Electronic Whistle Idea

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benbrad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Electronic Whistle Idea

Post by benbrad »

I play electric guitar and I often run it through a Yamaha Stomp Box. As many of you no doubt know a stomp box is a electronic guitar effects processor. While playing my whistle and looking at my stomp box sitting on the floor an idea occured to me. Why not make an electronic whistle that runs through whistle processig software? Sound samples can be taken of all the high end and low end whistles that anyone would want to play. Varibles like chiff or breathiness could be dialed in to the desired amount. While the whistle itself would be a high D sized whistle (and so easy to finger) then run through the processor could be any key at any register high or low. Immagine playing a High D Abell or Burke at one moment and at the turn of a dial being able to play a Low D, F, or G Chieftain or Overton. You could have a full set of every brand of whistle in one box of software. Of course I'm sure there would be issues with liscencing and such but guitar processors simulate many different brands of guitar and amplifier setups without complaint from anyone. I'm sure this can be done. What do you think?
Ben
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I think Micho Russell is turning in his grave :)
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

Maybe so but progress and invention are inevitable. I'm sure there were many protests to guitar effects processors by the guitar purists yet nobody today questions the use of them at any concert. When anyone makes a recording in a studio today their music is run through many different processors to achieve the digitized sound that we now take for granted.
Ben
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

the guy from Gaelic Storm plays electronic pipes, so why not?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
nikiarrowsmith

Post by nikiarrowsmith »

Yeah Peter Purvis.....he plays the degerpipes (which are awesome btw). Its just another step in making music. I mean music is about creativity, right? Just like we haven't done away with acoustic guitars, we won't do away with whistles if we eventually have an electronic option. They'll always be there, coz there ain't no thing like the real thing. Same reason musicians still use acoustic grand pianos and acoustic guitars on stage. The real thing.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

MIDI wind controllers might prove suitable and providing samples are available of your chosen sounds, there should be no problem with your idea. As they are usually configured something like Böhm/Saxophone fingering, which is based on the six hole system, it shouldn't be too hard to adapt.
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

I play the Degerpipes as well, they're really fantastic, and have proved invaluable. I've thrown around an electric whistle idea before, but hit a few snags. First, how do you control the octaves? It would be hard to design something (in my earthy expierence) to sence subtle wind differences (if you propose blowing). And it would seem largly impractical to have a seperate "octave" button to tiddle around with (but heck, I make whistles with keys to be played by your pinkys, so what right do I have to criticize?). Also, there's be the whole 'tounging' thing to worry about, vibrato, playing between octaves quickly... etc. etc. etc.

I'm sorry if I sound like a downer here, truth is I'd love to have something slender, practical and electronic (no inuendo intended :really: ) to whip out and play in any key me heart desires or band requires. I just can't get my head around how to.

If anyone comes up with an idea, or finds one of these somewhere, please let me know!!!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
pureshift

Post by pureshift »

I would look into how Yamaha makes these. They've been making wind controllers like this for a while now and quite a few folks like them. I plan on getting one myself here eventually. You might want to check and see how they handle octaves, etc.
benbrad

Wind Controllers

Post by benbrad »

I've been checking out the wind controllers ever since I posted this idea and read the responces I've been getting from you guys about them. I think this thing is definately doable but I conservatively estimate that just the basic equipment needed will be somewhere betwee 1500 and 2000 bucks just to get my foot in the door. Of course then I have to twiddle with the software and somehow get hold of all the whistle sound samples. This could be quite an undertaking but as the scrrenwritter said "if you make it, they will come" (loosely translated). Where I see this as a real benefit is in the recording studio. Also I can just see some guy whipping this thing out at a concert and wowing an audience by switching to three or four different whistle types and registers in one song just by clicking a footswitch or thumbswitch and all at lightning speed. Thanks for the help and ideas. Please keep them coming.
Ben
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

FJohnSharp wrote:the guy from Gaelic Storm plays electronic pipes, so why not?
And a spanish fellow called Hevia plays some kind of synth bagpipe!
Casio have a synth sax on the market. It wouldn´t be that difficult for a whistler to adapt to such an instrument. But they are quite expensive (and heavy!).
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

pureshift wrote:I would look into how Yamaha makes these. They've been making wind controllers like this for a while now and quite a few folks like them. I plan on getting one myself here eventually. You might want to check and see how they handle octaves, etc.
Sounds as if Yamaha has worked out the "overblowing for the second octave" issue:

"Flute Fingering Mode
Similar to flute fingering, this mode is ideal for players who are familiar with flute fingering. Rather that continuous pitch bend in response to lip pressure, the pitch jumps up one octave when lip pressure is applied simulating the "overblow" octave shift on an acoustic flute."

I've begun using a Jamman looping device with my Celtic folk and it is opening up Huge new vistas.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Tommy...
Whilst you're Jamman your loop, I"m busy exploring Inner Meadows with my new MK Supergreen. Hooooo, yah! I'm too simple for electronics.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
a.proszynski

Midi whistle

Post by a.proszynski »

Guys from spain (www.vpipes.com) will make the midi version of whistle in near future. I have find this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP5sCEY3kN0
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

It's been discussed a few times before, do a search through the archives.
Heres one thread, look at Wanderer's post in particular:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ic+whistle
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've thought about this one a bit - and the whole fully electronic idea sounds like you're really creating a new instrument - that's fine but it won't be a whistle.

All that needs doing is to get some kind of pickup on a real whistle and then run it through the existing guitar stuff.

The big challenge will be discerning notes from feedback. :lol:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com