So who out there rides a fixed gear?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

So who out there rides a fixed gear?

Post by fel bautista »

Pulled a couple of quotes from the surly forum:
Fel Bautista wrote:
buskerSean wrote: hi Bagpipe Bomb, I'm riding fixed too, ultimately easier than piping in thatg it takes about a week to master!
SEAGULL wrote: I am also a fixed gear addict.! Vintage Japanese Keiran bikes are my poison. But i love them for the opposite reason as UPs. There is nothing that breaks. :lol:
Seems the start of a new thread on fixed gear which I'll start over in the Pub :D
So who does ride a fixed? I've ridden on the old 300 meter track in Carson, CA but haven't done anything since the mid 90s. Went to inagural World Cup at the new velodrome. In fact, there is a world cup event this week end that I may try to go see.

The last thing I need in the garage is another bike, but I could be arm twisted :D
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I'm pretty sure you are talking about some form of bicycling, but beyond that I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a bicycle with only one gear setting? How would you get up hills?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

djm wrote:I'm pretty sure you are talking about some form of bicycling, but beyond that I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a bicycle with only one gear setting? How would you get up hills?

djm
well you just have to walk and push the bike, easy .... :lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

claudine wrote:
djm wrote:I'm pretty sure you are talking about some form of bicycling, but beyond that I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a bicycle with only one gear setting? How would you get up hills?

djm
well you just have to walk and push the bike, easy .... :lol:
tow rope :lol:
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

djm wrote:I'm pretty sure you are talking about some form of bicycling, but beyond that I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a bicycle with only one gear setting? How would you get up hills?djm
Not only that but you cannot freewheel.
Advantages:-Lighter, less to go wrong, teaches you to have a high cadence, in Britain only required to have a front brake as you can 'kick back' to slow down.
Only known disadvantage:-Liable to ground pedals when cornering, that lifts the rear wheel and you bin the cycle and yourself.
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
djm

Post by djm »

I think I'd bring my come-along. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

C age ing wrote:Liable to ground pedals when cornering,
I used to be sooo good at that... :oops:
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I just joined AARP. Am I in the wrong thread?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

crookedtune wrote:I just joined AARP. Am I in the wrong thread?
Denny wrote:I used to be
:wink:
bagpipe_bomb

Post by bagpipe_bomb »

Hi

I ride an old Raleigh Pro frame from the 80's pared down to a fixed gear. At my wife's request I put on a front brake. I rode for years with none. Here in Portland we had a recent court case where they were going to require brakes on fixies but the messenger crowd appealed and proved to the court that they could actually stop just as fast with their burly legs than bike cops could with brakes. You cant swing a cat without hitting a fixed gear bike in portland.

On a related note. I am building up a super cool 1980s superlightweight Gianni Motta race bike (it's off getting a frame repair while I recondition the Campi Grupo) I am looking for any Gianni Motta stuff ( parts,jerseys, hats, decals etc.) that anyone might want to part with.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was at one time thinking that I would go “hard core” and do the one speed thing, but then I read this page and decided that I would just stick to the cheap multi speed bikes that I tend to destroy in three years. When I lock up to the rack, there are usually at least two fixed gear bikes on the rack. They look simple, sleek, and light (usually retrofitted ten speeds) and it is always neat to see one pop up to the light and balance on their two wheels waiting for the change to green, but I like changing gears on the hills and the ability to coast. But then, I am more into the daily commute with fenders and the other amenities.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

bagpipe_bomb wrote:Hi

I ride an old Raleigh Pro frame from the 80's....
753 frame by any chance :wink:

to all- I thought this topic would generate but a few comments but looks like I was mistaken.

DJM
Yes, get off and walk

ID.10-t- Sheldon Brown was a great guy and had a heap of knowledge on things Raleigh.
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Hi again - I've been riding a fixie for years - had an old Gios in Dublin that I filed off all the braze ons which was great. In New York now I've got a Viner track frame - its okay, not as comfortable as the Gios. Brooks saddle - one old campag delta brake (even squeegier than normal campag). I've got a bianchi with lots of gears and such modern fangled stuff in storage, but to be honest I love the fixed and will never ride other unless there are serious hills around.

If anyone ever comes across a Casati in 531 size about 51-2 I want it badly. Actually, any casati gold line in about that size would be awfully nice.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Kona Lavadome, circa 1998, on stickies. Disc front brakes, no backs. Quite a lot of titanium, including ti street forks. It's been sitting for 13 months, since I wrecked my leg.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

I'm not into bikes, but my brother is....big time. He did talk me into trying out one of his fixed geared bikes once.

However, this was one of the old fashioned ones with the 5 foot diameter front wheel and the one foot diameter rear whel.

Just getting on and off the thing was an experience in itself.

Now, when I want to ride something different, I'll go over and borrow one of his recumbents, the trike or one of his quads
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation