Up and Coming Posters

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

On 2002-10-07 18:44, avanutria wrote:
Now jim, if we were all whistles, what would we be? :lol:
I feel so split today - I must be a 2-piece Clare....

:-/
Jeroen
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

On 2002-10-08 02:59, Wombat wrote:
(snip!)
Well one way you can do better Bill is to apologize to me. Yes, yes, I know .... you haven't insulted me yet. I haven't even accused you of insulting me. But what's that got to do with it? Get in first and avoid the rush. I give cheaper rates to people who apologise before they insult me. It makes good business sense.
Whoa! What a good deal! Okay, Wombat, I'm Really, Truly Sorry (TM) that I haven't gotten round to insulting you, and especially that I haven't already apologized for not doing so! One of my friends in Adelaide sent me the damnedest (whoops, sorry for language!) whistle - gigantic and crooked, with no fingerholes, no fipple, and no blade! How am I s'pose'ta play th' bluddy (eeeeK!! Sorry!!!) thing? Tha insides look like they been chewed up by bugs in transit, too. And somebody painted graffiti on the thing, to boot! How can I explain all this to my friend without him gettin' all mad at me!?
Sorry for not thanking you enough,
Bill Whedon
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

On 2002-10-07 23:17, Blackbird wrote:
I'm going to get sponsered by Tim Horton's - then you wait and see. I'll have them all beat before long. :smile:
For those who don't get it, Tim Horton's is a Canadian coffee chain - sort of the Starbucks of the great white north. They have a 20 foot inflatable coffee cup that they put up outside when a new location opens. My twelve year old son saw that and said, "Hey Dad, I figured out how you could cut down to one cup a day."
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

jim_mc:

Be careful using trademarks. Using one, even in jest, without permission can bring you trouble. I doubt anyone from Dunkin' Donuts lurks here looking for trademark infringements, but just know that companies take use of their logos seriously.

-Tom
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Man o man, I'm at 480! Yikes a hootie! Gotta get crackin'. If it wasn't for things like work and music, I'd have more time to post. Hee hee.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-10-08 09:26, serpent wrote:
On 2002-10-08 02:59, Wombat wrote:
(snip!)
Well one way you can do better Bill is to apologize to me. Yes, yes, I know .... you haven't insulted me yet. I haven't even accused you of insulting me. But what's that got to do with it? Get in first and avoid the rush. I give cheaper rates to people who apologise before they insult me. It makes good business sense.
Whoa! What a good deal! Okay, Wombat, I'm Really, Truly Sorry (TM) that I haven't gotten round to insulting you, and especially that I haven't already apologized for not doing so! One of my friends in Adelaide sent me the damnedest (whoops, sorry for language!) whistle - gigantic and crooked, with no fingerholes, no fipple, and no blade! How am I s'pose'ta play th' bluddy (eeeeK!! Sorry!!!) thing? Tha insides look like they been chewed up by bugs in transit, too. And somebody painted graffiti on the thing, to boot! How can I explain all this to my friend without him gettin' all mad at me!?
Sorry for not thanking you enough,
Bill Whedon
That's the spirit Bill. You're really getting good at super-sizing apologies. Just one tiny problem though. People from Wollongong don't normally rush to the defence of people from Adelaide, in fact some need a cattle goad to crawl to their defence. But I see a way out here. I'll take your apology. I just won't pass it on.

cheers
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-10-08 09:58, fiddling_tenor wrote:
jim_mc:

Be careful using trademarks. Using one, even in jest, without permission can bring you trouble. I doubt anyone from Dunkin' Donuts lurks here looking for trademark infringements, but just know that companies take use of their logos seriously.

-Tom
You're kidding, right, Tom? I don't think Jim needs to worry as long as he doesn't start selling coffee as "Tim Horton" or doughnuts as "Dunkin' Donuts". If it's not trade, a trademark doesn't prevent it. (or how do you tell you're wife to pick up some Coca Cola(TM) at the store?) :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-10-08 10:37 ]</font>
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Serpent's sincerely sorry (he states).
Loren lies low; he lurkingly waits.
While witty Waldon wonders when
Bil, Bill, Byll and Bloomy may be by again.
And Mark J and Mark B and Mark V and Mack
Will wander wonderingly warily back
To claim their claim on posting fame.
Alas, Ava Beth has claimed the game.
It may make Wombat hopping mad.
E=Fb more flat and Mouses sad
And Tygress digress to a kitty cat;
And Madguys and Tubedudes and Riches and Dales and Teris and Jessies and...memory fails...
But come one and all you chiffers, and post;
And we'll give the prize to the one with the most.

