OT: Celtic baby names...any suggestions??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I step away for the afternoon and come back to lots of lovely replies...thanks so much, everyone, for all the help and suggestions...keep them coming!

Tyghress,
My husband doesn't post on the board, but I'll ask one of my sisters, who post once in a while, to let you all know when it's all over with (shudder...not looking forward to the labor...the last two were horrible nightmares). Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Sweetone,
"Cees" is just a nickname one of my little sisters gave me many years ago when she couldn't say my name (Kiirsi)--she started calling me "Ceesi" ("See-see") and it eventually got shortened. It's pronounced like the word "cease".

Earthmom,
Liadain--that is really pretty. I haven't come across that anywhere. Any idea what it means?

Lee,
That's a great idea! Where would I find Irish or Welsh translations of wishes? Do you know of any websites I could go to?

Thanks again, everyone!
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

Hi,

I'm a teacher and see lots of kids' names. I'm also the father of three kids, so I know how much fun it can be in naming a child. Once a friend came up with the name Hellshidam for one of ours...you figure it out.

But as real names go, parents seem to be naming kids with really different spellings, nowadays. How will a strange spelling do anything for the person who has to go through their life constantly spelling their name for people? For instance, Lawrence, spelled Luarynce; Adrian spelled AAdraeann; and Johnsall spelled Yjohnsall. These are real spellings. Try this. How do you pronounce Durian? It sounds like Duran. And how do the kids feel when someone mispronounces their name for the umpteenth time? So let's go for the old fashioned. How about naming your kid Cleopatra? I've seen it, although I'm still waiting for Hercules and Godzilla to come into the first grade!

JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnPalmer on 2002-10-07 23:48 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Couple popular 1st names for girls, 100% pure celtic guaranteed, but from Breton origin :

Armèle or Armelle (= honey)
Maelenn
Anagwenn
Nolwenn
Morgane / Morganenn
Gwenaelle

(Gwennladen doesn't qualify, nor does O'Sama)
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

On 2002-10-07 19:26, Cees wrote:
Sweetone,
"Cees" is just a nickname one of my little sisters gave me many years ago when she couldn't say my name (Kiirsi)--she started calling me "Ceesi" ("See-see") and it eventually got shortened. It's pronounced like the word "cease".
Well Cees,
It is a duch name they gave you then, here it's pronounced "Case" or "sace"as in lace
cheers
Listen, play and have fun!
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

My daughter's name is Evlin (from Éibhleann:"sheen, beauty, radiance"). This was not on the short list my wife and I had settled on, but when Evlin came into the world all of a sudden none of those other names fit. We both recalled the name Evlin from the Gaelic names book that I had at the time and it was a perfect fit. I know there was some "goddess" reference in the book as well but alas it is long gone.

Cheers,
David

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feadan on 2002-10-08 08:14 ]</font>
psychih

Post by psychih »

On 2002-10-07 23:45, JohnPalmer wrote:
How do you pronounce Durian? It sounds like Duran.
:grin: :grin: :grin: <b><i>Durian?!!</i></b>...man...I'd definitely hate to be a kid named Durian in Asia. It's a <a href="http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/" target="new">fruit</a> with a really strong scent. And it's pronounced <i>doo-ree-ahn<i>.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

looks like a brain... thanks chih, made my morning.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Some of my faves are:
Anwyn
Aelwydd (Welsh), means "from the hearth"
Edana, which I think might be "little spark"
Caitlin
Maire

My children's names are Connor and Rhiannon, so I have to admit to being partial to those too. Not that Connor would work in your case... :razz:

Congratulations, Cees! May the newest addition to your family bring you much joy and happiness, and may her life be filled with wonder and beauty!!

Hwyl,
Andrea
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

Here are a few that I've heard that I like and that sound Celtic:

Taryn
Aileen

John Mac
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

On 2002-10-08 04:50, sweetone wrote:
Well Cees,
It is a dutch name they gave you then, here it's pronounced "Case" or "sace" as in lace.
cheers
I had no idea it was an actual real name somewhere. Any idea of the meaning?

Andrea, many thanks!

:smile:
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

On 2002-10-07 23:45, JohnPalmer wrote:

How will a strange spelling do anything for the person who has to go through their life constantly spelling their name for people? For instance, Lawrence, spelled Luarynce; Adrian spelled AAdraeann; and Johnsall spelled Yjohnsall. These are real spellings.
I face a similar problem. My parents, being so thoughful named me as Kevin. Common spelling, right? BUT people tend to add a 'l', calling me Kelvin, sometimes thinking it's Calvin, or worse, Alvin.

Such simplicity in a name, and yet! Terrible!
KT.
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

Rhian (originally short for Rhiannon, but a name in it's own right)
Bethan (or Beth)
Llinos (may be butchered though)
Llio (as above)
Angharad
Cerys (variant on Carys)
Frannia (one of my friends is called this short for Francesca, but it sounds sort of celtic!)
Sian
Aimee (welsh spelling of Amy)
Elin (ditto Ellen)
Lowri
Nia
Siwan
And a couple of Irish ones - Eabha, Maedhbh, Cliona, Aine, Orla

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jo C on 2002-10-08 12:01 ]</font>
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

[/quote]

I had no idea it was an actual real name somewhere. Any idea of the meaning?

Andrea, many thanks!

:)

[/quote]
I did some searching and this came up, Cees is a derivation from the name Cornelis, which means about "the hardened one", as hard as stone.
Cheers
Listen, play and have fun!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sometimes it seems people can have trouble with the simplest names. For example, my surname is Nickel...simple, yes? But even though I always spell it for people, they inevitably spell it Nickle or Nichols (and even when they get the basic spelling right, they insist on adding an "S"..."Nickels").

My real first name has also been a source of confusion. It's Audrey...again, pretty simple. But I've gone through life learning to answer to "Andrea," "Audra" and even "Andre"!

The prize for the oddest spelling, however, to my mind, goes to the parents of a young lady who used to work at a grocery store I shopped at. Her name tag read "Thejuanita." One day I asked her how she pronounced it and she said "Tawana." Yikes! Poor girl...I bet nobody ever got her name right on the first try!

Redwolf