Seasoning an L & M bag

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mattpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Wanted to update my info here, as it was a couple of years out of date! Spending more time on my whistle these days, so hope to be participating in some conversations here.

Seasoning an L & M bag

Post by mattpiper »

I just got done shortening the neck on my L & M bag (makes a HUGE difference in reaching the regulators! Wow!), and am noticing it is not quite airtight. Close, but not perfect. The bag appears to have never been treated before (not hint of seasoning inside).

I've got some Hardie's airtight here, which I've used ao a ton of L & M bags for GHBs, but didn't know if the same stuff was appropriate for uilleann pipe bag use. Obviously, whatever I treat it with, I understand the bag will need to be left to dry for several days to avoid getting the reeds wet.

So Airtight? Or something else for uilleann pipe use? Thanks!
Matt Willis Bagpiper
http://www.mattpiper.com
[url]http://www,youtube.com/MattWillisBagpiper[/url]
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

You are not supposed to treat an L&M bag. They are already treated to be air-tight. This is not a GHB bag. If its leaking, then you haven't tied the stock back in well enough.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Check your tie-in job or simply redo it making certain to get it air-tight.

Like djm says, it isn't necessary to season an L&M bag.
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

i wish my neck of my bag was longer,not shorter.the chanter stock from my lambe pipes would not push up to the end of my new l+m bag,and i was forced to cut an inch or 2 off.had to use brass extention to reach my regs.next time i order a bag from tim britton ill have a chanter stock installed . :sniffle:
mattpiper
Tell us something.: Wanted to update my info here, as it was a couple of years out of date! Spending more time on my whistle these days, so hope to be participating in some conversations here.

Post by mattpiper »

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone!

Hmmm... The joint isn't leaking at the point of tie-in (I've tied in probably near 100 set of pipes); did the "old cork the chanter stock, stick just the end of the stock/bag it in some water" test and it didn't bubble at all (no, I didn't submerge the bag). It's more of an overall not quite tight thing--since it's not leaking at the point of tie-in, it was clearly not quite tight before hand as well, I just hadn't tested it.

I find all of this quite interesting, as I've never ran into a fully airtight GHB L & M bag (and they appear to use the same leather/tanning process). They always need a touch of seasoning to seal up the welt and fill in the pores. Or maybe I'm just super picky when it comes to airtightness!

If seasoning is a big no-no with a set of uilleann pipes, it looks like I'll need a new bag... Ick.

As for a shorter neck... I'm a short guy, so maybe that has something to do with it. All I know is before, I couldn't reach the top two rows of reg keys without kinking the neck (and often cutting the air supply off tot he chanter in the process). Now I can nearly reach all of the regs (top row still a bit awkward to hit), yet D/F-sharp on the bottom is still easily attained.
Matt Willis Bagpiper
http://www.mattpiper.com
[url]http://www,youtube.com/MattWillisBagpiper[/url]
Joseph E. Smith

Seasoning isn't a big no-=no, and if your bag is leaking air and all of the stocks and the blowpipe joint/valve aren't leaking, then check the valve on your bellows and the binding on the inlet from your chanter. If all is tighter than my wallet, perhaps seasoning will do the trick.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I've played in three separate L&M bags over the past ofur years and had no difficulties with any of them regarding air-tightness. This is an interesting case. I'd contact L&M directly and request a replacement. The leather they use should be perfectly airtight from the outset.
Joseph E. Smith

Yes, it is an interesting case. I've only owned L&M bags (GHB's and UP's) and only one of them had a leak. It was a quarter sized hole created by somebody thrusting their dagger into it while I was playing (long story), and no0 fault of the leather, bag or the L&M company.

edited to add: Actually, the last bag on my GHB's was a Canmore bag made out of Gortex, a great bag I might add.
djm

Post by djm »

L&M only sell wholesale to pipemakers as far as I know (this may have changed). You would then have to go through a pipemaker to get a new bag. My two L&M UP bags are about five years old and I've never had any leaks from them.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:...It was a quarter sized hole created by somebody thrusting their dagger into it while I was playing (long story)...
You can't leave us hanging like that. What happened? Was it a jealous husband? Did you die? Tell all!!
PJ
reedbiter

l & M leather...

Post by reedbiter »

L & M bags do not leak. At least not through the leather. It is especially designed, and I believe there is currently only one tannery in Canada that has the formula / manufacturing rights. That being said, if you know what you are looking for, you can almost always find this exact same stuff available at Tandy's right off the shelf.

Here's the trick. Put a bit of moisture (spit on your fingers and rub it onto a section on the smooth side of the hide, blow forcefully on the corresponding spot on the suede (fuzzy) side. Air will leak around the edges of your mouth. Look at the smooth shiny side at the moist area. If there are ANY bubbles, the leather is NO GOOD for either bellows or bag. Period. You can test your bellows the same way. Inflate yer bellows, plug the holes, dab a spot nice and moist and squeeze...if'n you have bubbles...you've got troubles! (oooh hey, new t-shirt!)
reedbiter

l & M leather...

Post by reedbiter »

L & M bags do not leak. At least not through the leather. It is especially designed, and I believe there is currently only one tannery in Canada that has the formula / manufacturing rights. That being said, if you know what you are looking for, you can almost always find this exact same stuff available at Tandy's right off the shelf.

Here's the trick. Put a bit of moisture (spit on your fingers and rub it onto a section on the smooth side of the hide, blow forcefully on the corresponding spot on the suede (fuzzy) side. Air will leak around the edges of your mouth. Look at the smooth shiny side at the moist area. If there are ANY bubbles, the leather is NO GOOD for either bellows or bag. Period. You can test your bellows the same way. Inflate yer bellows, plug the holes, dab a spot nice and moist and squeeze...if'n you have bubbles...you've got troubles! (oooh hey, new t-shirt!)
giggleswicksam

Post by giggleswicksam »

Yes indeed. L&M bags do not leak - at all. You can sit on them. You can have a good old game of footy (sorry, soccer) with it and then crack out a few tunes still. But for a leaky old bag, I've been using some of that microwavable Airtight stuff and it really does work! Leaky old bag = airtight bag. Watch it don't gum up your valves though. Also works on old coats and shoes. And as flypaper.
No E

Post by No E »

Matt-check your PMs

-Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

if your bag isnt leaking around the stocks season it with air tight.swish it around like you would do with a highland bag then ,plug the stocks and inflate it.then hang it up to drain it and let it dry for a few days.if it leaks after that then you are in real trouble.it shouldnt affect the reeds because you are not introducing moisture into the bag.i did it and my reed is ok.
mike spencer