Bad Thing / Good Thing

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cfrederi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cfrederi »

Especially considering the fact that one actually has to work for a living
Charlotte
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cfrederi wrote:Especially considering the fact that one actually has to work for a living
But consider the upside: you have a job. You can afford cheese!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cfrederi

Post by cfrederi »

[quote="Nanohedron
But consider the upside: you have a job. You can afford cheese![/quote]

and popcorn - and especially WHISTLES!!!
Charlotte
Denny

Post by Denny »

cfrederi wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:But consider the upside: you have a job. You can afford cheese!
and popcorn - and especially WHISTLES!!!
I'd prefer a nice wine with cheese. :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

The best thing to put on popcorn is hot water, and lots of it. You need to get the popcorn very soggy.

Method:
1-Buy pocorn at cinema snack stand
2-Take it into washroom and fill container with hot water, making sure popcorn stays in container
3-Take container of sodden popcorn with as much water still in it as you can to upper balcony of movie theatre
4-Make loud vomiting sounds as you pour the soggy popcorn on your unsuspecting victims below

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:The best thing to put on popcorn is hot water, and lots of it. You need to get the popcorn very soggy.

Method:
2-Take it into washroom and fill container with hot water, making sure popcorn stays in container
3-Take container of sodden popcorn with as much water still in it as you can to upper balcony of movie theatre
4-Make loud vomiting sounds as you pour the soggy popcorn on your unsuspecting victims below

djm
Well, considering your standard cinema popcorn - as I know it - that's about right, I'd say.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cfrederi

Post by cfrederi »

djm wrote:The best thing to put on popcorn is hot water, and lots of it. You need to get the popcorn very soggy.

Method:

djm
hmmmm - That would pose a small problem here in Copenhagen, we dont have a cinema with an upper balcony - Oh the Royal Danish Theatre has one :)

denny wrote:I'd prefer a nice wine with cheese
Come to think of it, so would I... I'd take a whisky with the popcorn
Charlotte
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Have you never tried popping the corn in butter? It can be done, although with the wrong kind of butter you can get black grainy bits. Olive oil and butter is good.

A dash of soy sauce can be nice on popcorn, if you are in the mood. Last time I was feeling inventive I put Hungarian Pakria on it. It was nice.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

chrisoff wrote:Buttered popcorn is so much better than salted or sweet. It annoys me greatly that I can't buy it at the cinema.
Ah, the Nirvana of popcorn at the flicks! I despise and eschew Payne's Poppets! What good would a trip to the cinema be unless one came out at the end with a large, flattened piece of Butterkist stuck, unbeknown to one of course, to one's trousers' arse? And what killjoy would spoil the night by advising one of one's recently-acquired accretion? Friends that would let you go for a post-movie pint with a large lump of squashed popcorn stuck on your bum without apprising you of the fact are friends indeed!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Butter and Seasoned Salt, or Garlic Salt and sometimes cheese powder... must have with a sit down movie on the boobtube.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Salty-sweet popcorn is a big draw at local fairs.
Around here that's called "kettle corn" and they pop it in a very big old black cast iron kettle with a hinged lid. Yummy!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

cfrederi wrote:
chrisoff wrote:Buttered popcorn is so much better than salted or sweet.
So no salt?

Sweet popcorn??? Does that mean that some people use sugar???
Here in Denmark we only sprinkle with salt.

I'll have to buy some popcorn and conduct some experiments...
popcorn with butter, cinnamon, and sugar is really really good.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

chrisoff wrote:Buttered popcorn is so much better than salted or sweet. It annoys me greatly that I can't buy it at the cinema.....(snip)
Trust me - unless you see the popcorn actually being popped and know for sure it's butter they are putting on it, you're better off not being able to buy it at your cinema.

My first job was in a movie theater. When they showed me how to do the popcorn I swore off movie popcorn for YEARS!

They bought the popcorn pre-popped, about 50 bags at a time. These were huge bags, like the kind that you use to bag up leaves in the fall. The bags were piled into the storeroom - which had mice - for weeks. The "butter" was actually a butter flavored grease. At night we had to pour the melted "butter" into a clean metal bowl and put it under the counter. Uncovered. Unrefrigerated. With the mice. The next day we opened a bag of popcorn, poured it into the warmer, and put the "butter" in the popcorn machine to melt. We were told never to let customers see us refilling the popcorn.

I usually bring in some candy of my own and eat that. Sometimes I will have a small bag of popcorn, but I don't get butter on it.

Kettle corn is good. Reminds me of Cracker Jacks.
Charlene
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Firstly, ewww to Charlene's story.

Secondly low heat was a bad idea which ended up with the corn taking ages to pop and the first ones to pop got slightly burnt, still edible though. After research on the net, high heat is the way to go. The butter didn't burn as the corn soaked it up.

As for going to the cinema I usually do the same as Charlene and take my own snacks or just go without. The prices in there are horrendous anyway. Although occasionally, if they stock them, I will succumb to a bag of crispy M&Ms.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

My work out partner sometimes uses popcorn as a test bed for spices.

Half fill a paper bag with popcorn, add oil, and then add garlic powder/lemon zest/curry powder/chili pepper/rosemary or what ever combination that he wants to try out. Shake it up for a bit and snack. Due to the mild flavor of popcorn, it gives him a feel for how the spices mix without making the whole meal.

I have yet to try this, but I do have some extra sumac and wasabi powder, or perhaps sour grape powder (Ghoura Angure (sp?)).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."