A quick sleep related question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A quick sleep related question

Post by rorybbellows »

Does anyone know the name and cause of the phenomenon where by, just as you are on the verge of falling a sleep you suddenly and sometimes violently jump and are wide awake again ?

I always thought it was called an Alpha Jerk , but I goggled Alpha jerk and all I got was the band !!! so maybe it not that

RORY
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Hypnic Jerks (Edit: This link apparently requires a membership after letting you view it once. Grrr.)

More from Wikipedia.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Ah, yes, the hyp .... hypni .... hup ... hup .... myoclonic twitch. Fortunately, there is no band called Myoclonus or Myolconic Twitch (yet).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

The late, great Richard Boston, founder of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) in the UK, once claimed he coined a word to describe the state of being half-way twixt wakefulness and sleep, neither one nor t'other, during which such strange things can happen. His word was "hypnopompic." You wouldn't think he'd coined it if you google it. But that was Richard. :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I always feel like it's some last burst of electrical energy that has to be discharged before sleep can be restful.
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

In the Deep South (of USA, that is) we called it "catching a possum", but I suspect that isn't the medically recognized term.
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:I always feel like it's some last burst of electrical energy that has to be discharged before sleep can be restful.
I kinda go along with that bit of a theory.

I have been known to lie awake all night, with all sorts of thoughts having a rodeo in my head. The vast majority of those thoughts have little, if anything, to do with my day to day living.

I cannot keep up with the ceaseless procession of thoughts, any more than I can remember them once I eventuallly nod off.
A recent sleepless night I do remember was filled with strange and mysterious thoughts about the Polish economy..go figure.

Slan,
D. :-?

BTW, when all of this is going down..the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band are providing a nice soundtrack..I hear that as well.

D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote: I have been known to lie awake all night, with all sorts of thoughts having a rodeo in my head. The vast majority of those thoughts have little, if anything, to do with my day to day living.
This happens to me all too often, especially as of late. I seem to have too many random thoughts for my head to process during the day, so it's does the bulk of it when I'm trying to get to sleep. I rarely get to sleep before 1am these days. :P
Although, I will admit, my random, sleep-preventing thoughts are not punctuated by music provided by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

izzarina wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: I have been known to lie awake all night, with all sorts of thoughts having a rodeo in my head. The vast majority of those thoughts have little, if anything, to do with my day to day living.
This happens to me all too often, especially as of late. I seem to have too many random thoughts for my head to process during the day, so it's does the bulk of it when I'm trying to get to sleep. I rarely get to sleep before 1am these days. :P
Although, I will admit, my random, sleep-preventing thoughts are not punctuated by music provided by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

:lol:
When the head hits the pillow, all fraught and sleep-defying notions may be banished simply by recalling the words of the good Lord himself: sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. What a wise man! The eejits around him, and the ones who came after him in proselytising mode, were far more stupid. :D

Steve "rampant-atheist" Shaw :wink:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've always referred to them as "falling dreams" because there's a sensation of falling when I suddenly jerk awake.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I never knew what that was called, or that it had a proper name, until today. :)
Redwolf wrote:I've always referred to them as "falling dreams" because there's a sensation of falling when I suddenly jerk awake.

Redwolf
Apparently, the falling sensation in particular may be from evolution:

the wikipedia article above wrote:A more radical explanation is found in The Dragons of Eden, by Carl Sagan. This momentary consciousness and physicality are related to the time when our ancestors still slept in trees due to nocturnal ground predation. If you could be awakened enough to keep yourself from falling out of a tree, then you would presumably outlive your less evolved contemporaries, thus reinforcing this reaction over many generations of higher apes through natural selection. This also provides an explanation of the falling sensation
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've also heard it described as caused when your astral body is leaving your physical body at the beginning of sleep and suddenly gets jerked back in for some reason. Just saying what I heard. I live in California, after all.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

California Astral Backpressure.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Denny

Post by Denny »

TonyHiggins wrote:Just saying what I heard.
Were they from LA?

:oops: I forgot about Napa...nevermind. :wink:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

"Well I'm caught one more time..up on Cypress Avenue...."

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats