PC, Mac, Linux...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

PC, Mac, Linux...

Post by Tyler »

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

:lol:

Something a bit related, that I thought was a good read:

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/edito ... ta/versus/

A comparison of Windows XP, Vista, and Ubuntu Linux.

In particular, I get a kick out of the boot times:

Vista boots for him in 8 seconds, XP in 33 seconds, Linux in 15 seconds.

:o He must have one hell of a hot system. (And I bet these are just to the login prompt, too. Still impressive as hell, even so.)

My own numbers (all measured on the same hardware):

Vista boots to a login promt in 40 seconds, another 50 seconds from there to a usable desktop, total boot time of 1 minute 30 seconds.

XP boots to a login prompt in 1 minute, another 3 minutes 4 seconds to a useable desktop, total boot time 4 minutes 4 seconds.

Linux is nice. Fedora Core 6 boots to a login prompt in 55 seconds, but from there to a useable desktop is 15 seconds, total boot time 1 minute 10 seconds.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: PC, Mac, Linux...

Post by buddhu »

Tyler Morris wrote:Image
Tea came out of my nose... :D
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

peeplj wrote:
Vista boots to a login promt in 40 seconds, another 50 seconds from there to a usable desktop, total boot time of 1 minute 30 seconds.

XP boots to a login prompt in 1 minute, another 3 minutes 4 seconds to a useable desktop, total boot time 4 minutes 4 seconds.

Linux is nice. Fedora Core 6 boots to a login prompt in 55 seconds, but from there to a useable desktop is 15 seconds, total boot time 1 minute 10 seconds.

--James
I believe that Ubuntu uses InitNG to help it's boot times (I think), If you want you could set up Red Hat to do the same replacing SysVinit (I think). I guess the point is that it is difficult to compare Linux to anything due to how many versions there are.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Microsoft is a crappy Ford car, that isn't brilliant, but it's easy to get parts for.

Mac is a Volvo estate. Very safe, but cornering takes forever, parts are hard to get and the lights are always on. Whether you want them on or not.

Linux is a Messerschmidt two seater that you build yourself from a kit. If you've got one, you KNOW what it does.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Microsoft is a crappy Ford car, that isn't brilliant, but it's easy to get parts for.

Mac is a Volvo estate. Very safe, but cornering takes forever, parts are hard to get and the lights are always on. Whether you want them on or not.

Linux is a Messerschmidt two seater that you build yourself from a kit. If you've got one, you KNOW what it does.
Perhaps the best analogy I've seen.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I've never timed how long it takes to fire up my silly computer, but I know mine at home with XP takes a heck of a lot longer than my husband's at the store, which is Windows 98.

And mine takes longer to shut down too.

They have Vista on a computer at work in the break room, but I haven't seen anything fantastic that makes me want to go out and buy that operating system.
Charlene
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Charlene wrote:They have Vista on a computer at work in the break room, but I haven't seen anything fantastic that makes me want to go out and buy that operating system.
We've got one here at work as well (I'm praying to FSM they don't wanna pull a complete Vista upgrade on us...eek), and honestly, there isn't one things that I've found about it that OSX doesn't do better or faster.
I'm currently (as of this past week or so ago) runnin OSX Cheetah (the jittery version, aptly named, though Chihuahua would have suited better, lol :P ) on a G3 dinosaur and it still pounds what I've seen of Vista.
I'm absolutely, positively not participating in Microhard's quest to rule the world and every industry within it anymore; the next unit I buy will be a mac.
(interesting ...there's a pirate program out there that allows you to run OSX on a PC and double boot it with XP if you so choose...I can't remember where I found that little bit of news, but perhaps other mac users know)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cofaidh wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Microsoft is a crappy Ford car, that isn't brilliant, but it's easy to get parts for.

Perhaps the best analogy I've seen.
One difference is that cars usually (not the Messerschmidt though) have the same user interface. Turn the wheel to the left and you know what will happen. It isn't until you get under the hood that you need to get out the manual, but even then dipsticks and fluids are pretty intuitive and standard (except for Dexcool and other "improvements").

Around where I work I switch from OSX, XP, Sun stations, etc. and even simple things like copy and past ans save involve different commands. The worst is the occasional PC with a mac keyboard.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."