A possessed chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A possessed chanter

Post by rorybbellows »

About two years ago a friend of mine Patsy Flynn had a new boxwood chanter made for him by Tom Trant a flute maker from just outside ventry, west of Dingle. It,s a beautiful piece of work(pitched in B ) with lovely turning in the boxwood .But Shortly after getting the chanter Patsy noticed his style of playing on the chanter changed from his normal fast playing into a very slow plodding style and it was only on this chanter that he,d played this way, when he played his concert pitch set he was back to his fast way of playing .He asked me too have a go of it , to see what I thought and I couldn,t believe it when I tried to play it,the chanter would just not let you play fast .When you tried to play fast the sound would just not come out ,but when you got the pace of the chanter it would play beautifully.,it was amazing .Anyway I suggested to Patsy ,he should it back to Tom Trant to see what was the problem .
Ole tom was stumped himself ,even with different reeds, the chanter would not play any faster than it wanted too .After they had given up for the day they were in the kitchen having a cup of tea and Patsy started asking a few questions about the chanter ..It turns out the boxwood used for the chanter was got from an old graveyard near anascaul that was being cleared by the council of overgrown shrubs and bushes.
Tom Trant heard about the work and went to see if there was anything worth taking as he knew that boxwood is common in graveyards .All he got was the one bush that he made the chanter from .A week or so later Patsy and Tom were up in the graveyard and Tom showed Patsy exactly where the boxwood was cut from ,It was right next to a grave marked Edward( Ned )McCarty who died in 1962 .
About a month after that Patsy and Myself were at a session in Ballyferriter and we got talking to an old accordian player John Foley who,s in his eighties.It turns out he knew Ned McCarty and he was telling us he was a piper who he played with many years ago and the thing about Ned was that he was the slowest piper that John had ever heard .In fact he was so slow and steady he was employed by a local dancing teacher for play for beginners .Needless to say the shivers were running up and down my back and up the back of my neck.
The boxwood used to make the chanter was nourished by the decaying remains of Ned McCarty.and now the chanter will only play the way Ned played .
I refused to play the chanter after that but Patsy says it doesn,t bother him and he cherishes it now and says he plays it as a tribute to Ned!!

RORY
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

:lol: :lol:

Spooky man.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Watch. There'll be a rush to plant boxwood plants near the graves of Ennis, Clancy, Touhy ...

Great story!!
PJ
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

This should be a Stephen King plot line.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I'm getting the boogie-chills :boggle:

tk
wgority
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by wgority »

You see........that's what happens when you don't harvest the boxwood on the night of a new moon in January!
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cool.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

fel bautista wrote:This should be a Stephen King plot line.
Well, if the chanter starts reeding itself and answering to "Christine", I'm outta here... :o
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

AH LAWDY- my thoughts exactly- lots of chrome keys and it still out of tune; and it plays slow....
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I have heard these kind of ramblings told for entertainment during concerts, from visiting Irish lads, as a lead-in to the next set of tunes. Are you about to play us a tune, Rory? :D
alurker

Post by alurker »

Lorenzo wrote:I have heard these kind of ramblings told for entertainment during concerts, from visiting Irish lads, as a lead-in to the next set of tunes.

......more like as a way of delaying having to play the next set of tunes. :wink:
Uilleann915

Post by Uilleann915 »

That was different and refreshing. :lol:
"....if I had known then, what I know now...." e.v.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Could be the throat of the chanter is a bit too narrow.

David
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I possess a chanter :boggle:

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilliam wrote:I possess a chanter :boggle:

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
... and an Uilleann Pipe forum. :lol: