Picture of your bike thread

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Cool thread :)

Here's my ride: Trek 7.3FX Disc:

It's a great commuter bike.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Richard Katz wrote:I have a collection of 10 classic and antique cycles.

1961 Hetchins Magnun Bonum 56cm road bicycle (my favorite bicycle)
1978 Roberts 56cm road bicycle (was my brother's)
Richard
Richard- we'll have to talk Hetchins at a break in the SF tionol- I'd like to see pictures as well.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I promised Sean Lally to put this up.

Its a 1996 MasterLight with Record hubs, 9 speed Ergo, head set, brakes, and bottom bracket; Chorus compact crank. The tires are Vittoria Pave, 700C x 27- really comfy tubs and reasonably fast. Its the only bike that I will run tubulars-seems like the thing to do. I really like the ride of fat tubulars.
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

very niiice, I'll post pic soon
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Question for all: Has anyone here ever owned or ridden a Seven? If so what do (did) you think of it? If you were the owner, did you feel the totally custom fit they do made a big difference to your riding comfort?

www.sevencycles.com

Question for those of you outside the U.S. : Do you know anyone who owns a Seven, or have you ever even seen a bike made by Seven Cylces in your area?

Loren
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Thanks for the post Loren :-)
I never heard of Seven cycles before but now when I have, I really, really, really want that time trail bike with the Zipp wheels :twisted:

ULTRA COOL!

Just realized that's the one thing I lack in life, or at least it feel so right now.

fel bautista, Nice pic!
A Colnago bike will always remain an Italian stallion :D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

/MarcusR

MY $0.02 for Independent Fabrication in Somerville, Mass.

They are "down the street " from Seven and make ( or will make after I get my full set) my next bike. They are doing trial frames of Reynolds 953-steel that has the material properties of steel, but the weight of Ti. I've touched it and seen it when I was there last September. Welding workmanship is impecable and the paint is simply amazing. I like steel bikes, hence the master light and a Raleigh 753 frame that I'm building back up. I think their work is right up there.

Besides the shop dog is a great mutt- you gotta like shops that have nice dogs that roam around inside.

Not an employee of IF but would like to be :-)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

fel bautista wrote:/MarcusR

They are "down the street " from Seven and make ( or will make after I get my full set) my next bike. They are doing trial frames of Reynolds 953-steel that has the material properties of steel, but the weight of Ti. I've touched it and seen it when I was there last September. Welding workmanship is impecable and the paint is simply amazing. I like steel bikes, hence the master light and a Raleigh 753 frame that I'm building back up. I think their work is right up there.

Besides the shop dog is a great mutt- you gotta like shops that have nice dogs that roam around inside.

Hmm, did you actually visit Seven, tour the shop, and talk to Rob and/or Matt? Just curious.

One must be careful about comparing any steel with any Ti - as much of the Ti that is used for bikes is relatively lame. Seven does make steel frames as well as Ti and Composite frames.

Also, who's actually designing the frames over at IF? I'm sure they do good work, but Rob Vandermark of Seven has quite a history of design excellence- He was designing custom frames for LeMond and the Tour winning Z team as far back as 1990. Here's an interesting article on Seven and there's a photo gallery link near the bottom of the page that has some shop tour photos.

I'm not knocking IF over in Sommerville, I'm just saying, anyone one can build a custom bike, very few have a history of designing them extremely well too.

Shop dogs must be relatively common in independent bike shops, Seven's got a shop dog too, although he's a timid little guy. :puppyeyes:

Hey Marcus, glad I could give you something else to dream of, lol!

Loren
Stan

Post by Stan »

I have owned this Tommasini road bike for 24 years.
It has Columbus steel tubing and a Campy Super
Record Gruppo. Those Italians can really put out a
nice set of wheels.

fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Loren wrote:
fel bautista wrote:/MarcusR

Hmm, did you actually visit Seven, tour the shop, and talk to Rob and/or Matt? Just curious.

One must be careful about comparing any steel with any Ti - as much of the Ti that is used for bikes is relatively lame. Seven does make steel frames as well as Ti and Composite frames.

Also, who's actually designing the frames over at IF? I'm sure they do good work, but Rob Vandermark of Seven has quite a history of design excellence- He was designing custom frames for LeMond and the Tour winning Z team as far back as 1990. Here's an interesting article on Seven and there's a photo gallery link near the bottom of the page that has some shop tour photos.

I'm not knocking IF over in Sommerville, I'm just saying, anyone one can build a custom bike, very few have a history of designing them extremely well too.

Shop dogs must be relatively common in independent bike shops, Seven's got a shop dog too, although he's a timid little guy. :puppyeyes:

Hey Marcus, glad I could give you something else to dream of, lol!

Loren
I met Matt and had a 2 hour tour at IF... I suspect I would be won over at 7 as well but first is first so opinions happen. I don't want to sway any decisions, but as in everything, emotions take hold. And dogs are cool ... Let's go ride!!!
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Stan wrote:I have owned this Tommasini road bike for 24 years.
nice set of wheels.
great looking bike and 24 years... how many miles (Km) are on it??
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

fel bautista wrote:
Stan wrote:I have owned this Tommasini road bike for 24 years.
nice set of wheels.
great looking bike and 24 years... how many miles (Km) are on it??
How many miles should the parts on a bike last? 3000 - 6000 on the chain
and cassette 1000 for break pads? Rims never seem to wear out if you
avoid jumping curbs and hitting pot holes. Tires it seems, wear depending
on the road and the tread that you choose. Grip Shifters seem like junk,
Rapid fire shifters seem to be okay, and levers never fail. I assume the
frame and fork can last a long time assuming nice treatment and no
suspension.

Just wondering if higher priced components are worth while, or If I should
continue to pound a cheap bike into the ground every three years and not
feel bad about salt getting on the chain.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Stan

Post by Stan »

I switch from one sports related activity to another and
must admit I haven't ridden continuously. I have been riding.
a Specialized brand MTB the last two years. The Tommasini had
kid-glove care and regular chain and cassette gear replacements.
Have no idea what the mileage is....I'm not much of a record keeper.
Started out with sew-ups (tubulars) but switched to clinchers as I wasn't a racer. Eight years of martial arts kept me tired enough to keep riding time way down too. Shop talk leads me to believe some riders are going back to steel frames. You'll notice, my avatar is the Tommasini logo
that is tastefully situated on top of the chrome fork crowns.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I know guys with Campy record that has been around for 20+ years so hi-end equipment and care will make it last and last. I replace chains the first week in January after the So Cal New Years day ride; wash and wax bikes and chains about every two months. Steel does seem to be making a come back. I'm one of those "buy it once and take care of it" kind of person so hi-end levers can be in the picture.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Campy was the "Big Dog" way back then as Japanese components were
just coming on line. I'm a "Buy & Hold" kinda guy too. When it comes to cars I drive 'em til the pistons are square ! Have had my Mazda B2000 pickemup for 20 years now. One thing I learned early on in the military is that PM (that's preventative maintenance not premenstrual) goes a long way in keeping bikes/vehicles on the road.