Don't try this at home ...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ostrich Caller

Don't try this at home ...

Post by Ostrich Caller »

From Wikipedia:

Duct or fipple flutes can also be used as nose flutes. The 'bidi' of Taiwan ('bi'=nose, 'di'=flute in Chinese), which the native Taiwanese "Ami" people call 'di bolo', have the beak of the whistle inserted into one or two nostrils (if used for a double flute, one tube for each nostril and hand.) The practice of two whistles played with the nose has been observed in India, at religious festivals.
Faelan

Post by Faelan »

I recieved my first tin whistle as a Christmas Present.

4 Hours later after mastering 'Old MacDonald', my childish nature kicked in.

I played the tune a couple times through blowing through the mouthpiece with my left nostril, whilst breathing in with my mouth.

It was much fun.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

In this year-old thread, Wanderer mentions that he does use his nose sometimes when playing at a RenFaire:
Wanderer wrote:On weekends where I've not been doing well, I've been known to march up, look lustfully at a young woman, proclaim that I am inspired because she is the most beautiful creature I've ever seen, and ask if I can woo her with a tune. They always say yes. I then play a slow air with the whistle in my nose. This always gets a tip, even if she does make a face :)
lordofthestrings
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

I've been asked (in the middle of a gig, of course!) if I can do any tricks with my instruments. I've played the whistle backwards (by turning 180 degrees to have my back to the audience...people get too much of a kick out of this, try it) played the violin by having two voulenteers hold either end of the bow, and me moving the instrument bakc and forreth beneith it whilst fingering, and once I did play my 'brass acorn' with my nostril.

I was later comissioned to make an instrument to be played with the nose only, and came up with a set of 2 pipes: one (basically a copper whistle) to be finered, and one to drone (with interchangable tubes to change the note). These had a brass tube that protruded up from the fipple, and could be covered in rubber tube to 'conform' to the individual's nostrils. He was delighted, and I declined his offer to let me give it a try.

*Note for would-be nostril whistlers: do not attempt if you have a cold!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
CountryKitty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CountryKitty »

The Hawaiian Islanders had a flute that was specifically to e played with the nostril. Breath from the mouth wasn't really considered 'ure' becuase people did mundane things like eat with it, or sinful things like LIE with it, and of course when sick would vomit with it. Breath from the nose, being used only for the breath of life, was pure adn was considered apropriate for use with the flute...which was for wooing a lover.

Bid on one on eBay and got it for a penny! (As it is souvenier quality it doesn't play well tho' I'm gonna see if I can 'tweak' the mouth...um, NOSEpiece a bit to improve it.) When it came I explained to my kids how it was played...they both immediately announced "Ewwwwww!--Can we try?!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

lordofthestrings wrote: *Note for would-be nostril whistlers: do not attempt if you have a cold!
And never, ever, run with a whistle in your nose!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
walrii

Post by walrii »

I can hardly wait for the thread discussing the origin and content of the clogging moisture in nose flutes......mmmmpppffff.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

walrii wrote:I can hardly wait for the thread discussing the origin and content of the clogging moisture in nose flutes......mmmmpppffff.
Some would say it is condensation, but it'snot. :P
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Buckeye67 wrote:
walrii wrote:I can hardly wait for the thread discussing the origin and content of the clogging moisture in nose flutes......mmmmpppffff.
'Course it'snot. :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
anam cara

Post by anam cara »

Buckeye67 wrote:
Faelan wrote:I recieved my first tin whistle as a Christmas Present.

4 Hours later after mastering 'Old MacDonald', my childish nature kicked in.

I played the tune a couple times through blowing through the mouthpiece with my left nostril, whilst breathing in with my mouth.

It was much fun.

:lol:
Oh, this is good fun. Very entertaining :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

Rahsaan Roland Kirk
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Back a while ago, there was a hilarious one man show called "Steven Bank's Home Entertainment Center" about a musical dreamer with a really _low_ attention span. In one segment, he plays recorder with his nose. It's six minute into the segment here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47pc0D722A

But I really suggest you take in the whole hour program starting here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62EePXzshX8

Best,

Dave
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Denny wrote:Rahsaan Roland Kirk
He played flute and whistle as well - but not at the same time!
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

Adrian wrote:
Denny wrote:Rahsaan Roland Kirk
He played flute and whistle as well - but not at the same time!
Well, where's the fun and amazement in that? It doesn't count unless he can play both at the same time!

[/sarcasm]