What makes a "good" generation?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Peter Laban wrote: Which is the usual description Wanderer's uses when he mentions his attempts to play a whistle in tune and he has used it many times in the past in the context of Generation whistles. Your almost exact same choice of words did strike me as at least less original.
No, Peter. You have it wrong.

If a whistle requires you to push one note especially hard to be in tune, and the very next note needs to be blown especially softly, yes, that whistle can be played in tune. But that's a kind of "breath gymnastics" that many people would not tolerate.

I have not described Generations has requiring breath gymnastics in general. I do not believe, in general, that they do. I'm putting that in big red letters because you seem to keep missing that point.

Some of the specific Generations I have tried, and some specific whistles of other brands, including high end whistles, I have used that phrase to describe, because it was accurate for those whistles. My website makes clear that I can only review the whistle in my hand, and that I'm willing to take a second look at any whistle. I'm aware as anyone that there is variability even within brands, including Generations. It is my opinion, based upon the dozen or so I've tried, that Generations perhaps have more variability than some brands, but I admit it's been some years since I've had a batch of several. You yourself have described the process of going to search for Generations and weeding out about 75% of those at the store to focus on the four good ones you found.
Last edited by Wanderer on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

PhilO wrote:
crookedtune wrote:Listen, all. I know we're having fun here, but I just checked the book, and it says we have to stop slandering the Gens. Oh, well.... :cry:

Ah yes, but under real whistleblower statutes, a sub specialty in a former life, we are protected from retaliation as long as we complain about a covered topic to one of the named appropriate entities (in this case about whistles to this forum). The complaint itself may even turn out not to have merit which in no way detracts from said protections, unless it can be demonstrated that the complaint was made solely to keep one's status (herein as a blowbag whistler) for example as a rouse to avoid warranted disciplinary proceedings initiated prior to the lodging of said complaint; that is, said complaint must have been made timely. :D

Philo
Ya got me. I plead a fifth of Johnny Red.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Seems a good time to mention that, as I've pointed out before, some of the Generations I have are wonderful whistles.

Just not all of them.

In my experience, a Feadog pretty much equals a Feadog pretty much equals a Feadog, and Oaks seem very consistent whistle to whistle, to pick two popular brands of inexpensive whistle which I like quite a bit.

It's just not true of Generations. Every one is a bit different; some are excellent, some just ok, and some very bad.

The consistency whistle to whistle is just not there with Generations.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

peeplj wrote:Seems a good time to mention that, as I've pointed out before, some of the Generations I have are wonderful whistles.

Just not all of them.
That's exactly the point I've tried to point out before also...it just doesn't seem to stick with some people. I've mentioned that I've had, and really liked, some of the Generations I've played, and that I even played one with my band.

I guess some people have to see you polarized on an issue, whether you are or not.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wanderer wrote:
Peter Laban wrote: Which is the usual description Wanderer's uses when he mentions his attempts to play a whistle in tune and he has used it many times in the past in the context of Generation whistles. Your almost exact same choice of words did strike me as at least less original.
No, Peter. You have it wrong.
My point: you use 'breath gymnastics' and 'Generation's tuning' in the same breath regularly and noticed James suddenly started rehashing this. I don't give a fiddler's f*rt at this point what the detail of your posts were. That's not at issue. And I am not going to rehash the whole thing again.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Peter Laban wrote: I don't give a fiddler's f*rt at this point what the detail of your posts were.
That's become annoyingly obvious.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I suppose this is mutual, otherwise you would have not responded by stirring up an argument that was not at all relevant to the context and point of my reply to James.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Peter Laban wrote:I suppose this is mutual, otherwise you would have not responded by stirring up an argument that was not at all relevant to the context and point of my reply to James.
I stirred it up? You mentioned me, in the context of a position I did not take. I corrected you. You continue to mention my position, inaccurately. I have never made the claim the Generations require breath gymnastics, much less "regularly". In fact, I did a search.

I've used the phrase "breath gymnastics" 7 times on C&F, not counting this thread.

In three threads, they are threads about Generations.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ics#614483
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ics#606321
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ics#389968
All of these describe the exact same event: When I bought a box of whistles, at least one whistle could not be played in tune. Though in one post, I say "many" I can't in truth remember exactly how many, so I will only say "one" now because I know there was at least one. I use nearly the exact same phrasing, and in no way imply that Generations in general require it. Only that the (at least) one Generation I played couldn't be played in tune at all, even with pushing and pulling for all my might. I don't mention that any or all of the other Generations took extreme breath gymnastics to play, and if anyone walked away from my posts with that impression, that would be my failing. If someone walked away from my posts with the idea that all of the Generations I had were not tuned consistently against each other using similar breath, that would be a more accurate summary.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ics#476122
Explaining what I mean by "Breath gymnastics". There is no mention of generations here.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ics#474517
Swayne review, talking about blowing the whistle into pitch, but not requiring "breath gymnastics"

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ics#420067
Talking about a GFM the same way..no breath gymanstics.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ics#351883
Syn, describing that the breath requirements made it a little challenging for me, having to pull back on the D G and A. Some breath gymanstics.

If you take issue with James' use of the phrase to describe Generatoins, I don't have any argument in that fight. But if you mischaracterize my use of the phrase, I will correct you. I have not used it to describe Generations in general.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

So...let's see if we have this right. In a socio-chemical sense, if you boil the whole Generation War down to it's pure essence...you get a fiddler's F*rt?!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Would anyone on this thread like to argue about just intonation?

It seems the just intonation thread is losing some of its drama, just as this thread is going full steam.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well, what do you expect?

The rubber room's gone. What else are we allowed to argue about?

Best wishes,
Jerry
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

There could be a brawl about whether it's just intonation, or not.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

A-Musing wrote:There could be a brawl about whether it's just intonation, or not.
Or folks could just intone about generation gaps.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

I prefered one or more of my earlier generations... :wink: