Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?

Post by izzarina »

When I woke up this morning, it was a whopping -18F. The wind chill was -34F. Our HIGH today ending up at 4F, which at least is above zero. Why is it that I decided that I wanted to move to upstate NY? If Mr. Izz weren't attending nursing school, I think I'd try to persuade him to move to some place much more balmy :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Black ice. Wow. We even had it here. On the way to work yesterday, three accidents in a 1/4 mile. People aren''t used to it, here.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

The Weekenders wrote:Black ice. Wow. We even had it here. On the way to work yesterday, three accidents in a 1/4 mile. People aren''t used to it, here.
I'm sure that we have black ice around somewhere (and we ARE used to it here), but my road is still covered in snow. Since it's not a main road, it doesn't get plowed as much. We ended up with about 7 inches of snow with this last storm. The snow (as much I hate to admit it) I can do. I hate this cold. :P
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Izz, I sympathize. Once, when our kids were small, we thought the week between Christmas and New Year would be an excellent time to visit Niagara Falls. I'm not saying it wasn't in many ways a fun trip, and I do have some really cute pics of the 4 kids in the whirlpool tub at the Niagara Falls Sheraton, but man...between Ithaca, Buffalo, and Niagara Falls that week I have never been so cold in my life. For the coldest Maryland winter I pack on long undies, several tops, a coat, hat, scarf, and gloves...but this--my strongest arsenal--was pitiful in the face of a New York winter. I would so be looking into Inuit fashion if I lived there.
missy

Post by missy »

our winter has been unusually mild here, until yesterday.
It was 16F this morning.

Ok, that's enough winter. Let's go back to the 50s.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

My Dear Izzy Wizzy,
Summer in my village is characterised by a cuttable humidity
and 90F
Only slicing the lagoon undresses it.

But then, there are sand flies during my dusk constitutionals.
The other eve I counted six lumps on my scalp.
:cry:

I am practising Yaman Raag in the cooler hours of night.

I eat mangoes and cantalope for my cooling breakfast.
:P
(with iced grapes)
:party:
Yours warmly
TS.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Oh Iz, I can sympathize.... and be thankful that our winter has not been bad so far. We haven't gotten into single didgets but once to date.

If there's one thing I hate more than snow it would be black ice. There's just no way to deal with it except pray, cross fingers, legs, toes, carry rabbit's feet and anything else that might give you luck. I once ended up doing a 180 degree turn (instead of turning a curve)at about 15 mph on a very narrow backroad and luckily came to rest up against the bank. The other side was a straight drop off to the creek below, not a good alternative. I had to drive about a mile back to get to a spot wide enough to turn around and try it again, v-e-r-y slowly.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Ahhh...the North Country. I used to go to school in Potsdam. It's frigid up there!

Sometimes I miss it. (I live in central NY now.)

But I hate admitting that to myself.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
djm

Post by djm »

Weird but true. Its much colder south of me, and much more snow. I guess I'll just have to "suffer" through another Canadian winter. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

We had a skating rink outside our church in downtown Santa Cruz on Sunday. We turn the sprinklers on at random times at night to discourage the drug dealers from using our bushes as a toilet, and didn't think to turn off the timer with the cold front moving in. I wish I'd had a video camera...one of our tenors decided to go "skating"...in his choir vestments! It was a scary thing, though, for some of our older parishioners, as the "rink" was on the side of the church where the wheelchair ramp is. We had to send some ushers outside to make sure no one fell.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Denny

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:but my road is still covered in snow.
...but Izz, it fills in the pot holes! :wink:
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Crysania wrote:Ahhh...the North Country. I used to go to school in Potsdam. It's frigid up there!
Potsdam -- I love that town. I did some work in the summer at Clarkson a few years ago, and I love that downtown. I'm pretty sure I saw Jimmy Stewart and Ward Bond and Frank Faylen there.

Once I mentioned to one of the locals, a fellow who had moved there from the Midwest 25 years earlier, that I liked the place and told him that of all places I had been assigned, Potsdam was the only one I had ever even entertained a thought of moving to. And he said, "I like it. I haven't had to shovel the snow off the roof for three or four years now."
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

gonzo914 wrote:
Crysania wrote:Ahhh...the North Country. I used to go to school in Potsdam. It's frigid up there!
Potsdam -- I love that town. I did some work in the summer at Clarkson a few years ago, and I love that downtown. I'm pretty sure I saw Jimmy Stewart and Ward Bond and Frank Faylen there.
How funny! I'm actually about 10 mins away from Potsdam. I also attended SUNY :) Potsdam is, by far the best town in this part of the northern tier. It has oodles of culture, which I love. But yes, it is frigid. The only drawback ;)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

talasiga wrote:My Dear Izzy Wizzy,
Summer in my village is characterised by a cuttable humidity
and 90F
Only slicing the lagoon undresses it.

But then, there are sand flies during my dusk constitutionals.
The other eve I counted six lumps on my scalp.
:cry:

I am practising Yaman Raag in the cooler hours of night.

I eat mangoes and cantalope for my cooling breakfast.
:P
(with iced grapes)
:party:
Yours warmly
TS.
That was just cold, Tally. Absolutely cold.

:lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Redwolf wrote: I wish I'd had a video camera...one of our tenors decided to go "skating"...in his choir vestments!
:lol: That is really funny, Red! It must have been quite a sight!
Denny wrote:...but Izz, it fills in the pot holes! ;)
Am I supposed to think more positively now that you've pointed that out to me, Denny? :lol:

Emm...I can't believe that you went to Niagara in WINTER! You all must have been positively freezing! Although, it doesn't get as cold as it does here, I'd wager to bet that it's cold by the falls in a big way. Makes me even colder just thinking about it.