politics forum update ?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm glad to have it gone...and haven't missed it a bit. I seriously wish I'd had more self control not to keep getting sucked in :)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
fiddleronvermouth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

The forum was a very good place to learn about current events with people you have something unique in common with. I don't think anyone here who has read or participated in it can claim they never learned anything useful there. Many days when I came to that forum I would read about things I might not have otherwise found out. Just as it is with the pubs where Irish music is played anywhere in the world the people playing and listening will talk about current events, including politics, so it's not exactly out of context with this website.

I don't miss the lopsided moderation that allowed insults to get so far out of control... but I do miss the forum.
"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
I don't miss the lopsided moderation that allowed insults to get so far out of control... but I do miss the forum.
Just for posterity.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Cranberry wrote: What I actually meant is that I can't simply ask outright over here, in its own post, and see how many and which people are going, and I could do that on the other forum...
I bet that you could ask here, if you prefaced it with a long winded disclaimer that begged people to simply answer the question without spouting off.

Like that would work.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: politics forum update ?

Post by FJohnSharp »

Oops.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
emmline

Post by emmline »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:The forum was a very good place to learn about current events ... I don't think anyone here who has read or participated in it can claim they never learned anything useful there.
Agreed, but I don't miss the contention either.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Agreed, but I don't miss the contention either.
Amen.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I think the political board had the potential to be very instructive and enlightening if posters could have left personalities out of the issues, but that seemed impossible.

Susan
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

susnfx wrote:I think the political board had the potential to be very instructive and enlightening if posters could have left personalities out of the issues, but that seemed impossible.

Susan
Oh sure, Susan, there you go with your pissed-off in Utah attitude.
Nyuk.

To Dub: whatever it is that keeps ya here, I'm for. You are without a doubt, one of the most interesting posters aboard.... Do tell us more about the other kinds of music you play. I always figgered you for a pub player who wrote poetry or something for your other non-day job.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

Wanderer wrote:I'm glad to have it gone...and haven't missed it a bit. I seriously wish I'd had more self control not to keep getting sucked in :)
Wanderer, mind if I quote you on that? Wait a sec, I just did...nevermind

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
djm

Post by djm »

Well, the simple fact of the matter is that the politico/confrontational forum is gone and its all your faults.

And you're a bunch of poopy heads, to boot.

So there!

Nyah!

:P

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

dubhlinn wrote:
fiddleronvermouth wrote:
Just for posterity.

Slan,
D. :lol:
Something about leopards and their spots.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Folks, what really does NOT need to happen is for the vitriol from that board to spill over into the rest of C&F.

Let's all resolve not to do that.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
alurker

Post by alurker »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:I don't miss the lopsided moderation that allowed insults to get so far out of control.
See, an insult about insults. You can't get that on the other forums. :cry:

BRING IT BAAAACK. :x

Actually scratch that. I am quite enjoying all the leisure time that as been freed up. :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:
And you're a bunch of poopy heads, to boot.
I'm going to have to have a chat with the other mods to see if the phrase "poopy heads" is really apropriate for C&F. :P :wink:

The last time I checked, folks who went to pubs for music did exactly that, go for the music. Those who became agitated and boisterous and loud in their arguments were told to shut the feck up, because they were ruining the enjoyment of the music.