disturbing video...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TyroneShoelaces

disturbing video...

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

ever been mugged by a quaker?
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Janice, it ain't funny. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

I don't get it. What's supposed to be disturbing about a string of mostly still pictures and little sound clips?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

That poor kid looked like he was going to choke! And his silly mom was just cracking up..

I did giggle though.. :)
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Don't know why everyone assumes that's his mother. He keeps
calling her "Janice". Probably an aunt. Everyone knows aunts are
homicidal maniacs...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I watched it four times, and with each viewing my attention was less upon the kid's reaction to the ride and more drawn to the woman. In the end I was struck by how her laughter seemed to be pleasure at the poor kid's terror and discomfort. I don't think what I saw was her enjoying the ride itself at all.

Yeah, "disturbing" gets my vote. But then, I somehow just can't do Schadenfreude. At least that way, anyway. Call me a wet blanket.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Okay. I was able to change my browser and see this. I don't think she even looked at the kid, and was certainly too wrapped up in her own enjoyment to register that the kid was in trouble.

djm
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Boy, I just don't know what to think. There was a time when she did look right at him and she touched him on the arm and said something---so from that point on, I think we know that she was aware of his problem. Perhaps she could see that he couldn't possibly fall out---maybe due to other devices holding him in--but it's hard to understand seeing someone practically being hung and not registering any concern. I wonder if she could have been hysterical---I know people can laugh very inappropriately when they are freaked and don't know what to do. It would be interesting if someone could interview them.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

i don't know for certain if the woman was reacting in any way to the thrill of the ride, but she clearly showed no compassion for the trauma the kid was experiencing.
ever been mugged by a quaker?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:Okay. I was able to change my browser and see this. I don't think she even looked at the kid, and was certainly too wrapped up in her own enjoyment to register that the kid was in trouble.

djm
Funny how we see this differently. It seemed to me that her laughter had a direct relationship to the kid; she didn't have to look at him to know what he was going through. Of course I can't prove it. There was just something in the quality of her laughter that makes me suspicious that the ride was incidental to her enjoyment.

Okay, just watched it again, this time with the sound off. I got a different impression, now. My first reaction was definitely tied to the sound of her laughter. Watched it again with the sound on, and I'm less of my first opinion than before.

I just don't know what to make of it, after all. I could well be mistaken in my first assessment.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

At the end of the clip, she seemed to take something out of her ears. It looked to me as though she was wearing earplugs or a walkman or something. I don't think she could hear the kid, or at least, not enough to register distress.

I don't understand what she could have done to stop it. A lot of these fairground rides, once they've started, that's it. No choice.

You wouldn't get me up in one of them things. :boggle:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:At the end of the clip, she seemed to take something out of her ears. It looked to me as though she was wearing earplugs or a walkman or something. I don't think she could hear the kid, or at least, not enough to register distress.
In any case, she did look at him at least twice. She didn't seem unsympathetic. As you say:
Innocent Bystander wrote:I don't understand what she could have done to stop it. A lot of these fairground rides, once they've started, that's it. No choice.

You wouldn't get me up in one of them things. :boggle:
I expect the kid wasn't exactly forced into it. He had to have seen it in operation first.
djm

Post by djm »

No, she didn't have anything in her ears. I thought that too the first time, but she's just pushing some of her hair back at the end.

She seemed to have her eyes closed, as far as I can tell. But maybe the sight of a grossly overweight kid just set off her funny bone, or as Cynth suggested, perhaps her own fear/excitement of the ride set her laughing in hysteria.

Somehow, though, I am not convinced it is as evil as one may at first be led to believe. Now me, on the other hand, I am pure, concentrated evil. :twisted:

djm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

In places like that, I am first on the queue.

I just love that "nads in the back of the throat and heart attack at any moment" vibe. Great crack altogether.

I would be just like Janice..laughing my ass off at the panic and fear of the kid..who btw, I think is a girl..a young, slightly overweight girl, but a girl nonetheless.

There's more chance of choking on a chicken bone than there is of dying on a fairground ride..though it might not seem like that at the time :lol:

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

I don't think Janice is the mom. No resemblance, and besides...she's Janice.
I interpreted her laughter to be her reaction to the ride. I don't think she had time to catch her breath and composure to fully take in what a bizarre response the kid was having to the ride.
Don't send that kid on any more rides.