Protest songs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I.D.10-t wrote:On the radio "System of the Down" had a song called B.Y.O.B. that seemed rather pointed, although they are a bit vulgar, abstract, and on the heavy metal end of the spectrum.
Anything System of a Down touches turns to gold.
They've got some fantastic protest style music (Like Chop Suey!, or anything on the Toxicity album).
Boom! is specifically about the Iraq war.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

I.D.10-t wrote:On the radio "System of the Down" had a song called B.Y.O.B. that seemed rather pointed, although they are a bit vulgar, abstract, and on the heavy metal end of the spectrum.
What's wrong with heavy metal? :evil:

System Of A Down are only occasionally vulgar and abtstract, more often they are political. Although the first 2 albums show it more than the last couple.

Rage Against The Machine are reforming for a festival in California this year. I imagine if it becomes a more lengthy reformation they'll have something to say on the matter.
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

Dixie Chicks "Not ready to Make Nice" isn't specifically about the war, but more broadly attacks the values of the current adminstration and its supporters. And they released it when the current adminstration and its supporters weren't such easy targets.

Springsteen is singing "Bring 'em Home" in his hootnanny concerts.

At Irish music shows I've been to altely, if there's a singer, they usually offer an older anti-war song.

We're going to see Paul Brady next week and I'm guessing he'll have something to offer.

Cran - Good for you for getting to DC for the march.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Try Green Day's American Idiot (pretty much the whole cd).

Personally, I feel that today's brand of "protest" music lacks quite a bit. The protesters of old seemed to have much more passion. Now it just seems to be anger...justified anger, but anger none the less. The passion just seems to be gone, and in the end seems to be more of a scream fest rather than the thought provoking music that changed a generation. Not that I don't like a lot of the stuff from today, but if you want real protest music, you have to go back to the classics. This of course, is purely in my humble opinion ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

No one did it better, that's for sure. :)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

A few more (from 17 year old daughter, who knows way more than I do on this subject ;) )

Black Eyed Peas - Where is the Love

John Mayer - Waiting on the World to Change (he mentions the evils of the war, although doesn't talk about Iraq specifically)

Eminem - Mosh Pit

My Chemical Romance - Mama (totally anti-war)

The thing is that a lot of the music now is more "anti Bush" and "anti government" rather than anti war. They're against all of it. Even the Green Day one that I mentioned before is more anti-government.

edited to add something
Last edited by izzarina on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

fearfaoin wrote:
John Mayer wrote:It's not that we don't care,
We just know that the fight ain't fair,
So we keep on waiting...
Waiting on the world to change
This could still be seen as a cop-out. Or, maybe it's just that the
tune reminds me of beach music, making me think about being
lazy on the sand...
But he also said:
John Mayer also wrote:Now if we had the power
To bring our neighbors home from war
They would have never missed a Christmas
No more ribbons on their door
And when you trust your television
What you get is what you got
Cause when they own the information, oh
They can bend it all they want
But I do agree about the music itself. It does seem rather "beach-ish" :lol:
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

his new CD is great...I love it
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

In a concert just last weekend at Trad Fest 3 I heard Dirk Powell perform one he had written on the subject.
He sang it solo while accompanying himself on a fretless 5 string banjo that one of his cousins had made for him.

Later in the evening his own band and some of the guys from Foghorn sang a gospel tune (with Riley Baugus singing lead) that they said was used in the soundtrack of a post 911 commentary film.

Most concerts of Old Time and World Music I've attended over the past couple years (1-4 per month) have had songs presented as a commentary on the subject posed here.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Cranberry wrote:When I was at the March on Washington .
Good on you... Actually that's what started me thinking about it. I got a call from a friend in the SF bay area and she said it was like the 60s but without the music.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

izzarina wrote:Personally, I feel that today's brand of "protest" music lacks quite a bit. The protesters of old seemed to have much more passion. Now it just seems to be anger...justified anger, but anger none the less. The passion just seems to be gone, and in the end seems to be more of a scream fest rather than the thought provoking music that changed a generation. Not that I don't like a lot of the stuff from today, but if you want real protest music, you have to go back to the classics. This of course, is purely in my humble opinion ;)
I actually find it interesting listening to some of the old singers like Cisco Houston's rendition of "Pie in the Sky" and comparing the of Bad Religion’s "Faith Alone". Often the same themes and emotions come through to me from separate artists and genres.

Another thing to remember is that many of the "bad" songs of the past are not with us any more. Some protest songs are doomed because their songs are too set for a particular time period “Jon Brown’s body lies a moldering in the grave” and DRI’s “Reaganomics killing me” were a bit specific, and did not get handed down leaving only the best of the past, while we are confronted with many songs currently that may or may not last.

If there has been a difference, I think that it would be in the way people participate in music. The more Folk styled music lent its self to being sang along with better than some of the more specialized styles of today. Watching is very different than participating.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

the video could be a bit better, but the song will, unfortunately, be relevant for all time. :sniffle:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ohXsdbF-7jc

~shoelaces~
ever been mugged by a quaker?
Jack

Post by Jack »

fel bautista wrote:
Cranberry wrote:When I was at the March on Washington .
Good on you... Actually that's what started me thinking about it. I got a call from a friend in the SF bay area and she said it was like the 60s but without the music.
There was a lot of music. Some of it was just kind of random, like African bands playing drums and blowing on conch horns, but it was good music. Probably not the same as the 60s music, though, but I can't remember that.