parlez-vous ... ?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

parlez-vous ... ?

Post by rh »

Bilingualism delays onset of dementia

By David Ljunggren Fri Jan 12, 4:13 PM ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) - People who are fully bilingual and speak both languages every day for most of their lives can delay the onset of dementia by up to four years compared with those who only know one language, Canadian scientists said on Friday.

Researchers said the extra effort involved in using more than one language appeared to boost blood supply to the brain and ensure nerve connections remained healthy -- two factors thought to help fight off dementia.

"We are pretty dazzled by the results," Professor Ellen Bialystok of Toronto's York University said in a statement.

"In the process of using ... two languages, you are engaging parts of your brain, parts of your mind that are active and need that kind of constant exercise and activity, and with that experience (it) stays more robust," she later told CTV television.
full story at http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070112/hl_ ... lingual_dc
there is no end to the walking
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm not surprised by those findings at all.
While I am far from being tri, or even bi-lingual, I do struggle daily to exercise my brain in French and Spanish. The mental effort involved is nearly palpaple. There is reason to press on, apart from my fantasy of being Data or C-3PO.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

What amazes me is the many tri-lingual people here in Montreal. I live in a mostly Italian neighbourhood, and when I go to the stores and banks around here the cashiers will frequently talk to one customer in rapid-fire Italian (with no accent), then switch seamlessly to Québecois French to talk with another customer (again with no accent), and then to English (no accent) to speak with another. These are people who grew up speaking Italian at home with their parents, and French and English in school. I started too late to ever become truly bilingual, but my goal is to be able to speak both continental French (with my girlfriend, who's from Brittany) and Québecois French (with her daughter, who was born here), with no accent. And then I want to learn Japanese!
Lucas
Location: where the beer is good and plenty (that be Belgium)

Post by Lucas »

bradhurley wrote:What amazes me is the many tri-lingual people here in Montreal. I live in a mostly Italian neighbourhood, and when I go to the stores and banks around here the cashiers will frequently talk to one customer in rapid-fire Italian (with no accent), then switch seamlessly to Québecois French to talk with another customer (again with no accent), and then to English (no accent) to speak with another. These are people who grew up speaking Italian at home with their parents, and French and English in school. I started too late to ever become truly bilingual, but my goal is to be able to speak both continental French (with my girlfriend, who's from Brittany) and Québecois French (with her daughter, who was born here), with no accent. And then I want to learn Japanese!
Speaking a foreign language without any accent is terribly difficult. Living where I live I come in contact with a lot of bilingual people, but I hardly ever meet someone who is able to speak without an accent.
Speaking both continental French and Québecois seems almost impossible to me. I think I would slip from one to the other and vice versa without even noticing.
Digiti animaque non satis
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I've been standing on my head to increase bloodflow. But that's only since the dementia started. (I get weird looks in the supermarket).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Lucas wrote:
Speaking both continental French and Québecois seems almost impossible to me. I think I would slip from one to the other and vice versa without even noticing.
Exactly. Which is why I want to try...small challenges never interest me much; it takes a big one to motivate me.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The language arts have never been my strong suit, and you have to play the hand that you were dealt with. I tried to learn German in college, and later I signed up for several classes in Spoken Spanish, only to drop out in embarassment because I was unable to speak correctly when called upon in class. My thought is that other than bilingualism there surely must be an easier way to ward off diment
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, but I don't understand how standing on your head in the supermarket is supposed to ward off dementors. :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Speaking a foreign language without any accent is terribly difficult. Living where I live I come in contact with a lot of bilingual people, but I hardly ever meet someone who is able to speak without an accent.
it is but it depends on how you acquire your language. My son (13) has fluent English and Dutch and a fair bit of Irish without accent (ignoring the strong Irish/Clare component of his English).
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

djm wrote:Sorry, but I don't understand how standing on your head in the supermarket is supposed to ward off dementors. :boggle:

djm
You mean you think I'm too late?

True about the languages, though. Same goes for oldsters who do puzzles, learn new music, actively pursue new hobbies or studies. Physical and mental exercise are both proven to help reduce severity and postpone onset of dementia. It's one more reason to get off the couch, turn off the TV, and join the living!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
brianc

Re: parlez-vous ... ?

Post by brianc »

rh wrote:
Bilingualism delays onset of dementia

By David Ljunggren Fri Jan 12, 4:13 PM ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) - People who are fully bilingual and speak both languages every day for most of their lives can delay the onset of dementia by up to four years compared with those who only know one language, Canadian scientists said on Friday.

Researchers said the extra effort involved in using more than one language appeared to boost blood supply to the brain and ensure nerve connections remained healthy -- two factors thought to help fight off dementia.

"We are pretty dazzled by the results," Professor Ellen Bialystok of Toronto's York University said in a statement.

"In the process of using ... two languages, you are engaging parts of your brain, parts of your mind that are active and need that kind of constant exercise and activity, and with that experience (it) stays more robust," she later told CTV television.
full story at http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070112/hl_ ... lingual_dc
Owway, at'sthay ettypray amazingway.

Oesday Igpay Atinlay Ountcay?
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: parlez-vous ... ?

Post by anniemcu »

brianc wrote:Oesday Igpay Atinlay Ountcay?
Erhapspey...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

Does music count as a second language?

My best second language is German but I really really don't like it much anymore. I thought about finding a Mennonite husband so I could practice it more, but that never worked out. Hebrew is beautiful but basically useless for me in terms of speaking, although I love the deeper understanding of the Bible that Hebrew gives you (both Testaments).

Andway asway anymay eoplepay erehay owknay, Iway ovelay Igpay Atinlay. Iway eakspay itway uentlyfay (avinghay earnedlay itway inway uniorjay ighhay oolschay) andway Iway ovelay ehwhay otherway eoplepay eakspay itway ellway enoughway otay avehay away onversationcay ithway emay. :)
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Cranberry wrote:Does music count as a second language?

My best second language is German but I really really don't like it much anymore. I thought about finding a Mennonite husband so I could practice it more, but that never worked out. Hebrew is beautiful but basically useless for me in terms of speaking, although I love the deeper understanding of the Bible that Hebrew gives you (both Testaments).

Andway asway anymay eoplepay erehay owknay, Iway ovelay Igpay Atinlay. Iway eakspay itway uentlyfay (avinghay earnedlay itway inway uniorjay ighhay oolschay) andway Iway ovelay ehwhay otherway eoplepay eakspay itway ellway enoughway otay avehay away onversationcay ithway emay. :)
Actually, music is a language.

And I can embarrass myself in several, get to the bathroom in most any, and order your mother's left shoe in at least two...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com