Public Service Announcement: First wet the sponge

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Martin Milner wrote:...People of extremely low intelligence should not play around with microwave ovens.
Then how the heck do you expect me to heat my porridge?

...or dry the puppy?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, the next thing he'll be tellin me is not to drive and talk on the cellphone!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

The Weekenders wrote:Yeah, the next thing he'll be tellin me is not to drive and talk on the cellphone!!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:....I have to say I probably wouldn't have thought to wet the sponge before nuking it if I had. It's a good thing I have a soft spot for my pathogens.
:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one. This has been a very educational thread for me.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

chrisoff wrote: ...One of these involved putting water in a mug and heating it in the microwave, before adding a teaspoon full of coffee to the cup (at this point we're wondering why they didn't just boil a kettle like most other people). The water had become superheated and the act of putting a cold teaspoon into it made it suddenly remember that it was supposed to boil. The end effect was an explosion of absurdly hot water all over the individual trying to make a cup of coffee in a stupid way...
The reason the water did not boil in the microwave in the first place may have been because he was using distilled water. For reasons not quite clear to me water that does not contain any impurities does not boil. The introduction of the coffee mix (or just the spoon itself) would have introduced something into the water that was not the water, hence a violent explosion of superheated water.

If I were'nt scared away from being a physics major by the prospect of calculus two and three I'd have a better explaination than that. But as long as you use tap or mineral water the above should not happen.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

I'd guess it has to do with surface tension. Analogous to a rain drop, in which the surface tension goes up toward infiinity as the drop diameter goes toward zero -- this is why rain drops tend to form around dust particles instead of out by themselves (and leave your car looking dusty after a rain). Maybe bubbles need a "seed" to form around, too.

Or not. It's been 15 years since I morphed from a chemical engineering student into a software developer, and the memory started to go long ago...
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

emmline wrote:Sorry--this thread title reminded me of The Green Mile...bad memory!!

Yes! wet the sponge or really bad things happen.....

Didn't you love Mr. Jingles?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

This thread reminds me of a Public Safety Announcement..
WARNING!! NSFW or the extremely sensitive to blood and such:
clicky
Caj

Post by Caj »

As I understand it, water can also get superheated if you microwave it twice.

In a smooth container like a glazed coffee mug, the first-time nuking will get the tiny air pockets and such out of the water. Boiling happens because of these tiny disturbances. So, there is a danger to nuking water, forgetting about it, and then re-nuking it.

Caj
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

But really, if you have a microwave in a kitchen chances are you're going to have a kettle as well. So boil the water in the proper bloody appliance in the first place and you don't have a problem.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Unless you reheat the water in the kettle instead of the microwave.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

chrisoff wrote:But really, if you have a microwave in a kitchen chances are you're going to have a kettle as well. So boil the water in the proper bloody appliance in the first place and you don't have a problem.
Most (in my experience) American kitchens don't have electric kettles.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

avanutria wrote:
chrisoff wrote:But really, if you have a microwave in a kitchen chances are you're going to have a kettle as well. So boil the water in the proper bloody appliance in the first place and you don't have a problem.
Most (in my experience) American kitchens don't have electric kettles.
Seriously? :boggle:

Then how do Americans make a cup of tea? Something's very wrong here...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

My mom made tea with a regular kettle on the stovetop. When it's hot enough it whistles due to steam escaping through a special spout cap.

Target does sell electric kettles but often you have to hunt for them. My Brit-on-holiday has bought several so far, heehee.

Sample UK and US kettles:

Image Image
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

avanutria wrote: Most (in my experience) American kitchens don't have electric kettles.
So how do you make a hot beverage? Or a pot noodle? Aside from the microwave obviously.

When you cook rice, or boil potatoes do you heat the water in the pan from cold? I usually boil it in the kettle so it's got a head start. Or are we back to the microwave again?