Very OT "Find the hidden bird"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2002-10-07 12:16, OutOfBreath wrote:

Me too, they taste just like chicken!
No they don't.
Reasonable person
Walden
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

FIND THE HIDDEN BIRD II

Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Goldie »

On 2002-10-07 12:25, Walden wrote:

No they don't.

My gran told me they taste like rabbits and would look the same when they come out of the oven ... hmmmmm..... :'-(
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

On 2002-10-07 12:25, Walden wrote:
No they don't.
Well obviously you didn't cook them right. You have to batter them with a dash of salt and pepper and then deep fry them until golden brown. :wink:

John
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-10-04 13:35, SteveK wrote:
On 2002-10-04 12:31, Wombat wrote:
Don't be a wimp; go for it. I have a djembe (West African drum) with hairy evidence in place on the rim of the goat who donated his skin for me to pound on. Cool. If you don't like to be reminded of where your instrument comes from for moral reasons, just use synthetics.
It's only partly a matter of being a wimp. I can't imagine that goat hair makes a very attractive surface. I haven't seen one though. In weather like we have now you are constantly reminded that skin heads are skin because they collect moisture and sag. The new renaissance synthetic heads are getting very good press. Anyway, I'm not going to buy a JB banjo although they are attractive.
Actually the surface (for beating) is just goatskin. The fur is just on the underside of the rim where the skin is secured to the frame. (But you were talking about the banjo there, not the djembe, weren't you?) It's the only skin drum I have—my doumbek, tama and bodhran all have synthetic skins and I agree that they are surprsingly good. I just bought the djembe recently and I'm nervous about how it will go in summer. Wollongong is very humid in summer and, in a bad year, everything leather that isn't regularly used goes mouldy. But, in the shop, the goatskin djembe beat the synthetics hands down so I took the risk.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-10-08 12:45, Wombat wrote:
(But you were talking about the banjo there, not the djembe, weren't you?) [/quote]

Yes, the banjo. You can see part of a goatskin head under features-setup on JB's web page. See what you think. His prices started at about $1300 US when I first became aware of the banjos about 6 mo ago. They are now creeping up on $3000. No JB for me. I've got my eye on a gourd banjo which will have a skin head.

http://www.jbbanjos.com/

Steve
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Geez, 12 pages of posts! All for a cat pic?! Some people have way too much time on their hands. :smile:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Hmmm, I just thought of something. I wouldn't say that this thread is "Very OT." You see...

<ol>
<li>The post has "bird" in the title.</li>
<li>Native American flutes are very similar to tin whistles.</li>
<li>Native American flutes are constructed with a sliding block or "fetish" as part of the fipple. That fetish is often carved in the shape of a bird and is sometimes even called the "bird."</li>
</ol>

There you have it, only three degrees of separation between on topic and off topic...

John

(edited because I can't count)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OutOfBreath on 2002-10-08 15:54 ]</font>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I had rattler meat once. Sorta tasted like rabbit, (like chicken) but different texture...
Deep-fried, which covers all subtleties...

Now, if a cat gnaws on the bird fetish on my Native Am. flute, do I shoot it, eat it, or pet it......????
markv

Post by markv »

On 2002-10-08 16:05, The Weekenders wrote:
I had rattler meat once. Sorta tasted like rabbit, (like chicken) but different texture...
Deep-fried, which covers all subtleties...

Now, if a cat gnaws on the bird fetish on my Native Am. flute, do I shoot it, eat it, or pet it......????

Well as for the snake, Slice into medallions and sear in a cast iron skillet with wild onion...mmmmm tasty. Don't try it with a bull snake though, not quite as tasty.

The cat, I'd club 'em a good one with the flute. Unless my wife or daughter were around then I'd pet it and whack it later.

Hey maybe I should post a couple more game recipes so I'll go over a hundred posts, unless the dollar for every hundreth post RAM fee kicks in that's mentioned on another thread.

Mark V
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

"Medallions du rattlér"

Coming soon on Food Channel. Maybe it'll be mystery ingredient on Iron Chef.

Fun to see em grab those live!