Papiamento? Which language is this?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Papiamento? Which language is this?

Post by Jack »

http://calypsohouse.com/turks_and_caico ... h/tour.htm

Let that page load for a minute, then you'll hear a song. A man and a woman sing...but the language escapes me.

At first it sounds like French (it's not), then it sounds like Spanish (it's not), then it sounds sort of Germanic (it's not). I don't know what it is. Is it Papiamento? Does anybody here speak Papiamento and can tell me what the song is called?

Somebody suggested to me that the women singing in the background are singing in Spanish...I can't tell.

Is it some kind of weird Romance dialect?

I'm confused. :-?
djm

Post by djm »

A quick Google says the official language in both Turks and Caicos is English, but that some Creole is spoken, also. Perhaps this is what you're hearing (?).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:A quick Google says the official language in both Turks and Caicos is English, but that some Creole is spoken, also. Perhaps this is what you're hearing (?).

djm
"Creole" is not a single language. There are hundreds of creoles. That's why I want to know if it's Papiamento.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

The song is "Pa Fe Mwen la Pen" by Eric Virgal. He's from Martinique, and it's sung in French creole. I have it on the "Planet Zouk" compilation cd.
there is no end to the walking
Jack

Post by Jack »

rh wrote:The song is "Pa Fe Mwen la Pen" by Eric Virgal. He's from Martinique, and it's sung in French creole. I have it on the "Planet Zouk" compilation cd.
THANK YOU!!!! :D
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

And all this time I thought it was the red thing in the middle of a green olive. :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
rh

Post by rh »

I've only heard Papiamento spoken a couple of times -- very interesting creole, a mixture of Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch with some English and French mixed in plus some retentions from West Africa that are holdovers from slavery times (the latter a common feature of most Caribbean dialects, including Spanish). It is the creole spoken in Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao, AKA the Netherlands Antilles.

Here's John 1:1-8 in Papiamento:
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

BrassBlower wrote:And all this time I thought it was the red thing in the middle of a green olive. :P
I like Papiamento in my martini olives :D

In all seriousness tho, having a working proficiency in Spanish, French and some Portuguese comes in handy; I was able to understand maybe 70-90% of the text rh posted.
I may have to add another language to my "to-learn" list :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
rh

Post by rh »

Here's a guy on Youtube speaking Papiamento:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZjP66n8F-w

Here's a couple of videos in Papiamento
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eWzcxT4CkdU
Jack

Post by Jack »

rh wrote:I've only heard Papiamento spoken a couple of times -- very interesting creole, a mixture of Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch with some English and French mixed in plus some retentions from West Africa that are holdovers from slavery times (the latter a common feature of most Caribbean dialects, including Spanish). It is the creole spoken in Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao, AKA the Netherlands Antilles.

Here's John 1:1-8 in Papiamento:
"In the beginning was the Word..." one of my favorite set of verses of all. And the videos are very interesting. I keep hearing vowels that aren't supposed to be in Spanish, lol. Thank you for all the information! :)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

rh wrote:Here's a guy on Youtube speaking Papiamento:

That was really an interesting experience. I would not have known what to think if the language hadn't been explained beforehand. I was recognizing some words from Spanish and my mind seemed to be able to handle some sounds I associate with Portuguese being with Spanish-sounding words, but then there was what seemed to be a very nasal sort of French-sounding "O" (I don't know, perhaps there is an "O" like that in Portuguese, I don't know that language at all) and all these other words that I simply could not place in any sort of way. I could not pick up on the English parts at all. I felt quite disoriented. Much more so than if all the sounds and words had been unrecognizable to me. That was the first time I have heard a creole language spoken.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

rh wrote:The song is "Pa Fe Mwen la Pen" by Eric Virgal. He's from Martinique, and it's sung in French creole. I have it on the "Planet Zouk" compilation cd.
I have a few CDs like that. I pick them up for next to nothing in the bargain box. They never fail to amaze me, such bright and joyous tunes.

Next time I need a bit of info as to who is who - google is never a great help - I know where to go.

Respect...

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats