textbooks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I remember buying several very expensive books that I never opened once!!! Figured out the teacher only used his notes for tests, and the book really was no help at all.

Also had one class that the "required" text was $100, and this was in the early 1980's. We never used it, but the teacher was the author of it - surprise, surprise.

Science (and probably medical) texts are the worst. And a lot of times the schools won't buy them back because of "updates".
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

missy wrote:Science (and probably medical) texts are the worst. And a lot of times the schools won't buy them back because of "updates".
My roommate is double-majoring in math and physics, and all of his books are like $120. It's pretty crazy.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
missy

Post by missy »

Congratulations wrote:
missy wrote:Science (and probably medical) texts are the worst. And a lot of times the schools won't buy them back because of "updates".
My roommate is double-majoring in math and physics, and all of his books are like $120. It's pretty crazy.
Double majoring in math and physics is pretty crazy!!!!

I hate math. I love science. That's why my degree is Natural Science instead of Chemistry. I refused to take four quarters of calculus and a quarter of differential equations!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Congratulations

missy wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
Double majoring in math and physics is pretty crazy!!!!

I hate math. I love science. That's why my degree is Natural Science instead of Chemistry. I refused to take four quarters of calculus and a quarter of differential equations!!!
Mark (my roommate) exempted two semesters of calculus, finished the last one last semester, and is in differential equations this semester. And he's a freshman. He loves it so much it scares me a little. He is literally two semesters ahead of every other freshman math major at the school, and he's doing physics simultaneously.

Personally, I'd rather die than take another math course. Other than one chemistry class, I'm done with my general education requirements, which is a good thing.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: textbooks

Post by Tyler »

crookedtune wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I would have bought them online, because they're sometimes cheaper, but I don't have the actual cash. I charged all of my books today.
??? I didn't think the Internet took cash.
If Al Gore can't fix that problem, Bill Gates will!
screw those two; Steve Jobs'll take your cash in a faster, more stylish, more efficient and user friendly way!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Congratulations wrote:
I can believe that.
I'm taking some calc/trig classes at the community college this summer to bone up on my math skills I'll need to upgrade my ammateur radio license. One book for the trig class is something like $200...
There's no way in hell I'm payin the man that much money, that's what the fracking course costs without the book! Amazon and ebay are where I'm going to go for sure.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Tyler Morris wrote:
crookedtune wrote:
fearfaoin wrote: ??? I didn't think the Internet took cash.
If Al Gore can't fix that problem, Bill Gates will!
screw those two; Steve Jobs'll take your cash in a faster, more stylish, more efficient and user friendly way!
You forgot more expensive.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

chrisoff wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
crookedtune wrote: If Al Gore can't fix that problem, Bill Gates will!
meh :D
Congratulations

chrisoff wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
crookedtune wrote: If Al Gore can't fix that problem, Bill Gates will!
You get what you pay for, man. :D
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Congratulations wrote:
chrisoff wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: screw those two; Steve Jobs'll take your cash in a faster, more stylish, more efficient and user friendly way!
You get what you pay for, man. :D
I was gonna say that, but settled for "meh" instead...
//feelin lazy today
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On the sympathetic side, I can say, as a university lecturer, that I would never set a text book which wasn't going to be used very thoroughly and then only if it were reasonable value for money.

One thing I do is ring the publishers and haggle down the price if I can guarantee a certain significant number of sales every year. I've managed to get as much as 50% reductions on the listed price; tells you something about their markup.

Mostly I don't use textbooks at all. I produce a book of readings hand selected to be exactly what I will use and I stay strictly within the copywrite laws—no more than 1 chapter or 10% from any single source and the readings sold for a price that recoups costs only, strictly no profits for me or my institution.

Now the unsympathetic side. Someone worked hard to write that text book. A publisher took a risk with it. Publishers have to cover salaries, production costs, promotional costs and the numerous published books that don't turn a profit but still cost money. They need to show a profit. So does the shop selling them. Reading materials are an essential part of an education. I don't like the idea that students have to pay, and certainly not outrageous prices, but somebody has to pay. Every 'trick' to avoid paying is in effect an author and a book company involuntarily subsidising your education. Somebody has to pay. I don't like the idea that the student should pay large amounts. But I like even less the idea that the ones who end up 'paying' are the author and publisher; they did the work and took the risk. If you think writing a text book is easy, just try it some time.