Cure for most cancers discovered... accidentally

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fiddleronvermouth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cure for most cancers discovered... accidentally

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Isn't it the way these things always seem to happen? A drug intended for something else entirely ends up being what they've been looking for... and it's been around for years.

Cheap, safe drug kills most cancers

"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Cool. And it's usually known as a toxic industrial waste. Where's the irony smiley?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If it sounds too good to be true...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

brewerpaul wrote:If it sounds too good to be true...
Here's to it being the exception to that rule...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

That would be quite interesting.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

We've had a few cases of wonder drugs that really weren't too good to be true, like aspirin and penicillin. I hope this one lives up to the promise.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
djm

Post by djm »

Not sure where you got the idea dichloroacetate, or DCA, is industrial waste. It's long been used to treat some metabolic disorders like lactic acidosis.

The real problem is that this is such an old drug that it is not patentable any more. That means the big drug companies aren't going to put any money into research. That means its up to government to fund the remaining studies to get this stuff trialed on humans. And since the big drug companies don't want the competition, government funds will probably be very scarce.

I expect this one will either quietly disappear, or someone from a government lab will find some "quite unexpected" problem (excuse) and then it will disappear.

There's no profit in actually curing cancer.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

There have been so many promises of major breakthroughs in cancer research.

I remember when my brother Bill was dying of lymphoma, the media were heavily hyping "research that kills virtually any cancer by shrinking the blood vessels that feed the tumor!".

After Bill died, my sister wanted to know why the docs hadn't tried this treatment on him.

It was well over a year later, if memory serves, when there were a few very brief articles discussing how the treatment didn't prove to be all that effective in real life, and how the researchers initial claims had been blown out of proportion in the initial reports.

Everytime there is one of these "major breakthroughs," I hope and yet I wince, because I pretty much know it's not going to pan out to really be anything useful, and I understand firsthand the pain and anguish these reports cause in cancer patients and their families.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

djm wrote:Not sure where you got the idea dichloroacetate, or DCA, is industrial waste. It's long been used to treat some metabolic disorders like lactic acidosis.

The real problem is that this is such an old drug that it is not patentable any more. That means the big drug companies aren't going to put any money into research. That means its up to government to fund the remaining studies to get this stuff trialed on humans. And since the big drug companies don't want the competition, government funds will probably be very scarce.

I expect this one will either quietly disappear, or someone from a government lab will find some "quite unexpected" problem (excuse) and then it will disappear.

There's no profit in actually curing cancer.

djm
http://www.ehponline.org/docs/1998/Supp ... tract.html
The chemical is a product of water chlorination and of the metabolism of various drugs and industrial chemicals. Its accumulation in groundwater and at certain Superfund sites is considered a potential health hazard.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
djm

Post by djm »

Gotcha.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

peeplj wrote:......Everytime there is one of these "major breakthroughs," I hope and yet I wince, because I pretty much know it's not going to pan out to really be anything useful, and I understand firsthand the pain and anguish these reports cause in cancer patients and their families.

--James
The media is always quick to release any tidbits... even speculation of anything promising. Because it's newsworthy... something 'we' all want to know about.
djm wrote:.....There's no profit in actually curing cancer.

djm

I think djm summed it up nicely.
Caj

Post by Caj »

djm wrote: There's no profit in actually curing cancer.
Of course there is profit in curing cancer. Why wouldn't there be? A large number of people desperately seek a cure.

Just because a company cannot get a patent monopoly on a medicine doesn't mean they can't profit from manufacturing it.

Caj
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Caj wrote:
djm wrote: There's no profit in actually curing cancer.
Of course there is profit in curing cancer. Why wouldn't there be? A large number of people desperately seek a cure.

Just because a company cannot get a patent monopoly on a medicine doesn't mean they can't profit from manufacturing it.

Caj
Read into it differently.
Finding an inexpensive cure for cancer would change the medical system as we know it. There would be many less Chemotherapy and radiation procedures... less surgeries, shorter hospital stays. Millions of dollars supporting (read: pouring into) this part of the medical field would diminish.