Dead But Already Forgotten

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dead But Already Forgotten

Post by djm »

You may have already seen this. I have been checking its veracity. According to <A HREF="http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/horror ... htm">Urban Legnds</A> its another whopper that originated in Weekly World News in 2000, and has since been propogated by English and American newspapers, and is now doing the web rounds. (The subject's name appears variously as Turkelbaum or Turklebaum.) Still, it makes for good reading:

From the New York Times: Bosses of a publishing firm are trying to work out why no-one noticed that one of their employees had been sitting dead at his desk for five days before anyone asked if he was feeling okay. Gearge Turklebaum, 51, who had been employed as a proof-reader at a New York firm for 30 years, had a heart attack in the open-plan office he shared with 23 other workers.

He quietly passed away on Monday, but nobody noticed until Saturday morning when an office cleaner asked why he was working during the weekend.

His boss, Elliot Wachiaski, said: "George was always the first guy in each morning and the last guy to leave at night, so no-one found it unusual that he was in the same position all that time and didn't say anything. He was always absorbed in his work and kept pretty much to himself."

A post-mortem examination revealed that he had been dead for five days after suffering a coronary. George was proof-reading manuscripts of medical textbooks when he died.

You may want to give your co-workers a nudge occasionally. The moral of this story: Don't work too hard. No-one notices anyway.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

coffee just came out of my nose...
missy

Post by missy »

ah - our cleaning crew wouldn't have noticed, they'd have just sprayed cleaning solution on you and wiped you down, like they do keyboards, and sticky notes, and anything else you have on your desk!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Five days? Whoever started that one must not have much of a sense of smell! (Or maybe they've just never encountered a three-day-old corpse!)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Redwolf wrote:Five days? Whoever started that one must not have much of a sense of smell! (Or maybe they've just never encountered a three-day-old corpse!)
Less time than that isn't it?
Don't the bowels start leaking out their contents shortly after death?

I've known of a couple former co-workers who fell asleep at work and woke up on a later tour. When that happened they'd either leave without clocking out (and deal with Timekeeping later) or try to find a supervisor stupid enough to authorize Overtime for them.

I also had a few single co-workers who died at home (yes, this happened a couple times over a few years) but no one missed them at work (except for Timekeeping, who wasn't authorized to contact them at home) until a week later.
By then their cats or dogs had made a real statement.

At least one of those departed co-workers had it written in his will that he leaving everything to his cat.
I don't think he realized at the time how true that wish would become.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I find this kind of reporting disturbing. Most of the “news” agencies reported that five firefighters were found alive in a SUV after the world trade center collapsed even though it never happened. It disturbs me that these people don’t check their facts and report entertaining news rather than what could be otherwise good use of spectrum. Add to this how many times corporate PR is represented as real news, and it makes me wonder where you can find news that has passed any form of fact checking.

Or perhaps I am just cranky this week.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Redwolf wrote:Five days? Whoever started that one must not have much of a sense of smell! (Or maybe they've just never encountered a three-day-old corpse!)
Yeah, that's what I thought. During my stint in college, some poor
blighter died in his dorm room, and because he had no roommate
or friends, no one knew until his neighbor complained about the
smell. It only took a week for the overpowering smell to permiate
into the next room.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I don't believe I read the whole thread. I could see the way it was going, but still I read...

Oy vey, only meself to blame. :really:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Feh.
:tomato:

Melville's "Bartleby, the Scrivener" was the original in this theme.
brianc

Post by brianc »

I.D.10-t wrote:I find this kind of reporting disturbing. Most of the “news” agencies reported that five firefighters were found alive in a SUV after the world trade center collapsed even though it never happened. It disturbs me that these people don’t check their facts and report entertaining news rather than what could be otherwise good use of spectrum. Add to this how many times corporate PR is represented as real news, and it makes me wonder where you can find news that has passed any form of fact checking.

Or perhaps I am just cranky this week.
Naw, you're not cranky, you're spot-on correct.

Welcome to Journalism 101. The tougher courses are "Introduction to Basketweaving" and the famed geology course entitled, "Our Friend the Earth".

:wink:
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

At the U of I, "Our Friend the Earth" is called “Rocks for Jocks”.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Rod Sprague wrote:At the U of I, "Our Friend the Earth" is called “Rocks for Jocks”.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1/2 my in-laws are Illini grads. :lol: :lol: :lol: