiotic too; but unique.

The dalmation is currently befuddled because she doesn't know why Pangy isn't here. So we sat on the floor and I petted her because I feel as lonely as she does.

It's pretty serious because his bowells are so badly mangled he might not make it. I honestly cannot find it within myself to give the go ahead to put him to sleep. My wife will have to decide.

I've never been a pet person but I love that annoying little yapping sh*t.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I will pray for your beautiful little "puppy." Even though they get bigger and grow old, they are still, in some senses, always your "puppy." I hope everything turns out ok for him and for you. *hugs*
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

I'm so sorry to hear your pet is not well--and I hope he pulls thru'. One of my 2 oversized pups will be 13 next month and is going all silver-faced and arthritic and milky-eyed on me--I can't imagine life without my brainless red shadow.

Hugs to you and your wife and dalamation--and to Pangy when (not if) he comes home.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Oh flyguy, that's terrible. I've been there all too many times and I know what a decision it is and the pain we share with our animal companions. It's a catch 22 all too often. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Be strong and know that whatever the outcome, Pangy knows you all care and you've done your best for him.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

That is tough. Hang in there Fly.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:...Even though they get bigger and grow old, they are still, in some senses, always your "puppy." I hope everything turns out ok for him and for you. *hugs*
What Cran said.

(*fingers crossed*)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

That's awful, Fly! I'm saddened to hear that. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and pray for a good outcome.
Cotelette d'Agneau
missy

Post by missy »

I'm sorry. It never gets easier, does it? But we still love having our furbutts around.
Here's hoping Pangy pulls through.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I understand your sadness.
This is a difficult time for you.
These little creatures are members of our families, and we love them so much.
Remember, your little one is counting on you to help him, however that may be. Strength.

M
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I know Pangy is getting excellent care. There are clearly many here who can well understand why this is such a terrible time for your family. It really is so horribly, horribly hard when a pet is sick. I will be hoping very much that you get some good news from the vet.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Hang in there. These little guys can surprise you. My Cedar recovered from a blocked bowel and intusseception when he was 13 years old, and lived to be 18.

Will keep you and Pangy in our prayers.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Hope for the best. If the decisions are difficult, make them together. Sounds like you had a great time together. Here's hoping the Pangy has three more bonus years for the three you missed at the start.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Best of luck with the pup.
The doc/nurse side of me needs to point out that these type of bowel problems are an increasing problem in dogs, cats and humans as we age. As difficult as it may be, you may want to consider that even if you pull Pangy through this episode, at his age it's not unlikely that it will return. Keeping him well hydrated is essential, but to paraphrase an old saying, you can lead a dog to water but you can't make him drink. Administering laxatives and/or stool softeners may help, but again, treating a non-cooperating animal may not be easy. I'm just saying... It's most definitely a difficult situation in any event-- I've been there with a number of cats.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Redwolf wrote:Hang in there. These little guys can surprise you. My Cedar recovered from a blocked bowel and intusseception when he was 13 years old, and lived to be 18.

Will keep you and Pangy in our prayers.

Redwolf
Intusseception is no fun at all, it's where the bowel in question telescopes back ontself. It is very painful and will cut off circulation to the bowel killing the tissue... and that is deffinately not a good thing at all.

Flydude, I am so sorry to hear of Pangy's plight. I will keep you both in my thoughts and pray for healing.
djm

Post by djm »

Perhaps you could post some pics of your pooch. If you don't know how you should pursue this to keep your mind off things.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.