What's the deal with Molloy's Black album?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

On 2002-09-30 19:30, Loren wrote:
Speaking of Bb's G., did you get yours yet?

Loren
Well, Loren. In fact I have not. I keep planning to call Pat about this, but I've been travelling too much in Asia. He told me six weeks ago that it would be done in 3 weeks. He needs a phone call to prod him.
glauber

Post by glauber »

In the end, it's all a question of taste, but the "Black Album" was what got me started in Irish music, years ago, and it's still a great source of inspiration. I don't get tired of listening to it. It's not overstated, it's just the flute and zouki (and excellent zouki work, by the way, by Donal Luny!), or solo flute. I *love* the Templehouse, Stacker Wallace, Bucks of Oranmore, etc (quoting from memory).
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I just got Matt Molloy's "Heathery Breeze" and its definitely made it to my top 5 list of flute music CDs. This is really really good stuff, a jaw-dropping album. Molloy's technique on this album is really great and compliments the tunes well. The accompaniment by Donal Lunny is simple, and definitely more creative than on "The Black Album". If you found Molloy's "Mason's Apron" rendition thrilling, you'll love this album. It has a good mix of show pieces and slow reels and other tunes.

I'm not sure if its the producing/mixing etc, but it seems that the later Matt Molloy albums feature a greater versatility in tone, from reedy to round, and greater use of diaphragmatic emphasis, as compared to his older albums like "The Black Album", Noel Hill and Tony Linnane's self-titled album and the Molloy/Brady/Peeples "Mighty session album".
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Oh, come now Eld, you can't like the version on Heathery Breeze (of Mason's Apron). It's so syrupy! I think the absolute best version I've ever heard (recorded) is on The Chieftains: An Irish Evening. MUCH much much MUCH better than the studio-recorded one on HB. Fiery.

Though, maybe you like the studio stuff better, since you prefer Heathery Breeze to the Black Album. But give it a listen if you can; Molloy plays the tune at maybe twice the speed on Irish Evening and very well at that.

Stuart
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Double check your track listings, Mason's Apron isn't on "Heathery Breeze." I beleive it's on "Shadows on Stone."
Cheers,
Aaron
sturob

Post by sturob »

Well, whichever, it's too syrupy vs. the version on An Irish Evening.

:wink:

Stuart
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2002-11-12 10:29, sturob wrote:
Oh, come now Eld, you can't like the version on Heathery Breeze (of Mason's Apron). It's so syrupy! I think the absolute best version I've ever heard (recorded) is on The Chieftains: An Irish Evening. MUCH much much MUCH better than the studio-recorded one on HB. Fiery.
Yes Stuart thats the version I'm refering to - you might be confusing "Heathery Breeze" with "Shadows on the Stone", which is quite syrupy/"produced". I don't like syrupy stuff myself, prefering the raw sound. "Heathery Breeze" definitely sounded more raw to me than "Black Album".

The "Black Album" had an almost muffled, I hesitate to say, "one dimensional tone" to his flute (as did many earlier albums that featured Molloy). That made me wonder if it was because of him or the recording engineers.

Anyway my point is that the showpieces in "Heathery Breeze" sound more like what Molloy sounded like in that live "Mason's Apron" recording.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Oh, OK. Well, only one of Shadows or Breeze has Mason's Apron on it, so we're talking about the same thing.

I still think that both of them are too produced relative to Black, but again, that's just my opinion. In a way, I think all these albums are quite interesting, in that I am AMAZED at the range of Molloy's playing. He can go from Liam-O'Flynn-esque (Shadows) to Seamus-Ennis-esque (Black) . . .

But hey, that's why there are different albums. And I think it speaks to Molloy's virtuosity.

Group hug.

Stuart
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

that version of Mason's that Matt plays (in G) is derived from the definitive fiddle version I believe.
I won't disagree that the Live version is much better. Molloy (having seen him several times, as many of you have) seems to like to bounce between the Mason's and Moving Cloud in his favorite solo tunes on stage.
If you ever wanted to understand (or just appreciate) the smoothness of his playing, you should listen alternately to his version of Moving Cloud and the one Flatley plays on his first album. Both great versions of this tune, but Molloy's is like eating silk chocolate (wonderfully easy on the palate)whereas Flatley is like German chocolate...grittier and robust.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2002-11-13 12:39, David Migoya wrote:
that version of Mason's that Matt plays (in G) is derived from the definitive fiddle version I believe.
Yup you're right.. the version is Sean Mcguire's rendition of it. Incidentally I've had the good fortune of seeing Molloy do both Moving Cloud and Mason's Apron in concert :smile: He did Moving Cloud for the first night's concert and Mason's Apron on the second night. Really really cool..
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

You're right about cool.
Get this: One year when he played Moving Cloud, at the after-concert party I mentioned to him how much I enjoyed that rendition that night. His reply: "Aye, it was okay. I was trying a few things that didn't quite work out the way I wanted, though."
I stood stumped for several minutes with that thought. Matt Molloy making mistakes. Huh. I couldn't even fathom. God knows I didn't hear them!
energy

Post by energy »

On 2002-11-12 10:29, sturob wrote:
I don't suppose you've heard of celtic rock group Ceili Rain? No, I don't suppose you have. I don't care for them, my sister listens to them. Anyway, the vocals are pure rock vocals, and the instrumentals are pretty much typical rock stuff only with whistle, accordion, pipes, etc., really rather odd. Anyway, smack dab in the middle of one of their albums amidst all this odd "pseudo-Celtic" stuff is one of the best back slappin' renditions of The Mason's Apron I've heard. Really sad all that talent is going to waste on a band like that...hmmm. I have a vague feeling this post is off topic. That said, I 'll think I 'll end it now. :grin:
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

On 2002-11-16 03:46, energy wrote:
amidst all this odd "pseudo-Celtic" stuff is one of the best back slappin' renditions of The Mason's Apron I've heard. Really sad all that talent is going to waste on a band like that...hmmm. I have a vague feeling this post is off topic. That said, I 'll think I 'll end it now. :grin:
Of course, you realize that this band may listen to pure-drop players and think "what a waste, all that talent, and all they're doing with it is playing rehashed stuff for a really limited audience." Or something along those lines. Probably many blues afficianados heard Clapton or Hendrix and thought, if only they stuck to 12 bar...
I guess it's all relative to what you want to do with your playing.
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

I don't suppose you've heard of celtic rock group Ceili Rain? No, I don't suppose you have. I don't care for them, my sister listens to them. Anyway, the vocals are pure rock vocals, and the instrumentals are pretty much typical rock stuff only with whistle, accordion, pipes, etc., really rather odd. Anyway, smack dab in the middle of one of their albums amidst all this odd "pseudo-Celtic" stuff is one of the best back slappin' renditions of The Mason's Apron I've heard. Really sad all that talent is going to waste on a band like that...hmmm. I have a vague feeling this post is off topic. That said, I 'll think I 'll end it now. :grin:
That sorta' sounds like what the Dropkick Murphys do...Personally, DKM's are one of my favorite bands.

Brent
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

That sorta' sounds like what the Dropkick Murphys do...Personally, DKM's are one of my favorite bands.

Brent