Marching flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Marching flutes

Post by I.D.10-t »

Does anyone have experiences with these?

Miller Browne Bb

They use to make generation whistles and just wonder what the "marching flutes" were and what they were like.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

New material....high pitch....plain head. No picture. Sure doesn't give you much to go on. A composite-material Bb fife, I'd guess.... :-?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

crookedtune wrote:New material....high pitch....plain head. No picture. Sure doesn't give you much to go on. A composite-material Bb fife, I'd guess.... :-?
No, not a fife (by American understanding(?)), but something that is suppose to be in tune. There are other modles with keys and stuff.

marching flute
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pfife

Post by Sillydill »

Hey I.D.10-t

I would be willing to bet these are the same as the Empire Brass Bb flutes being sold on Ebay (made in India). I have also seen ebonite/poly.. keyed flutes in F, which I believe are also made in India.

I thought you had a McDonagh fife (marching flute), which I would certainly think is better! :)

All the Best!

Jordan
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hey - stop disparaging these instruments! Listen to this description right off their site:
The flutes are manufactured from a new material, practically unbreakable which has a tonal quality
The emphasis is mine, but the material has a tonal quality! What more could you ask for in an instrument?

Eric
I.D.10-t

Re: Pfife

Post by I.D.10-t »

Sillydill wrote:I thought you had a McDonagh fife (marching flute), which I would certainly think is better!
Nope, My main ax is my Peeler fife and don't see that changing for quite some time (if ever).

Mostly curious if they were like the plastic recorders played in the US schools or what. I don't think they are used for the Fasnacht in Basel

Site with photos of the Miller Browne Bb
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

Never paid any particular attention but I see Miller Brownes rather often on eBay. Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Miller-Browne-3-Pei ... dZViewItem
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

miller browne

Post by david quinn »

I have played one

Miller Browne/ Barnes and Mullins have made musical instruments for years early 1900s at least. These b flat instruments are very good we have used the 5 key model and they are easy to repair and realatively cheap. Good for the money