"U2-charist"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

TelegramSam wrote:U2 as church music? Weird.

As for U2, I'm so sick of Bono all the way around, personally. I mean yea it's great that he does charity work and stuff, but when he opens his mouth in public he always manages to come off as a self-righteous snob.

As for the music, I like some of U2's older stuff, but anything after Achtung Baby you can keep.

But really, I don't get it. I'll keep the old hymnal, thanks.
Well, me too. But to each his own, or so they say. And if it gets young people into church, I'm willing to give it a nod. Just don't take away my Tallis and Byrd!

Did you hear the one about the U2 concert in Dublin? At one point, Bono got up and started clapping his hands, very slowly. Dead silence in the concert hall. When he'd gotten everybody's attention, he said "every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." From the back a voice piped up: Well, fookin' stop doin' it den!" :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

The first time I ever went to an Episcopal church was back in the late 60s for a service like that- but I was one of the musicians, not famous professionals. :lol: I loved it. Later as an adult, but not having outgrown the "oddball/rebel" tendencies,(the rest of the fam is methodist/baptist) I found a local church and went back. I still loved it. I'm now their organist, so it worked for me! :)

Redwolf, our church alternates Rite I and Rite II from week to week. Funny, but the folks who grew up in the church seem to prefer Rite II and those of us in our church who found it later in life like Rite I best. That's too bad that your Rite I does not use music. I like the Rite I service music best too. And the words and phrases! ..."our bounden duty", "it is meet and right so to do"- ah, ya just can't beat stuff like that IMHO :D I love it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

jkwest wrote:Do not bash my faith either, thanks.
certainly was the furthest thing from my mind when i posted the article.
there is no end to the walking
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:The first time I ever went to an Episcopal church was back in the late 60s for a service like that- but I was one of the musicians, not famous professionals. :lol: I loved it. Later as an adult, but not having outgrown the "oddball/rebel" tendencies,(the rest of the fam is methodist/baptist) I found a local church and went back. I still loved it. I'm now their organist, so it worked for me! :)

Redwolf, our church alternates Rite I and Rite II from week to week. Funny, but the folks who grew up in the church seem to prefer Rite II and those of us in our church who found it later in life like Rite I best. That's too bad that your Rite I does not use music. I like the Rite I service music best too. And the words and phrases! ..."our bounden duty", "it is meet and right so to do"- ah, ya just can't beat stuff like that IMHO :D I love it.
Our church in NC used to do Rite I in Lent and Advent, and Rite II the rest of the time. It was always funny, the first week or so after a change, to see people struggling to remember if they should say "and also with you" or "and with thy spirit."

We always do Evensong Rite I, but fortunately those responses are sung by the choir, so there's not as much confusion.

I'm happy so long as I don't have to be in the same room with anything from "A New Zealand Prayer Book." The very mention of it makes me break out in hives.

Redwolf
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm happy so long as I don't have to be in the same room with anything from "A New Zealand Prayer Book."
:lol: Our priest's brother lives in New Zeland!!!!

Our church does Rite II during Advent and Lent- it's like we are being punished or deprived and such a wonderful relief to get Rite I back. :)
I can always say I'm giving up Rite I for Lent.

I know what you mean about the responses. Most of our church is older folks, raised with Rite I so no matter what the prayer book says, we generally get the Rite I response from almost everybody. I have to play lots of the hymns out of their old battered, falling apart 1941 hymnal too. Those are the tunes they know.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:
I'm happy so long as I don't have to be in the same room with anything from "A New Zealand Prayer Book."
:lol: Our priest's brother lives in New Zeland!!!!

Our church does Rite II during Advent and Lent- it's like we are being punished or deprived and such a wonderful relief to get Rite I back. :)
I can always say I'm giving up Rite I for Lent.

I know what you mean about the responses. Most of our church is older folks, raised with Rite I so no matter what the prayer book says, we generally get the Rite I response from almost everybody. I have to play lots of the hymns out of their old battered, falling apart 1941 hymnal too. Those are the tunes they know.
"A New Zealand Prayer Book" isn't actually the official prayer book of New Zealand. It's an alternative service book designed to appeal to Maoris, which some American churches have picked up on because it sound more "modern." My hubby and I call it the "Fun with Dick and Jane Prayer Book."

Redwolf
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Could be worse...

They could be doing services with music by Simple Minds...
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

rh wrote:
jkwest wrote:Do not bash my faith either, thanks.
certainly was the furthest thing from my mind when i posted the article.
it wasn't you i was referring to...it was djm...he has some pent up frustration with Christianity
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Next thing ya know "Fairytale of New York" will be the Offeratory hymn at Midnight Mass.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

TelegramSam wrote:As for U2, I'm so sick of Bono all the way around, personally. I mean yea it's great that he does charity work and stuff, but when he opens his mouth in public he always manages to come off as a self-righteous snob.
...if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck :D

As for the music, I like some of U2's older stuff, but anything after Achtung Baby you can keep.

Ditto on both counts...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Redwolf wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:U2 as church music? Weird.

As for U2, I'm so sick of Bono all the way around, personally. I mean yea it's great that he does charity work and stuff, but when he opens his mouth in public he always manages to come off as a self-righteous snob.

Well, me too. But to each his own, or so they say. And if it gets young people into church, I'm willing to give it a nod. Just don't take away my Tallis and Byrd!

Did you hear the one about the U2 concert in Dublin? At one point, Bono got up and started clapping his hands, very slowly. Dead silence in the concert hall. When he'd gotten everybody's attention, he said "every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." From the back a voice piped up: Well, fookin' stop doin' it den!" :lol:

Redwolf
Ha ha! Yes! I was just about to bring that up, but you beat me to it. Only I heard that happened at a U2 show in Glasgow...
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Jazz Vespers in Vancouver, anyone?

It could be argued that all music is religious music, 'though Sunday Bloody Sunday wouldn't fit well in many services.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
rh

Post by rh »

Some of my favorite religious music
there is no end to the walking
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

In-a-gadda-da-vida Deus,
don'tcha know that I love you?
In-a-gadda-da-vida Jesus,
don'tcha know that I'll always be true?

Oh won'tcha come with me,
and take my hand?
Oh won'tcha come with me,
and walk this land?

Please take my hand...

gonzo was once an Episcopalian and an altar server but now is no longer allowed upon consecrated ground, although he can still swing a thurible with the best of them.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
djm

Post by djm »

My sweet Lord (hallelujah)
My, my, my lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (hare krishna)
My sweet lord (krishna krishna)
My lord (hare hare)
Hm, hm (gurur brahma)
Hm, hm (gurur vishnu)
Hm, hm (gurur devo)
Hm, hm (maheshwara)
My sweet lord (gurur sakshaat)
My sweet lord (parabrahma)
My, my, my lord (tasmayi shree)
My, my, my, my lord (guruve namah)
My sweet lord (hare rama)

etc.

fade to grey

over 'n' out

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.