I am fed up and I am going.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:The minute you charge money to ask questions or receive answers is the minute I can no longer participate.
Don't worry, cran. Most forums will function just as they always have. The basic, or Pewter, package gives you read access to all forums, and Pewter members can post in all but the premium forums.

(Note to Caj: We really need to put a small cover charge on the Pub. Maybe we could call it the Silver Membership and have it include the basic Pewter package, plus Personals and Pub. I see the potential for some good numbers here, as I think this will be a popular choice.)
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

Kittens!
Last edited by Jack on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I just deleted some posts on this thread. I don't think we want to start talking about Iraq here. We know where that'll go.
djm

Post by djm »

harpmaker wrote:After the game the director called them to the side and started lecturing them about their performance. Instead of listening, they complained that it wasn't their fault, it was the rest of the band that caused the problems!
I am familiar with this particular tale, and you have left out the findings and conclusions, which were the most significant parts of the whole story. The findings were that the director was at fault for: a. automatically assuming that all band members were sufficiently aware of the intricacies of combined pattern marching (which they weren't), b. that all band members had received appropriate training to participate in advanced combined pattern marching (which they hadn't), and c. the director failed to communicate acceptable alternatives to the original actions of those few band members beyond just pointing out errors and failures.

I think the last is most telling. Help those who seem to be going astray according to your own personal rules of behaviour. If they are openly abusive and refuse to change, then you are in the right to shut them out, but if they are willing to compromise to express themselves within your rules, then you have kept the peace. Don't automatically assume that everyone has the ability to express themselves in what you believe to be the "correct" manner without a bit of coaching from time to time.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Dale wrote:I just deleted some posts on this thread. I don't think we want to start talking about Iraq here. We know where that'll go.
Good idea, Dale. We want to create a market scarcity. That will enhance demand once we come on line with the final product. Worked for Wii.
And yellow fringe
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

A few comments.

1. People often graciously say that moderating is a thankless job. Perhaps. But, it occurs to me that people thank me regularly and I hope the other moderators feel at least occasionally thanked.

2. No plans for a Gold or Silver membership. I could always use $800, but...I'm holding off for the big money deal.

3. The board is not exactly sucking out my personal fundage. I own chiffandfipple.com. Rich owns chiffboard.mati.ca. As far as I know, the Google ad revenue covers Rich's hosting expenses.
Last edited by Dale on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Dale wrote:I just deleted some posts on this thread. I don't think we want to start talking about Iraq here. We know where that'll go.

Unless you're quoting Stevie Wonder

"Iraq, Iran, Eurasia, you know
I speak very very..um, fluent spanish..."
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:That's where you and just two or three others wander off with your beers so as not to impose on the general population. The hydrangeas in the back yard are a good spot, especially if one or two want to take a smoke break. You blow off some political steam discreetly, and then you wander back to the party, sans politics.
Right, which is why I thought "Invited to Dale's house" was a bad
metaphor for the chiffboard. If people went to the Chat channel for
political discussion, then I might agree with that characterization of
the board.

</pragmatist>
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:That's where you and just two or three others wander off with your beers so as not to impose on the general population. The hydrangeas in the back yard are a good spot, especially if one or two want to take a smoke break. You blow off some political steam discreetly, and then you wander back to the party, sans politics.
the board.

</pragmatist>
I find myself agreeing with you. After all, one can cloak chat conversations, am I right? There's your hydrangeas for you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Nanohedron wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:
the board.

</pragmatist>
I find myself agreeing with you. After all, one can cloak chat conversations, am I right? There's your hydrangeas for you.
Good idea, nano. I can see it now --"Free Aluminum ChiffyChat membership with any paid premium channel."

Why hell, I'd get me a Gold with free Personals and free ChiffyChat, and I'd buy the Pub upgrade, too.
And yellow fringe
Denny

Post by Denny »

...so at what level membership do you get a complementary tin foil hat (could save on expenses by just having Walden post directions, I 'spose)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

anniemcu wrote:
dwinterfield wrote:
BTW - the NPS announcer asked if there is a happiest day of the year. The academic didn't share his criteria, acknowledged he had done the research and it falls on Friday, June 22 in 2007!
Oh good... my son turns 19 that day... he could use a Happiest Day. :)
Me too- it's the day before my ___ birthday! :party:

I'm just glad I don't have to make any decisions re: the political forum.
I miss it only slightly, but that could be because I am fed a steady stream of politics constantly at home . I can see where it would be missed by those who posted on it a lot. I enjoy the posts of several of the specific subdivisions-(ITM, non-U, whistle) but leave the posting on those, most of the time, to much more accomplished musicians than myself. Now if they take away the pub..... then I'd really be cryin'. :cry:

I also visit a few other sites, bungalow houses forums, a piano forum, rural carriers forum,etc. They are informative about their subject, but very one dimensional. I'm glad C&F is so very different.

Yes, we all came here initally because of an interest in whistles.With C&F I find a big extended group of folks who talk, like we all do in face to face life, about lots of things. Through this, over time, we come to kind of "know" each other a bit, form impressions , find folks we enjoy 'talking' with, develop friendships, and very important to me, learn and discover new things constantly. I could never find such a diverse and interesting group of folks anywhere else! For that, I thank you all.

C&F broadens the world for someone like myself.
Really, where else could I go to, not only learn about new whistle,pipe,and ITM tunes/developments, but read great poetry, ponder "deep" thoughts, see great photos from space, share sorrows and joys,births and deaths, discover "youtube", what movies to watch, and how ya'll talk, even that lingo of Dubhlinn's! :wink:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This is the most recent statement, I believe, from Dale about how moderating is going to be done. It would be good to go read the whole thing since I've just taken some bits from it.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=38810
Post subject: Some new approaches to moderating Apr 05, 2006
The moderators are going to be working something like this:

1. We will continue to lock and delete threads, and delete individual posts, in keeping with our best judgment.

2. We’re going to delete threads that refer to other threads that have been deleted or locked. So, let x = a deleted or locked thread. Let y= a “what happened to x?” thread. We’ll delete y.
Those who are wondering why threads were locked that asked about why the PoliCon Forum was locked or were raising the topic in some other way need wonder no more. Perhaps they have allowed this one to continue because they are trying to decide what to do. In any case, this thread is the odd one, not the ones that have been locked. We would have expected those to be locked.
5. We’re not going to be explaining our actions. It takes more time to answer “why did you do that?” questions than to actually, uh, do that.
The moderators do not explain their actions. So, that question should be straightened out now too. I've sent them messages on occasion explaining why I said what I did or stating my disagreement, but I do not expect a response and I do not get one. They can't hold hearings on everything that comes up----they'd need witnesses, laws, juries, lawyers, courts of appeal, it just isn't feasible---think about it. If you are in consistent disagreement with what they do, then sure, you would be happier somewhere else.

People have left the forums for many reasons----not enough freedom of speech, too much freedom of speech, too much goofing off, too serious, participants too stupid, participants too snobby. So whatever your problem is, there is someone who has just the opposite problem. :boggle:

I don't see how there can be a PoliCon forum without problems, but it seems like a good idea to have it. I haven't been there for awhile so I haven't seen the behavior that caused this little upset, but people who think the moderators are picking on their side probably could benefit from a vacation. I mean, dang, they've gotten me a few times but it's been pretty clear they roped in a few others too :lol:.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

beowulf573 wrote:
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.
Right you are. Then who you gonna call?