Old pipes for sale!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
irishpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

Rory..I don't know what pipermakers you've consulted with, but if you haven't talked to Brad Angus yet , then you might want to consider it before you donate the pipes to museum. Brad Angus does some amazing restoration work, but if the pipes are " butchered" beyond repair like you say; then I agree with Patrick and a museum would be a great final resting place for them.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

the pipes were given to Alain Froment with the view to hopefully being fully restored to playing condition.At first he was very excited about them ,but on further investagation he said the chanter had been altered too much. His guess was that someone had tried too raise them in pitch and then at a later stage bring them back down again.
It was going to work out expensive to have Alain to do further work on them so the owner took them back

The drones and regulators are in orginal condition but are quite worn and some mounts are missing,
It was Alain who came up with the date of manufacture ,but due to the key shape he could not reliable say who made them.
Due to the ware they must have been played quite alot when they were playing .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
chanterdan

old pipes

Post by chanterdan »

keys ,and springs can be replaced,fixed with new boxwood mounts,new bag n repair the leather on the bellows, and donot see why the drones wouldn't work. .lots of pipers have extra chanters laying around.its like fixing up an old muscle car!i would make a decent offer if i had the scratch!would trade i nice guitar!
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Heres more photos

ImageAs you can see there is a key missing on the bari reg

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Is there anything wrong with the chanter that you can tell? Also, what is the owner asking for it?
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

The owner of the pipes ,a Mr Gerry Fitzgibbon who lives in Limerick has said he will take 1200 euros for the lot as they are !!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
BzzzzT

old pipes

Post by BzzzzT »

good price
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rorybbellows wrote:The owner of the pipes ,a Mr Gerry Fitzgibbon who lives in Limerick has said he will take 1200 euros for the lot as they are !!

RORY
Has it yet been established who the maker is? I have half a mind to nab this set to study and maintain it (such as it is... but cleaned up a bit), until such time as I decide to donate it to a museum or NPU or whomever.

All I need to do now is stea... er, find 1,200 euros somewhere. :D
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Joe! Good to see you are ok!

(Florida really got a horrible storm yesterday...many lives lost, for those not reading the headlines).

t
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Rory,
I've sent you a PM, but I've had no response....is the set still being offered?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

So the pipes probably COULD be restored to playing condition...It would probably just cost a lot of money to get the work done...In the end, if somebody did decide to restore them with the intent of playing them, I imagine that a new chanter would likely have to be made for the set. Looks intriguing...Could be a fun fixer-upper project (mind you, whoever butchered the set in the first place was probably thinking the same thing...).
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

It's really hard to tell much from the existing photos (too small, for one thing).

The date Alain gave seems very early to me - my instinct says too early. That's the very oldest the set could be anyway, and it could easily be considerably later. The chanter cap tied directly into the bag is interesting but inconclusive. I agree that W Rousome is a possibility...

Rory, what is the length of the chanter (from reed seat to end of chanter?)

The bass drone slide tenon looks wonky/cut. Wonder what's up there... also the square-ish regulator key blocks are usually not a great sign.

regards

Bill
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Old pipes for sale

Post by Hans-Joerg »

What strikes me are just the bellows of this set. They look fairly similar to these IMO:
[/img]Image
(supplied recently) Is there a story behind this?
Hans
billh

Re: Old pipes for sale

Post by billh »

Hans-Joerg wrote:What strikes me are just the bellows of this set. They look fairly similar to these IMO:
[/img]Image
(supplied recently) Is there a story behind this?
Hans
Interesting - the bellows with the "John Egan" set has a plate clearly stamped "ROWSOME" - ok, no surprise the bellows is not original. I agree that this ROWSOME bellows looks an awful lot like the bellows in the Fitzgibbon set.

I believe the early Willie R. stuff had square key blocks too, but not the later stuff. Thus the "Rousome" comment...

Are you sure there are no makers' marks on this set anywhere? I'd love to have a close look at it.

Bill
mukade

Post by mukade »

Weren't NPU making a pipe museum?

Perhaps they will buy them.

It's preferable to have unplayable pipes in display cases than playable ones.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon