does the b foot matter?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

sweetxp wrote:haha seriously??

ohh i didn't know that.
Olweels, Grinters, McGees, Burns.... i wonder how they look like. do they look like the bohm.. flutes like the one i'm getting?
You might want to look a bit further than the word "flute" before you sign up and start posting.
There are at least 100 classical flute forums on the net, I'm always amazed we get so many noobs here asking Boehm questions without looking further than their noses reach.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Henke here.

M
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

B Foot.

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I have both sorts of flute, and on my Yamaha I have a B foot. I don't really notice it when I'm not playing that low note, but I suppose the flute is a bit heavier.

Whether one needs the B is a matter of opinion - there are times when its' really nice to have, e.g Mhairi Bhan Og in G even for traditional music, but on the other hand, I guess if you ain't got it, then you don't play that tune in that key... To actually get the low B to come out strong also takes a flute in very good working order and considerable practice.

'bye,

Chris.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Henke here.

M
You DO know that you don't have to be sorry to agree with me, right?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Hey Man, I thought about that as soon as I hit the send button :lol:

M
jehanna

Post by jehanna »

These guys and gals are mostly Irish musicians. They play wooden or other simple system (mostly) D flutes. Do not be fooded by the simple system though, it is not an easy instrument to learn to play well. Most concert flute players (that would be you) do not try to play the irish flute because it messes up their lip somewhat and is hard to switch back and forth. I play both and never had a problem but I am old enough to be your granny. Your geme is an intermediat not student flute and it is fine. My custom made Yamaha 881 has a c foot and closed holes. Most pro classical flute players use the c foot, b foot is of little or no use in band or orchertra music. If you want to do jazz or improve then you might need it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

jehanna wrote:Most concert flute players (that would be you)
not to be confused with classical flute

B foot...
jehanna

Post by jehanna »

excuse me, should have said classical music not classical flute.

look at the instruments above and have a peek at this video;
the kid is not great but it gives you an idea of the look and sound
You might find ITM is realy neat and you CAN play it on your flute if you work at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGteinY_ ... ed&search=
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

jehanna wrote:
the kid is not great

He's a lot better than me, and I really enjoy his videos. One can tell he loves the music and has a blast playing it.

But that's just my opinion, because I'm not brave enough to put up any video of moi playing a tune.....

M
sweetxp

Post by sweetxp »

oh LOL looks like i kinda am in the wrong forum. but it's okay because u guys helped me anyhow :)
Denny

Post by Denny »

jehanna wrote:excuse me, should have said classical music not classical flute.
only the last 100 and some odd years... :D

'sides, you said concert flute
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Denny wrote:'sides, you said concert flute
Yeah, the flutes pictured here are known as "concert" flutes, while the Boehm flute is known as the "Boehm" or "silver" flute, as far as I know.

I need a concert flute with a "B" foot, as well as the 11+ keys. Not for ITM, but for all-around music playing. Too bad they aren't available like that anymore (unless you like paying for playable jewelry).
Check out: Folding@Home!
jehanna

Post by jehanna »

I did not mean to kick up the dust. just trying to help an uninformed youngster on her way.
The boehm system flute, in silver or wood, is commonly called a concert flute as opposed to an Irish flute in the US. I realize the forerunner of the instrument was the classical or romance flute that could also be inferred to as a concert flute. I would love to lay hands on one but I think the are all kindling now.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
jehanna wrote:
the kid is not great

He's a lot better than me, and I really enjoy his videos. One can tell he loves the music and has a blast playing it.

But that's just my opinion, because I'm not brave enough to put up any video of moi playing a tune.....

M

Hes also only be playing a few years! Considering his progress I would say he is great. I was a burnt out silverflute player and watching him really helped kick my ass to get back into playing seriously.

He is a member of this BBS BTW.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

sweetxp wrote:oh LOL looks like i kinda am in the wrong forum. but it's okay because u guys helped me anyhow :)
Well, now that you're here, perhaps we could interest you in conical-bore wooden flutes, too. Different animal altogether.

Welcome to the dark side. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician