Am I the only college student who doesn't drink?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:I'm a college student who doesn't drink.
Horray for teetotalism! :)

(Despite the fact that I, like Walden, am a teetotaler, I always have to look up how to spell that.)

P.S. Walden, what do you do when you get thirsty?
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote: P.S. Walden, what do you do when you get thirsty?
Eat soup?
Reasonable person
Walden
gaelophisle

Teetotalism

Post by gaelophisle »

Cranberry & Walden count me , teetotalism is the way
Beannachd agus shiubhail 's sonas leat.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I was a non-drinking college student for 7 years - and I still don't drink, I'm just not in college anymore. I don't do it because I don't like the smell of alcohol, and I don't like the effects it has on the body, either in moderation or in excess.

In freshman year my campus went "dry". Lots of people complained about this, and continued to drink anyway, just in their rooms rather than in public. I remember seeing half-passed out students sitting in the hallway, and hearing retching sounds coming from the bathroom. I went to a party at a neighbouring student dorm and found more of the same. I heard stories about stupid behaviour while under the influence, and one year a pedestrian student was hit by the car of a semidrunk staff member on her way home from a Christmas party.

I really never saw the appeal of it all. Plus I had more spending money than my drinking friends because I didn't spend it on drink.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Having spent the last 10 years or so (5 of which as a student) getting drunk most weekends (and quite a few weeknights), I feel I should bring some balance to this thread by pointing out that I've had a lot of fun over the years with alcohol. Over that time my friends and I have never hurt anyone (except on rare occasions where self defence is required), have never broken any major laws, haven't caused a traffic accident or killed anyone. All of us are healthy and in good shape (although I did pile on the pounds for a while it was more due to office work and a poor diet, excercise and healthier food sorted that out).

I've met some great people, danced to some fantastic music (and quite a lot of bad), tasted some amazing beers/wines/spirits/cocktails and kissed a few nice girls. All while drunk as the proverbial.

On the downside I've had some brutal hangovers. Sometimes they're worth it, sometimes they're not. Them's the breaks.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I never had the time to drink. Full time classes in veterinary technology required waaaaaaay too much study to even think about getting schnockered... let alone sleep. :wink: :D
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

chrisoff wrote:Having spent the last 10 years or so (5 of which as a student) getting drunk most weekends (and quite a few weeknights).........
Please don't consider me as coming across holier-than-thou, I didn't like drinking as much as I enjoyed smoking the herb back in the day, but a piece of advice...

If you ever find yourself in hospital, PLEASE do let SOMEONE know you are a drinker. You will be treated for it quickly. Otherwise you'll go into DT's, which isn't great for you.

M

sermon over
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: If you ever find yourself in hospital, PLEASE do let SOMEONE know you are a drinker. You will be treated for it quickly. Otherwise you'll go into DT's, which isn't great for you.
Jesus, I'm not that bad. I don't get the shakes if I don't have a drink (cigarettes though...). I don't drink every day or on my own (well not often, and not to excess, usually a few beers or some wine at home in the evening), it's more of a social thing with friends. That and the fact that I'm Scottish and we probably get an ABV percentage stamped on us at birth.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Sorry, I stand by what I say. I'm a medical professional.

And you'll be surprised.

M
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

While not a teetotaler, I have never been a big drinker. I don't remember ever drinking in college, now that I think about it. I don't like the effects of alcohol either, and have never really seen the appeal of getting drunk. I've never in my life had a hangover (I have overimbibed a couple of times, but not enough for ill effects the next day). I have an occasional beer or glass of wine, very rarely anything stronger than that.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rebl_rn wrote: I've never in my life had a hangover (I have overimbibed a couple of times, but not enough for ill effects the next day).
... this strikes me as a matter that ought to be remedied. :lol: :lol: :lol:
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

It is one thing to not drink from personal preferences.

It is quite another to not drink and sanctimoniously crow about it. When one struts one's virtues upon the stage, then one runs the risk of making a vice of those very same virtues.
Last edited by gonzo914 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

gonzo914 wrote:It is one thing to not drink from personal preferences.

It is quite another to not drink and sanctimoniously crow about it. When one struts one's virtue's upon the stage, then one runs the risk of making a vice of those very same virtues.
I hope this is not how my post came across. I did not intent to strut whatever kind of odd virtue I may possess, I merely found it frustrating that, as a college student, I'm expected to drink myself into a cosmic stupor on a regular basis. It's frustrating when people assume things about you based on what is essentially an unrelated detail (specifically, that I am attending university).

I truly don't have any problem with drinking. If I were cooler and more prone to putting myself in social settings, I have no doubt that I would drink. A lot.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Hey, why drink yourself into a cosmic stupor when you can think yourself into one (that's what all that homework is for, dontchaknow)! You're in school, after all!! :P :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Congratulations wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:It is one thing to not drink from personal preferences.

It is quite another to not drink and sanctimoniously crow about it. When one struts one's virtue's upon the stage, then one runs the risk of making a vice of those very same virtues.
I hope this is not how my post came across. I did not intent to strut whatever kind of odd virtue I may possess, I merely found it frustrating that, as a college student, I'm expected to drink myself into a cosmic stupor on a regular basis. It's frustrating when people assume things about you based on what is essentially an unrelated detail (specifically, that I am attending university).

I truly don't have any problem with drinking. If I were cooler and more prone to putting myself in social settings, I have no doubt that I would drink. A lot.
I'm quite sure he isn't refering to you because you were not being sanctimonius. Also, he is the pope so he wouldn't just be talking to you personally.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca