Six years old today--there are no hopeless cases

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Six years old today--there are no hopeless cases

Post by BillChin »

My friend Dan celebrated his sixth "birthday" today.

Six years ago, he was diagnosed with stage four melanoma. The doctors told Dan that he had two months to live. The best advice the doctors had for him was to get his affairs in order. In his late 30s, never having suffered any serious health problems, all this came a huge shock to Dan and his family.

Dan credits the Wellness Community of cancer patients and Recovery, Inc for mental health as two cornerstones of what got him through to today.

I know some folks on this board have seen some hard times. I don't know of too many that faced a more hopeless situation than Dan, a "death sentence" from the doctors.

Cheers Dan, may you have 60 more good years.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Great!!!!!!!! May he have many many more.

That's a nice thing about medical stuff- there's always a chance to beat the odds.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm so glad your friend has recovered and I'm happy for his family and friends as well. I've never had a friend or family member with such a terrible diagnosis---I can hardly imagine what people must go through.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That's wonderful news!

My dad's been through the same thing. When he was 21 he had thyroid cancer. It was let go for a very long time, and as a result, he had most of his throat removed and was told not to expect to live to see 25. Then, at 45, he developed melanoma. A huge chunk was taken out of his shoulder, and he was told that, if it recurred, it would be a death sentence. At age 59, the melanoma came back...this time it was in his lymph nodes, and he was told to prepare to die. Months, they said, at best.

He's 70, and cancer-free.

Never, ever, give up, people. Where there's life, there's hope.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

someone on this forum whose family was going through an emotional grinder because of his lengthy illness once said, "there is always hope." your friend dan has shown that to be true. i am happy for him and his friends. i am sure that he now looks at commonplace things in a new and wonderous way.

~shoelaces~
ever been mugged by a quaker?
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Go Dan!!! :D

Congrats to your friend, Bill. Happy for all of you. :party: :) :party:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
chas

Post by chas »

That's great news. There's nothing like reading about a miracle to start the day right.

My next-door neighbor has had his cancer come back for the fourth time (third time they did a bone-marrow transplant, that was about three years ago). I'm hoping he experiences a miracle, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Well done Dan. That's really good news.

A cousin of mine, much older than me, lived about 40 years longer than the doctors 'gave him' after extensive cancer surgery. He'd refused to give up smoking on the grounds that he was going to enjoy whatever time remained to him—initially thought to be only a couple of years. He eventually died of respiratory trouble, but he was well over 70 at the time. I suppose he'd have lasted even longer had he given up cigarettes, but then again, maybe not. The human spirit is a strange thing. He'd been a Spitfire pilot in WW2, one of the very youngest.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Far out! Many more years to you Dan, many more years!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I wish him the best, and hope for his miracle to continue.

Unfortunately, his is by far the exception, but it certainly proves that 'the rule' is *not* infallible... nor are doctors.

On the other hand, having gone through this with my brother, who proved the other end of the statistics, not living as long as they told him should expect, I think it is still best to prepare for the worst, do get your life in order, do do those thing that you really don't want to leave this life having not done, and then hope, pray, wish and work for that miracle.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com