Freeman Tweaked MellowDog

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jonharl »

Jerry is the new whistle going to replace the Mellow Dog or are you going to offer both? The new whistle sounds like it could be a winner if it's like the Mellow Dog. Any details? Fipple material? I assume the tube is going to be brass? We have to plan ahead you know.

:D
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

jonharl wrote:Jerry is the new whistle going to replace the Mellow Dog or are you going to offer both? The new whistle sounds like it could be a winner if it's like the Mellow Dog. Any details? Fipple material? I assume the tube is going to be brass? We have to plan ahead you know.

:D
The new whistle will replace the tweaked Mellow Dog. I've had to limit to only a few, the places where tweaked Mellow Dogs are available because I can only make a limited number of them.

My intention is to make the whistle that is now the tweaked Mellow Dog in a new version faithful to the design in every detail, that can be made in batches of five or ten thousand and distributed everywhere whistles are sold worldwide.

I've made a study of mass production methods for this, and I'm certain I can hold the same level of precision craftsmanship through batches of thousands that I presently hold through batches limited to 30 at a time that I produce by hand.

The new whistle will have a brass tube and an injection molded mouthpiece, very similar to the materials the tweaked Mellow Dog uses now.

Best wishes,
Jerry
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

cskinner wrote:This is one of the sampleson Jerry's eBay listings.

Carol
My, that was beautiful. Thanks.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I've made a study of mass production methods for this, and I'm certain I can hold the same level of precision craftsmanship through batches of thousands that I presently hold through batches limited to 30 at a time that I produce by hand.
Wow, Jerry! That's going to be very interesting to watch for.
I also suspect a run on the Original MellowDog market, soon.
I just (finally) bought one...
bernez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bernez »

...Just ordered a tweaked Mellow Dog from Jerry's eBay listing.
!!! You never know !!!

Bernez
The Weekenders

Re: Freeman Tweaked MellowDog

Post by The Weekenders »

jonharl wrote:After all is said and done in regards to WHOA I feel that one whistle is all I need. I've sold my Sindts and Humphreys, and canceled my orders I think for the money there is none better whistle than these. But for purposes of playing as a amatuer I can't see any reason to have any other whistle than a Freeman Tweaked MellowDog. In fact my WHOA extends to two D's and a C, One D and the C at my computer station and one D at my drawing table. Now I've just got to fit the money in to buy the extra D and C. These whistles really play well. I know there's much debate over wether one needs to spend a lot of money on expensive whistles. That all the great players played Gens and did just fine. I also realize our own Peter Laban can really make a Gen sing. But for my big hands the larger tube diameter of the MellowDog suits me to a "T". To my ear they sound pure and sweet just like I like them. But the real point is to play what you like and progress at playing the whistle. SO wether it be one whistle or a whole bag just play.
Allright, you better bring that thing to Dana's whistle party and let me at it.. I am intrigued.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Ostrich Caller

Post by Ostrich Caller »

Jerry Freeman wrote: Don't use alcohol inside the mouthpiece. Alcohol won't hurt the soundblade laminations, which are done with epoxy. However, the fill under the windway is done with a claylike material that is soft when new and then becomes leathery over time. The material filling under the windway can be softened/dissolved by alcohol. Also, you don't want to poke anything into the filling under the windway, as it can dent.
Jerry, thanks for the warning. I used to soak my blues harps in whiskey. It really helped my playing. I was hoping Bushmills would do the same for my Mellow Dog. :(
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Ostrich Caller wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote: Don't use alcohol inside the mouthpiece. Alcohol won't hurt the soundblade laminations, which are done with epoxy. However, the fill under the windway is done with a claylike material that is soft when new and then becomes leathery over time. The material filling under the windway can be softened/dissolved by alcohol. Also, you don't want to poke anything into the filling under the windway, as it can dent.
Jerry, thanks for the warning. I used to soak my blues harps in whiskey. It really helped my playing. I was hoping Bushmills would do the same for my Mellow Dog. :(
Are you sure that it wasn't you being soaked that improved your playing? :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
pastorkeith

Mellow Dog

Post by pastorkeith »

Mine just arrived today - wow is it sweet!
I'm amazed how much "faster" it plays and what a great tone it has.
Thanks Jerry!

Pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa