World's Silliest Cat

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

World's Silliest Cat

Post by PhilO »

Ok, I know we recently did this, but I'm starting a new thread in part to show just how silly cats can be - you can probably start a new thread every week! Anyway, part of my annual birthday celebration (I was 58 this week, OY) is a wonderful homecooked spaghetti and meatball dinner (although not generally my preferred type of fare, this will be my last meal request). At some point after woofing it down with a nice chianti (no, no fava beans) in the dining room, the white cat (whose name after much debate over the years is actually "The White Cat"), as is her wont, stood tableside with her front paws on my lap; lo and behold we noted that her entire chest and throat area were deep orange in color. After cancelling out a dread heretofore unknown disease, using our powers of duduction and scientic testing (smell), we realized that the white cat had jumped on to the stove (as is also her wont) in the kitchen and had put her head into the pot of meatballs and sauce and had taken on the sauce around the rim. She had also licked all of the sauce off one meat ball thereby clearing up the mystery of the sole naked dry meatball as well.

You should know that the black cat (known formally as "The Black Cat"), her sister (well, half sister I guess), is smart and somewhat regal in bearing.

I invite similar recent stories in the vein of "Can you top this?"

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

And she didn't nosh on the meat ball? Crazy. But typical for cat weirdness. Mine loves spaghetti sauce, too. And now she'll sit and wait for me to feed her the noodles. More treats.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Happy birthday to one of my favorite oltimer posters... :party:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Meow! :)

That's cute.

You know...it's my impression far mroe C&Fers are catpeople, rather than dogpeople, ya know? It's a good thing. :)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

We have a White cat too (and it's not deaf!) but ours is called Splodge. Sounds odd until you get the explanation that she had a black splodge on her head when she was a kitten.

Once upon a time I was eating some mushrooms. It might have been a fried-egg-and-mushroom sandwich. It might have been the remains of a mushroom timbale. Whatever it was it was vegetarian. But my wife's cat "Lady" was very interested in my meal. Usually they pester her if she is eating tuna or chicken. Lady was on the verge of pestering me. After I had finished, there was a sliced mushroom stalk (fried, at very least or boiled) on my plate. I didn't notice it until Lady pinched it. She swallowed it immediately, apparently thinking it was meat of some kind.

Have you ever seen a cat look surprised, disappointed and disgusted all at once? It is something to see.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The Weekenders wrote:Happy birthday to one of my favorite oltimer posters... :party:
Thanks Weekenders; right back at ya! :)

Innocent: sounds like you need to have a camera handy at all times! :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Innocent Bystander wrote:We have a White cat too (and it's not deaf!)
I thought it was just the white cats with blue eyes that tended to be deaf. That's what I was told as a youngster, anyway.

Ah, here's a link.
There is an established link between the white coat color, blue eyes and deafness. The tapetum lucidum is generated from the same stem cells as melanocytes (pigment cells). The blue eyes in a piebald or epistatic white cat indicates a lack of tapetum. Deafness is caused by an absence of a cell layer in the inner ear that originates from the same stem cells as well.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

We had a kitten who had just grown into the ability to jump up on
kitchen counters. I had just cooked some hamburgers on the George
Foreman grill, which features an external dish which catches the
grease (this is the vaunted "fat-busting" feature of Foreman's
Grilling Machine). Once we had finish eating in the dining room,
my wife and I returned to the kitchen, and the grease catching dish
was empty. My wife denied emptying the dish, and I know I hadn't
yet (gotta be careful not to toss it down the sink). Then we both
spied the kitten licking her greasy whiskers...

Now, this was a lot of grease for a 3lb. kitten. Luckily, my wife is
a vet, so she knew just what to do: panic. She kept saying "Aaaaaah,
pancreatitis!" over and over. We sequestered the kitten and fed her
HydrogenPeroxide to try to induce vomiting, but the cat just looked
got angrier and gassier without any wretching. So eventually we gave
up and decided she was decendant from feral garbage eaters (she was
orphaned at 1 week old). Turns out we were right. Later she stole a
toaster waffle right off my plate, an uncooked chicken breast, Pizza
crusts out of the trash, and numerous other illicit foodstuffs. Luckily,
she's gotten too fat and lazy to steal much anymore. But we still can't
turn our back on cold ceral or glasses of milk.
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

I once watched our gray tabby ("Boots", after his white feet) take off after a squirrel in our back yard. The squirrel headed for the nearest tree with the cat hot on his tail, but stopped a few feet up the trunk. The cat was so busy chasing he forgot to do any actual catching, and ended up farther up the tree trunk a few feet above squirrel. They both froze for a second or two, the squirrel looking up and the cat looking down, then took off -- the cat down the tree and the squirrel up, passing each other again. The cat ambled off trying to look nonchalent....
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

I was motoring up in my dinghy to the big boat, and my cat tansy was sitting on the bow, all regal and stoic. Suddenly she just jumped over board. I killed the outboard and she came up about 25' behind me. Swam up, slapped one paw on the gunwhale and lifted herself in. Shook hard and gave me a look that said "don't say a word".
I guess she had to find out firsthand what all this water is about.
all the best,Tansy (I use her name 'cause I'll never forget it. As I write this, she is asleep(pretending) on her sheeps hide, in the berth across from me.
Her full name is Tansy Lee
shy the blond water
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

tansy wrote:I was motoring up in my dinghy to the big boat, and my cat tansy was sitting on the bow, all regal and stoic. Suddenly she just jumped over board. I killed the outboard and she came up about 25' behind me. Swam up, slapped one paw on the gunwhale and lifted herself in. Shook hard and gave me a look that said "don't say a word".
That is an awesome image. I can just see a cat sitting in the wind on the bow...
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

fearfaoin wrote:
tansy wrote:I was motoring up in my dinghy to the big boat, and my cat tansy was sitting on the bow, all regal and stoic. Suddenly she just jumped over board. I killed the outboard and she came up about 25' behind me. Swam up, slapped one paw on the gunwhale and lifted herself in. Shook hard and gave me a look that said "don't say a word".
That is an awesome image. I can just see a cat sitting in the wind on the bow...
"I'm King of the World!" - Not a big stretch for a cat.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

BTW, Onions and garlic are toxic to cats, so I'd really keep them away from the spaghetti sauce.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jack

Post by Jack »

jsluder wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:We have a White cat too (and it's not deaf!)
I thought it was just the white cats with blue eyes that tended to be deaf. That's what I was told as a youngster, anyway.

Ah, here's a link.
There is an established link between the white coat color, blue eyes and deafness. The tapetum lucidum is generated from the same stem cells as melanocytes (pigment cells). The blue eyes in a piebald or epistatic white cat indicates a lack of tapetum. Deafness is caused by an absence of a cell layer in the inner ear that originates from the same stem cells as well.
This also happens with Dalmatians (which are not usually cats, but still...)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, this isn't that funny but ....

We fix Flora and Lilly each a little bowl of wet food at dinner time. One night Flora came downstairs and Lilly was a little late for some reason, so we left Lilly's on the kitchen counter and took Flora's and our dinner into the dining area and we all sat down to eat. After dinner I was looking all around for Lilly's dinner in the kitchen and was asking my husband what he did with it and we were thinking maybe we forgot to fix it, total confusion. Well, it turns out that Flora had jumped up on the counter very quietly and eaten Lilly's dinner after she ate her own and then my husband had put the bowl in the dishwasher just thinking it was some bowl he'd used when he was fixing dinner. The counter is out of our sight but just barely and normally we can hear a kitty jumping up on the counter from the dining area, so she was darn quiet and darn careful. We tried to wring a confession out of her but she remained completely calm and innocent-looking throughout the interrogation. We made Lilly another dinner and we are more careful now!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca