"U2-charist"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Hm, hm (gurur brahma)
Hm, hm (gurur vishnu)
Hm, hm (gurur devo)
Hm, hm (maheshwara)
Not so sure you got that part right, mate. :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Chiffed wrote:It could be argued that all music is religious music.
I've heard people say this before, and it baffled me then, too. I don't see how one could feasibly argue that all music is religious music. :-? Am I missing something?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jack

Post by Jack »

Congratulations wrote:
I've heard people say this before, and it baffled me then, too. I don't see how one could feasibly argue that all music is religious music. :-? Am I missing something?
Probably...but it's difficult to describe. I've tried it before. It's like describing the color red (or blue, purple, or orange) to a person who's been blind from birth. It's extremely difficult, but you know it's a real phenomenon because you've experienced it yourself. Some people just don't experience it, for whatever reasons. That doesn't necessarily make you less of a musician, however.
Last edited by Jack on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
Probably...but it's difficult to describe. I've tried it before. It's like describing the color red (or blue, or orange) to a person who's been blind from birth.
Perhaps one has to be religious in the first place to perceive all music as being religious, just as one must be sighted to appreciate the difference between blue and violet. Then again, perhaps the difficulty in describing this hypothesis stems from its being just flat-out wrong.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Congratulations wrote: I've heard people say this before, and it baffled me then, too. I don't see how one could feasibly argue that all music is religious music. :-? Am I missing something?
Probably...but it's difficult to describe. I've tried it before. It's like describing the color red (or blue, or orange) to a person who's been blind from birth.
Perhaps one has to be religious in the first place to perceive all music as being religious, just as one must be sighted to appreciate the difference between blue and violet. Then again, perhaps the difficulty in describing this hypothesis stems from its being just flat-out wrong.
I experienced it before I was religious. I've played music long before I became religious.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Well... to argue from one point of the idea...
I can't seem to find it, but I read an article in the SL Trib that reported on a study done at one of our universities here that had found that music and religion stimulate some common portions of the brain...
So, I can easily see how someone can feel that all music is religious, etc.
I certainly won't say they're wrong, just that it can be explained in an easy way.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Congratulations

The problem might be that I don't think I've had a "religious" experience, so I've got no yard stick. Nonetheless, if we're saying that music can evoke emotions similar to those one might experience with religion, then I might go along with that. But saying all music is religious seems an odd way to articulate that.

Meh. I'm overthinking.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Congratulations wrote:The problem might be that I don't think I've had a "religious" experience, so I've got no yard stick. Nonetheless, if we're saying that music can evoke emotions similar to those one might experience with religion, then I might go along with that. But saying all music is religious seems an odd way to articulate that.

Meh. I'm overthinking.
i think it all boils down to the fact that religion is relative. The closer it is to a dense source of gravity, the slower it appears to move, and whatnot...(ok, just kiddin')
:D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
rh

Post by rh »

Whatever other values it may have, it is difficult to construe this as religious:
Tha Dogg Pound wrote:Smoked and loaded and f****d up by a locked up
On some n****z who try to get buck
In the fashion, the blastin, it's hard to imagine
Not cashin no n****z who be actin like b******s
What do I do, but call my n****z and my crew to come
do what they do, and put they work on you
See me automatic, cause static, static's inatic of a gun-play
Like everyday, all day
You want trouble? Ha-ha, let's bring the fan
and Daz you blast, so donate b***h a**
Adios as his a** got smoked
and f****d the wrong n***a now his a** is goast
I smoke a blunt and stick my d**k in some c**t (ahh AHH!)
To me and my homeboy's, ya just some punks, haha
Who really want it? N***a come get it
Slowly but surely, homey you ain't never forget it
How many times I gotta say somethin, I'm f****n wit mine
Livin the life of crime where it's do or die
Y'all n****z don't really want none of this
We the s**t, but ya f****d ya crew, b***h!
there is no end to the walking
Congratulations

:lol:
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Hey, like I said, it's all relative! :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

The difference is that music does not require any belief system to justify or interpret it. It is a direct experience. You may call a direct experience a "religious experience" but the fact is that the experience itself requires no explanation or "belief system" to interpret it. The experience stands alone as it is. Only the various layers of mental filters unique to each of us can alter or colour the memory of the experience. The thing itself remains exactly what it was at the time it occurred. The trick is to be able to perceive and remember the experience without the filters.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I would submit that rather than saying that all music is religious (or that all religion is musical, for that matter), it might be better to say that they are each a separate manifestation of a common feeling, such as "Both music and religion are cathartic." Although I have never had a religious experience, other than having had the holy crap scared out of me a few times, I suspect it would not be all that different from listening to Mahler's 1st turned up really loud, especially the first time one heard Mahler's 1st.

(And I further suspect that both music and religion are enhanced by the liberal application of pharmaceuticals.)
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Congratulations

gonzo914 wrote:(And I further suspect that both music and religion are enhanced by the liberal application of pharmaceuticals.)
I'll bet Pink Floyd would be pretty amazing if you added some peyote.
djm

Post by djm »

Congratulations wrote:I'll bet Pink Floyd would be pretty amazing if you added some peyote.
I threw up a lot ..... :sniffle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.