Useful? How to Play the Flute in the Trad. Irish Style

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Useful? How to Play the Flute in the Trad. Irish Style

Post by azw »

Has anyone viewed the video, "How to Play the Flute in the Traditional Irish Style" by Mickie Zekley? Is it worthwhile for a beginner?
kenny

huh ?

Post by kenny »

"THE" traditional Irish style - singular ? Who is Mickie Zekley ?- genuinely curious.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have the video that you are referring to, and I watched it one time, if I remember correctly. I found the video a little hard to watch (*), although, if you are a fast learner, you may find the video helpful. The tunes are interesting, anyway.

* for the same reason that I didn't go into dentistry
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cocusflute

Heads up....

Post by cocusflute »

Mickie Zekley -- aka Shark in the Morning. Purveyor of unplayable Pakistani flutes.
I wouldn't buy the video, sight unseen.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Heads up....

Post by Nanohedron »

cocusflute wrote:Mickie Zekley -- aka Shark in the Morning. Purveyor of unplayable Pakistani flutes.
I wouldn't buy the video, sight unseen.
Word on the street is that Zekely no longer owns Lark In The Morning. Nothing's changed much for all that.

I got his video along with my first flute (yes, one of those infamous keyless Pakistani-made ogres...I was C&F-less at the time) and for some reason never even opened it, so I can't help there. Anyone else have experience with the video?

I have to say I first learned the set dance, The Orange Rogue, and the air, My Love is a Band Boy, from a recording of his playing, but it was years ago and I can't recall much about his chops except that even as a beginner I knew I'd be doing some things differently. Probably just a personal style thing, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
azw

Post by azw »

Thanks for the illuminating and humorous responses.

Doug, I'm a little surprised that you think wouldn't make a good dentist. With your strong handiwork skills (flute-making) and obvious social skills, you'd seem like a natural. The good dentists I've known were essentially artists. But I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to look into people's mouths day after day.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

There's big money in bite-wings! I pushed this with concept with the kids, but it didn't fly there either. (So much for early retirement). :sniffle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Mickey Zeakley has indeed divested himself of the retail portion of Lark in the Morning. He still conducts the famous Lark in the Morning music camp in the redwoods near Mendocino, California, affectionately known as "Camp Mickey". I vividly remember stopping at Mickey's house near Mendocino in 1990 to buy one of the Pakistani flutes (plus the video). He had six or eight of them on hand, and he played them all and handed me the best one. Cost: $100. It was my first flute, and I played it for about two years before moving on to a better instrument. I kept the Pakistani flute and loaned it to other beginners through the years. Not long ago, I grabbed it to take to a house party, and when I tried to play it, I discovered a very big crack in the headjoint. I wrapped electrical tape around the cracked area, and it works fine. Since I've developed a better embouchure these past years, I can actually make the flute sound pretty good. Remember though, this Pakistani flute was made nearly 20 years ago, so it is no doubt better than the current fare. As for the video, I wouldn't recommend it. As previously noted, it moves a bit fast and covers much more than a beginner can handle. All good and proper stuff, but way too much info for someone who has never played before.