New Boston uilleann pipers club

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

I'll take a stab at a few here (from left to right back row first):

Jonathan Hohl Kennedy
Alex from UPB
Mr. Patrick Hutchinson

-- Fill in the blanks --
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

"ever cheerful and bouncy Patrick Hutchinson"
As my kids say: "sarcasm alert!"

The chanters are by Patsy Brown.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
What I want to know is, who owns all those Taylor chanters?
You noticed that as well! The boehm flute keyed chnater looks interesting as well
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

bensdad wrote:"ever cheerful and bouncy Patrick Hutchinson"
As my kids say: "sarcasm alert!"

The chanters are by Patsy Brown.
Patsy Brown eh? Cool.

Sarcasm? Moi? Nooo!!! :twisted:
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Richard Katz »

The good lookin' fellow in the middle with the red tartan bag cover is Frank Gibbons who used to live in the Bay Area. He is from Ireland.

Cheers! Richard
fgibbons
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Post by fgibbons »

Paul Reid wrote:Image

I'll take a stab at a few here (from left to right back row first):

Jonathan Hohl Kennedy
Alex from UPB
Mr. Patrick Hutchinson

-- Fill in the blanks --
Left to right: back row as above, then Colin, Steve (holding a couple of Patsy Brown chanters), and Carl.
Front row: John , Molly , yours truly (holding what has been termed the "Austin Powers of bag covers"), Siobhán, and Andrew.

Not bad for a first meeting, if I say so myself.... We had a blast. I'll post a pointer here once we've worked out details of next meeting - if anyone has suggestions for a weeknight location that is accessible by public transportation (many don't have cars, and parking is tricky), feel free to pm me.

I'll see some of you in San Francisco next month.

-Frank
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Next meeting of Boston uilleann pipers' club

Post by fgibbons »

fgibbons wrote: Not bad for a first meeting, if I say so myself.... We had a blast. I'll post a pointer here once we've worked out details of next meeting - if anyone has suggestions for a weeknight location that is accessible by public transportation (many don't have cars, and parking is tricky), feel free to pm me.
February is a short month, so our Feb. meeting will take place next Thursday, March 1st. It's at University Lutheran Church, 66 Winthrop St., Harvard Sq. We're meeting 7-9pm. Read the posting on our group (http://groups.google.com/group/boston-uilleann-pipers) for more details: http://groups.google.com/group/boston-u ... 6c442e38b9

-Frank
fgibbons

April meeting coming up soon

Post by fgibbons »

Just a heads-up: the Boston-area uilleann pipers' club is meeting this Sunday afternoon, April 1st. For more details, check out the club's pages at http://groups.google.com/group/boston-uilleann-pipers

There's a mailing list (with archives), photos from previous meetings. Anyone can join, all are welcome. See you there!

-Frank
fgibbons

May meeting

Post by fgibbons »

The Boston-area uilleann pipers' club experimented last month with a Sunday meeting. Since turn-out seemed no different from weeknight meetings, and some of use prefer weeknights, we're going back to that this month.

Next meeting is Thursday, May 3rd, from 7pm onwards at the Lutheran church, in Cambridge, MA. Directions, parking suggestions (such as they are!), etc. are on the club's website, http://groups.google.com/group/boston-uilleann-pipers.

There you'll also find pictures from past meetings (in high-res and also thumbnail, for our dial-up friends ;-)), a few audio files of what we sound like, etc.

See you there!

-Frank
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

That address doesn't work with a period at the end, so click on this: http://groups.google.com/group/boston-uilleann-pipers
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

New Boston Uilleann Pipers Club: where's New Boston?

T
The Great Northern
...Uilleann Pipers' Club
Uilleann915

Post by Uilleann915 »

There's actually a New Boston in New Hampshire, I believe. :P
"....if I had known then, what I know now...." e.v.
Joseph E. Smith

Uilleann915 wrote:There's actually a New Boston in New Hampshire, I believe. :P
Isn't New Boston a fairly common food joint? New Boston Market?

Great photos btw. Nice to see girl power, keep the faith gals! Am I seeing things, or is Patrick Hutchinson actually smiling in one or two of those photos? :lol: :P
bensdad

ha

Post by bensdad »

Mr. Wit Incarnate said: "Am I seeing things, or is Patrick Hutchinson actually smiling in one or two of those photos"

I believe that "smile" is known in the literature as "rictus hiberniaticus inguinalis." The symptoms were an aversion to lifting heavy objects, and a sudden unexplainable obsession with Scottish music.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: ha

bensdad wrote:
I believe that "smile" is known in the literature as "rictus hiberniaticus inguinalis." The symptoms were an aversion to lifting heavy objects, and a sudden unexplainable obsession with Scottish music.
My, that does sound like a desparate state of affairs.

However, I have it on good athority that a certain folk remedy (which generously combines Export-A's with quite a few tumblers of a particular Irish spirit) clinically referred to as bottomsupus adfumar, seems to relieve these symptoms more than just a little. :D

edited to add: And as for Mr. Wit Incarnate, I think that may be a bit too strong. Try reducing it a bit. Mr. Half-wit Incarnate seems a better fit. :wink: