European Storms

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brigitte
antispam: No

Post by Brigitte »

It was one scary night here, had been the worst storm in 10 years and at a time we normally have no storms but deap winter with, at the moment the temperatures here can be 12 degrees Celsius and higher, incredible. Quite some trees came down in my local village. I was supposed to go to meet up with Colin at a concert venue, he had left the house earlier in the afternoon. By the time I wanted to leave the storm had become much more powerful, we got hit with gaelforce 12 at the peak of it which was about 21/22 oclock in the evening so I followed catastrophy advices and did not leave home... I was sitting in the attic room and it was howling around the roof, rattling windows and front door and when the waves (?) hit, it was all shaking joijoijoi :o, probably checked twenty time or more if something had fallen down the roof, trees still standing, workshop not blown away etc. when I heard strange noises. My direct neighbours did even more often after they lost the top corner tile of the roof which was facing the storm front and were lucky it did not fall into the windows when it came down. At some point I thought this is so dangerous to run around the house in that storm waiting that a tile falls on your head.... All long distance and later also short distance train connections where shut down. Bridges and motorways in our area were closed for traffic. No trains going in Germany has never happened before they said on the radio. And we were not hit worse in Northrhine-Westfalia, still 5 people died. The airpressure difference the strom ballanced out in Germany was 965 to 1015 which I learned is really a lot. My friends little son (10 years old) commented on the storm "now this is the climate catastrophy arriving, I wonder when we experience Tornados or Hurricanes". I guess if someone has to deal with the outcomings of nature raping then it is the now children and the next generations to come..... :cry:

Brigitte
(ooops, hope this answer does not belong into the rubber room :) )
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It's tempting to think of climate change, we had a seemingly endless succession of storm and gale force winds since November and half the average annual rainfall with it. In fact outside we're up to force ten again at the moment.
Some ten years ago we had one or two winters with similar weather though but with some storms thrown in bigger than what we've seen so far this year.
Most years the jetstream will push these storms more northward leaving us with some peace.

gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

izzarina wrote:. . . if humans were meant to fly, they'd have wings.
And if they were meant to ride on rails, they would have little metal wheels instead of feets.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Brigitte, it sounds like you really had a scary time. Glad you and the others that have posted are ok.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

thanks for caring cowtime. i wonder what it is like to live in the appalachian mountains. i hope i will see that part of the world one day.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"If god had meant us to fly, he would have given us the Air Fare."

Lot of trees down around us. One guy cashed his chips when a tree went through his windscreen. Another fellow went into the other side of the tree as it came down on the road and was perfectly all right.

Neighbour's Cypressi Leylandii came down. Bloody thing must have been twenty five feet high. There were chain-saws working all day to carve the thing up and feed it through the chipper.

But in the scheme of things, it's just another big storm. We had worse in 1987. And America has it worse two or three times a year.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Peter Laban wrote:As Dubh said it was windy but it has been windy since early november and this last storm didn't exceed what we've been getting at least once a week since (i.e. 130-150 km/h gusts). Parts of the UK and the continent just aren't used taking that.
We've had a succession of vigorous Atlantic depressions for the four weeks since Christmas, that's all. It's just that this particular one was a bit more vigorous at the "right" time and took a more direct route into Europe. By Cornwall standards this was pretty robust but nothing that we don't expect once or twice every winter. Actually, I set off for the 320-mile drive to Manchester at three on Thursday afternoon and got there at 8.30 with nary a hassle. In fact, we had a worse one in Cornwall in early December that damaged my roof and ripped off the metal top of my chimney cowl. The "Great Storm" of October 1987 (the worst storm in England since 1703) merely kissed Cornwall as a force 10 and wreaked its worst havoc in SE England. The "Burns Day Storm" of January 25 1990 was practically as bad (we had a force 11 blowing for hours in Cornwall and it caused a huge amount of damage - I had to remove a large part of the school music room roof from on top of my car so that I could drive home to rescue my two kids from their devastated school!), but the worst I've seen here was on March 29 1987. We'd been in our present house only six weeks when an incredible storm wrecked our roof and demolished my 18'x12' greenhouse. I found shards of glass 50 feet away. I still find pieces of glass occasionally when I'm digging. Yet that one was never reported in the national papers - because it didn't affect the major conurbations! A bit of a breeze in softie London and it's banner headlines the next day. We Cornish denizens know it's going to come and never make a fuss about it. :twisted:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My cousins (actually hubby's) in Germany had a good bit of damage, including some huge trees down and part of the roof over their pool gone. The trains were out for some time, planes as well. Quite unusual, and way too warm for winter.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:The "Great Storm" of October 1987
The "Burns Day Storm" of January 25 1990
Steve, this is starting to sound like an episode of Vicar of Dibley. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

And this week snow is due! :P
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Just had the first snow here of the year, which was nice. Got to band practice, nothing. Left band practice 2 hours later and everything was white. Unfortunately the road by the studio is not used much and show under the pretty white stuff was a nice layer of ice. Made driving away a bit interesting. Would have been more interesting if I hadn't missed that great big BMW that my car seemed unhealthily attracted to :D

Almost went straight through a roundabout before the ABS kicked in as well :oops:
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Snow is great. Our village gets cut off, and I can't get to the office!

Can't wait :D
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

buddhu wrote:Snow is great. Our village gets cut off, and I can't get to the office!

Can't wait :D
No, because I have to get to the office, no matter what. Even if I die trying.
John Foster West
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

claudine wrote:thanks for caring cowtime. i wonder what it is like to live in the appalachian mountains. i hope i will see that part of the world one day.

If you ever do get down this way, come on over and sit a spell and visit-

the view from Whitetop Mountain in southwest VA

the view from a hill behind my house-
Image[/img]
John Foster West
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

cowtime wrote:the view from Whitetop Mountain in southwest VA
When I was in high school, my oldest sister and I, along with 2 of her college friends, decided to hike up Whitetop on Thanksgiving weekend. It was warm when we started the hike, so we left our heavy jackets in the car. Big mistake. The top of the mountain was completely covered in ice and the wind was howling. Even the weeds and individual blades of grass were encased in 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice. It was beautiful, but we froze our @sses off. Brrr!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."