And I claim the Hoover
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I'm amazed, inspired and impressed by the wit and cleverness of the people here. I humbly acknowledge your greatness, everyone!!

:smile:

Great poem, Mack!
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Bloomfield,

Actually, I'm not kidding. A few years ago, AT&T sued and won over a similar incident, where a private user included a link to their corporate homepage, using their logo. Because the user did not have permission to use the company logo, the company won its case.

Every company, including the one I currently work for, has very specific guidelines on how, where, when logos can be used. My company's guidelines fill three 2" binders!

My point here is that though companies, like DD probably will not pursue such use of its corporate logo, we should exercise caution.

On a related note: I wage an ongoing battle with my kids' schools regarding the showing of entertainment videos during the school day.
1. The kids aren't there to be entertained, but to learn.
2. Every video is licensed for home-viewing only (says so in the graphic everyone fast-forwards through).
3. Video distributors are paying closer attention to when and where their videos are shown.
4. Two or three years ago, a day-car facility in Harrisburg, PA was fined 10,000 <EM>per infraction</EM> for showing the Disney videos the kids brought in from home. The day-care owner lost because his facility was considered by the court to be a public venue.

It's these little things that most people don't worry about, that I do--it's what I have to pay attention to in my work.

To many people ignore the nuances of copyright and trademark laws--they're hard to understand as it is. That doesn't mean we're exempt.

Well, I merely wanted to express a word of caution, that's all.

Enjoy the day. whatever you do, wherever you go. We've a classic fall day here in Connecticut: sunny, crisp air, 60s. What the h*** am I doing at work? :smile:

-Tom
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
madguy

Post by madguy »

[quote]
On 2002-10-08 10:40, Mack.Hoover wrote:
Serpent's sincerely sorry (he states).
Loren lies low; he lurkingly waits.
While witty Waldon wonders when
Bil, Bill, Byll and Bloomy may be by again.
And Mark J and Mark B and Mark V and Mack
Will wander wonderingly warily back
To claim their claim on posting fame.
Alas, Ava Beth has claimed the game.

It may make Wombat hopping mad.
E=Fb more flat and Mouses sad
And Tygress digress to a kitty cat;
And Madguys and Tubedudes and Riches and Dales and Teris and Jessies and...memory fails...
But come one and all you chiffers, and post;
And we'll give the prize to the one with the most.

And I claim the Hoover

[/quote ]

Mack, I'll wrestle ya' for the Hoover! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madguy on 2002-10-08 10:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madguy on 2002-10-08 10:54 ]</font>
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I can't see the difference between stating the name (if the name is trademarked) and posting the image.

For example, it would be ok for me to say I like Coca-Cola here, but not ok to say I like (insert the logo)?

I could see where there would be a problem if I were trying to use it to make some money for myself, or if I were in some way trying to harm their image, but just using it for innocent fun?

Well, the image I used is linked from the official Dunkin Donuts (tm) home page, so if they have a problem with people using it, they could block us from linking it. Until they do that, I'll take my chances.

I probably wouldn't try it with Disney, though. Those cutthroats would probably have a suit filed before the end of business today!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Mack

I don't know whether to be chagrined or relieved at being omitted from the "long roll", so to speak.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Mack, I think this is the first time I've been mentioned by name in a poem. I'm honored.

Fiddling_Tenor and Serpent, You all have conspired to keep the rest of us from apologizing methinketh. Between Tom's warnings about trademarks, and Serpent's alleged trademark on Sorries. :wink:
Reasonable person
Walden
jim_mc

Post by jim_mc »

Chuck, you've got sense and stamina, you just lack those bursts of manic energy that put a poster in the top ranks.

Now if you guy will excuse me, I'm going to try to hack in and steal the Walden logo. I don't believe it's been trademarked yet.